Prospect Info: Ben Harpur

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Thanks for posting this.

I don't think Harpur makes the team out of camp. I think Liljiegren or Schmaltz get the right spot on the 3rd pair. But If Harpur does get the job, now I'll know why.

We do need a steady PK guy, and the team is definately lacking in grit. I'm not a big believer that a team needs much grit. But it is an element that we lack. If Harpur makes the team, I'll root for the guy.
He is going to make the team. We lost all of our toughness with Kadri gone. There are times in tough games when teams are gunning our goalie when you need Harpur to bust someone up. He knows what he needs to do. Just keep things simple- play PK ... clear the net, use his extra large reach advantage, eat pucks on boards, block shots and ice puck. on his few ES shifts help Dermott get puck out of our end. and when someone runs Freddy then bust him up bad. Put a bad hurt on a few people and it will get around league quick.

Reactions: SHANNYPLAN and qqaz

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Even if he impresses I still see them sending him down to get top line minutes so that's why I left him out.
His ELC and UFA clock both start this season, so I think if he is the best option they will keep him. Next year due to the cap he may be forced into a top 4 role right off the bat. Best to give him the experience at the highest level this year.

Reactions: ZippityDooDa

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I'd say, a little worse.
Freddy will get more shots but i think you will see his high danger shots reduce. Forwards always get a little tentative and intimidated when they know they might have to face up to a big man. It is why Chara has been a force for so many years,

ZippityDooDa

Dec 22, 2018
You think we got worse defensively this year?? :laugh:

That's a hot take and a half.

Nah just a single hot take. Yes we'll move the puck better but we're gonna have just as many if not more issues in our own zone.
I think our GF goes up slightly but so does our GA.
Go ahead and hate on me, just something I see happening.

ZippityDooDa

Dec 22, 2018
His ELC and UFA clock both start this season, so I think if he is the best option they will keep him. Next year due to the cap he may be forced into a top 4 role right off the bat. Best to give him the experience at the highest level this year.

Hope he gets the spot. Not like his partner is going to make him look bad at least while Dermott is out. Will really help boost his development.

Reactions: kb

ZippityDooDa

Dec 22, 2018

kb was your crazy ex named Steph? lmao

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
@qqaz

Who do you have making the team at LD with Dermott injured?

Well I actually mistakenly thought Harpur was a righty until today. So I had assumed Gravel would be in for the start of the season.

But it looks like Harpur, now that I'm caught up and know that he shoots left.

I dont know Kivihalme enough to make a guess on him until I see him with my eyes in preseason.

ZippityDooDa

Dec 22, 2018
Nope! Lol My ex sounds exactly like that whole convo. I just kept nodding after each post.

There are a lot of them out there. Scary.. lol

ahah I hear ya. I just feel like my ex screwed enough dudes that the odds might have been good lmao. Sorry mods!

ZippityDooDa

Dec 22, 2018
Well I actually mistakenly thought Harpur was a righty until today. So I had assumed Gravel would be in for the start of the season.

But it looks like Harpur, now that I'm caught up and know that he shoots left.

I dont know Kivihalme enough to make a guess on him until I see him with my eyes in preseason.

Kivihalme is like the opposite player to Harpur. Another soft, skilled, fast, puck mover (another Rosen?). Babcock will likely want Harpur and the sandpaper he brings that we lack.

Reactions: teddygmr and qqaz

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Nah just a single hot take. Yes we'll move the puck better but we're gonna have just as many if not more issues in our own zone.
I think our GF goes up slightly but so does our GA.
Go ahead and hate on me, just something I see happening.
No matter what way you slice it, I think Barrie and Ceci are much better than Zaitsev and Gardiner - offensively and defensively.

Reactions: teddygmr

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Kivihalme is like the opposite player to Harpur. Another soft, skilled, fast, puck mover (another Rosen?). Babcock will likely want Harpur and the sandpaper he brings that we lack.

I think Harpur-Kivihalme could be our 3rd pair to start the season, unless Liljegren steals a spot.

Schmaltz, Marincin as the extras.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018

Good to know. Thanks for the quick breakdown.

Just from looking up online stuff, Kivihalme's clearly not a big guy. I agree with you, it doesn't look good for him if he's up against Harpur on a soft roster run by Babcock.

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
the only thing that gets me to think we may have a place for harpur is the way domi constantly took runs at our guys especially in the last game going after aj. we needed a deterrent even if he is the 7th dman . at least having that option is a good thing

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Harpur-640x360.jpg

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
He can knock you upside the head and make your brain shake ... first time you feel that then you know you are in a hockey game

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
If Harpur was a RHD, he could have been a good bet to stick on a Dermott-Harpur 3rd pairing.

....... then again, if Dermott was a RHD it would solve a lot of problems as well..... :dunno:

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
I don't know a thing about Ben Harpur (hats off to him though) but physicality ain't getting him in this lineup. Every single physical player except Hyman has been shipped out. I don't necessarily disagree with his approach but clearly physicality isn't what management and/or the coaching staff is looking for.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Open Battle in camp
3LD
Harpur/Gravel/Marincin Darkhorses: Kivihalme/Sandin
3RD
Schmaltz/Holl Darkhorses: Liljegren/Lindgren

Winning Pairing is then battling between each other to be Dermott's partner when he returns.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
I mean the man playes rugged and tough with his puffs he ain't no joke y'all already knew. The man has size and talent (violence) in him. He might be one of our wished punishers (like the series) if our martin dream came true. Then we'd have a marriage with hyman, agostino, ceci and harpur. They finna punish some, but not enough sire. Y'all better recognize.

Reactions: jaric1862

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
I mean the man playes rugged and tough with his puffs he ain't no joke y'all already knew. The man has size and talent (violence) in him. He might be one of our wished punishers (like the series) if our martin dream came true. Then we'd have a marriage with hyman, agostino, ceci and harpur. They finna punish some, but not enough sire. Y'all better recognize.
Your posts remind me of reading Shakespeare in high school. Makes me feel like a fool, Senor.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->