Prospect Info: Ben Harpur

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I think he rotates with Borgman as Dermott's partner next year. Could play with Holl while Dermott is out.

With PK minutes, he could get in 16 or 17 minutes a night.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
and Gravel, where does he fit in?

Marlies 100%. Same with Marincin IMO. We need Marincin and Gravel to be vet mentors on the young Marlies defense ideally. They are the only real vets we have for down there.

Reactions: rumman

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
I think he rotates with Borgman as Dermott's partner next year. Could play with Holl while Dermott is out.

With PK minutes, he could get in 16 or 17 minutes a night.

How good he is on the PK could determine his fate.

Looking forward to seeing him in training camp.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Solid skater for a 6'6" defenseman. Engages physically and will drop the gloves. Pretty meh with the puck obviously but had a good spurt of offence with Belleville last season.

I wouldn't expect much but he could be a solid defenseman to rotate in and out.

Between him and Justin Holl, we have 2 pretty big and good skating depth defenseman.

bonjovi0308

Jan 26, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Solid skater for a 6'6" defenseman. Engages physically and will drop the gloves. Pretty meh with the puck obviously but had a good spurt of offence with Belleville last season.

I wouldn't expect much but he could be a solid defenseman to rotate in and out.

Between him and Justin Holl, we have 2 pretty big and good skating depth defenseman.
How does he compared to, Polak?

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Has a better chance to remain in the lineup until Dermott returns. Still might be on that bottom pairing even after that though. Don't think he's Marlies bound.

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
Ben Harpur is actually quite soft; he never looks to impose physically, and relents when hitting. Hopefully he identifies this need for improvement, and addresses it for you guys next year.

Reactions: therealkoho

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
The Leafs don’t actually have that many NHL experienced defensemen at present. Cap Friendly lists only nine on their somewhat arbitrary “roster.” That includes Travis Dermott who won’t be healthy for the start of the season, leaving eight on the list.

Toronto Maple Leafs - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

The team will start the season with at least seven blueliners and quite possibly eight. Maybe someone like Andreas Borgman from the “non roster” list will make the team. Perhaps Liljegren will force the Leafs to revise what seems to be their present plan to have him mature in the AHL. But clearly most of the eight blueliners on that first list of eight will make the team. FWIW Harpur played more NHL games last season than Holl, Marincin, or Gravel. He is also younger than those players. I think the odds are pretty good he will start the season with the Leafs, though quite possibly in the press box.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Marincin teaching anybody anything should be enough for you to break out in cold sweats lol...that's a nightmare

He's an amazing AHL defender, and knows how to play the game. I have no problem teaching the more skilled guys how to play the game the right way. I have him playing with Hollowell, and that would be a pretty strong 3rd pairing.

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
He's an amazing AHL defender, and knows how to play the game. I have no problem teaching the more skilled guys how to play the game the right way. I have him playing with Hollowell, and that would be a pretty strong 3rd pairing.

Interesting...Marincin has been the bane of my love for the Leafs since I saw him...I think you don't find much more useless than MArtin "gud pro" Marincin...to be fair I have never watched him in the AHL so I could be completely wrong on this one...but with my experience with MArincin the idea that he can teach our skill guys anything makes me laugh

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Figure he'll be in a fight with Holl for the bottom spot. Big body who can PK if nothing else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad