Player Discussion Ben Chiarot: Ram Tough (Part 2)

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Chiarot is the player that proved that most of the player takes here are BS. The board consensus we he is a plug. I won’t forget the cringy takes.

Great player, who is only getting better.
He was not this good before.

The dude is hitting his prime right now, the team that will get him will definitely not regret it.

Merci Saku

Sep 9, 2006
Longueuil, Québec
Great to see him getting praise on HNIC intermission,

just to goes to show that a lot of poster here are either just stat watching or don’t have a clue about the qualities that Chiarot brings

I wouldn’t trade him but you gotta sell high on him and Habs have Guhle coming up in a few years with a lesser cap hit

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Great to see him getting praise on HNIC intermission,

just to goes to show that a lot of poster here are either just stat watching or don’t have a clue about the qualities that Chiarot brings

I wouldn’t trade him but you gotta sell high on him and Habs have Guhle coming up in a few years with a lesser cap hit
You absolutely have to trade him because it would be bad business if you didn't. I mentioned a couple months ago, try to reach an agreement with Ben where you trade him, let him go on another cup run but bring him back in the summer on a friendly deal if possible.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
You absolutely have to trade him because it would be bad business if you didn't. I mentioned a couple months ago, try to reach an agreement with Ben where you trade him, let him go on another cup run but bring him back in the summer on a friendly deal if possible.

Even if you traded Ben strictly as a rental -- to a team that couldn't possibly find the Cap room to re-sign him (like the rangers) -- there will be plenty of better destinations than Montreal for Chiarot and his last chance at a medium term contract, especially if he wants a few more cracks at the Cup in the next few years.

Chiarot could sign with COL, for example, or CAL, just off hand..

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
He was not this good before.

The dude is hitting his prime right now, the team that will get him will definitely not regret it.
He’s been really good for a while. WPG was playing him on the top pairing with Buff for a reason. People thought Buff was carrying him, but clearly Chariot was a legit top 4 then, and is now. Whether playing with Buff, Weber, or whoever he gets stuck with this year. He was a great signing.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
Chiarot and Edmundson were great signings. Not crazy about Savard, but it could turn around with MSL as most players did.

In the end, the 3.5m/3 years contracts were very team friendly with very little risk. MB made some mistakes, but also good moves. Lack of development is what ruined his tenure. Not putting the right ppl in charge is his biggest offense.

Reactions: dralaf

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He was a monster in the playoffs and playing him with a declining Weber over an entire season was always a dumb decision.

People thought Weber was carrying Chiarot but it was the opposite. Chiarot was the puck mover on that pairing. People don't get it cause they look at points. Chiarot is one of the most mobile big man on the back in as you will find in today's NHL and he plays physical.

He's a very solid 2nd pairing quality at this stage of his career. Anybody underselling his value for a playoff team is nonsense. Will he get a 1st? Not sure cause not many trade 1st rounders. We would feel the same if we were a playoff team looking to add him. But I do think two 2nd's and a B/B+ type prospect is what we end up getting. Something similar to that.

One more comment on the Weber factor. Although Weber was in decline with his mileage, I do think his maturity and IQ helped Chiarot mature in areas of the game Weber was good at. The way he approaches the game and how is is able to ride that physical line.

Reactions: BLONG7

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
Chiarot and Edmundson were great signings. Not crazy about Savard, but it could turn around with MSL as most players did.

In the end, the 3.5m/3 years contracts were very team friendly with very little risk. MB made some mistakes, but also good moves. Lack of development is what ruined his tenure. Not putting the right ppl in charge is his biggest offense.

I really, really like Edmundson's game. The thing is Chiarot, Edmundson and Savard are all one in the same. They're solid d man that can log minutes and play above their level for periods of time. But, they're not consistently 82 game 20 minute a night control the pace of play dman. We don't have any of those guys right now.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Even if you traded Ben strictly as a rental -- to a team that couldn't possibly find the Cap room to re-sign him (like the rangers) -- there will be plenty of better destinations than Montreal for Chiarot and his last chance at a medium term contract, especially if he wants a few more cracks at the Cup in the next few years.

Chiarot could sign with COL, for example, or CAL, just off hand..
Sure but if his family likes it here and he does as well it's definitely an option.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad