Confirmed with Link: Ben Bishop gets 2 year extension ($5.95M AAV, NMC)

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The best recent comparable is probably Thomas/Rask. Rask is arguably the best goalie in the NHL right now, but it took Thomas flipping out and deciding to take a year off (I've always thought he went to live in a bunker to wait for the apocalypse) in order for Rask to get the starting job. He was something like 25?

You just don't take a starting job away from an established guy like that, regardless of how good the backup is.

I guess what I'm saying is the ball is in Bishop's court, not Vasi's.

In order for Bishop to lose the starting job, he's going to have to get significantly worse than he played last season. Or something unforeseen will have to happen (having issues handling playoff pressure, etc). It's not really realistic to think Vasi's going to come in and be better than a guy like Tuukka Rask. And Rask had to wait his turn. Bishop, on the other hand, showed that he just might be as good Rask, and there's no way to take a starting job from someone playing anywhere near that level unless something non-play related happens.

Pontius Palat

Lurker
Dec 7, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta
The best recent comparable is probably Thomas/Rask. Rask is arguably the best goalie in the NHL right now, but it took Thomas flipping out and deciding to take a year off (I've always thought he went to live in a bunker to wait for the apocalypse) in order for Rask to get the starting job. He was something like 25?

You just don't take a starting job away from an established guy like that, regardless of how good the backup is.

I guess what I'm saying is the ball is in Bishop's court, not Vasi's.

In order for Bishop to lose the starting job, he's going to have to get significantly worse than he played last season. Or something unforeseen will have to happen (having issues handling playoff pressure, etc). It's not really realistic to think Vasi's going to come in and be better than a guy like Tuukka Rask. And Rask had to wait his turn. Bishop, on the other hand, showed that he just might be as good Rask, and there's no way to take a starting job from someone playing anywhere near that level unless something non-play related happens.

I'd liken it more to a Price/Halak situation myself. Highly touted goalie prospect backing up a guy with a small body of elite work. Halak trade looks good for the Habs now.

Luckily for us, this decision won't have to be made until the 2017 trade deadline. I'd lean towards Vasilevskiy showing more promise than Bishop, but that will probably change several times over the next few years.

garmonbozia

Jan 10, 2006
I don't believe we'll be able to keep Vasilevskiy down in the AHL more than a year. He's coming over because he wants to and thinks he can play in the NHL. Yzerman might be able to convince him that a year down there adjusting to NA ice/game is a necessary step. Injury might even allow him to see the NHL as soon as this year. But if he isn't on the Lightning roster in 2015-16 I think he starts seriously considering returning to the KHL.

I like the Bishop extension. I feel good about the depth below him. Refreshing not having many concerns about goalies in an offseason.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
I don't believe we'll be able to keep Vasilevskiy down in the AHL more than a year. He's coming over because he wants to and thinks he can play in the NHL. Yzerman might be able to convince him that a year down there adjusting to NA ice/game is a necessary step. Injury might even allow him to see the NHL as soon as this year. But if he isn't on the Lightning roster in 2015-16 I think he starts seriously considering returning to the KHL.

I like the Bishop extension. I feel good about the depth below him. Refreshing not having many concerns about goalies in an offseason.

I 100 millionth percent disagree.

He has been talked to he has said all the right things.

He knows he wasnt going to be just given a job he actually knows he has competition in being the starter right now in ahl much less being in nhl so will drop this cause otherwise probably become a long debate which will truly disagree with.

I think is less than 5% chance whether he is starting tomorrow or even in 5 years he goes back to khl.

Is like saying kucherov will go back if we bury him this year. Just nonsense to me.

The truly great ones? They dont mind paying their dues. If he wants to be great or believes he is great he will pay the dues see aaron rodgers or others.

Not many guys walk into situations like bobrovsky but he actually faltered at one point etc.. Almost everyone you can name took that step back before moving fully forward. Is easy to show this kid that history. Rask yep happened etc..

So yeah he will do what it takes he will be up sooner rather than later and will be ready probably and might just wind up keeping the job once he is given it.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl

He has been talked to he has said all the right things.

He knows he wasnt going to be just given a job he actually knows he has competition in being the starter right now in ahl much less being in nhl so will drop this cause otherwise probably become a long debate which will truly disagree with.

I think is less than 5% chance whether he is starting tomorrow or even in 5 years he goes back to khl.

Is like saying kucherov will go back if we bury him this year. Just nonsense to me.

The truly great ones? They dont mind paying their dues. If he wants to be great or believes he is great he will pay the dues see aaron rodgers or others.

Not many guys walk into situations like bobrovsky but he actually faltered at one point etc.. Almost everyone you can name took that step back before moving fully forward. Is easy to show this kid that history. Rask yep happened etc..

So yeah he will do what it takes he will be up sooner rather than later and will be ready probably and might just wind up keeping the job once he is given it.
Really agree here why rush vasilevskiy ? No reason to! Vasi starts in the ahl the next two years I say by year 3 they bring him in to back up Ben bishop. All I know now is bishop is the starter in tampa for the next 3 years. Never ever rush a young goalie to the nhl.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Really agree here why rush vasilevskiy ? No reason to! Vasi starts in the ahl the next two years I say by year 3 they bring him in to back up Ben bishop. All I know now is bishop is the starter in tampa for the next 3 years. Never ever rush a young goalie to the nhl.

I am unsure of two years depends nabokov durability and wilcox situation.

Those two things will have a determining factor for 2015-2016 season and vasi or gudslevskis.

Gudslevskis could outplay Vasi I hope everyone realizes that maybe vasi gets a minor irritating injury that plagues him all year? Causes him down stat. Maybe syracuse is ultimately dreadful and no matter how he plays he has no consistency this year etc..

Is a long season why think we are all way the hell ahead of selves.

As stated I have never seen a goalie this big this good this fast at this young of a game.

He has things to work on though people he is not perfect no one is. How do you get that through adversity and repetition :)

That is what he will get. I personally think is minn wins ncaa championship and wilcox has another stellar year he will come to ahl to back up guds and vasi will take nabby's job next year.

I believe that and have for a bit minn has a legit shot of this and that might make wilcox come in cause the other guy that came into camp will be in mix too and can put to echl for a year etc..

Think the issue gets forced and we have to let nabby go or make him a russian goalie assistant coach deal if he will retire etc.. We are going to do whatever necessary to keep the wealth of talented young goalies we have for as long as possible.

So yes I think vasi is next years back up myself but think is issues involved outside of his play that will make that happen.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL

Because chances are he is already too good for the AHL. He just finished dominating the KHL and you expect him to stagnate in the AHL for 2 years?

garmonbozia

Jan 10, 2006

Thats not very much of a disagreement. .00000001% ??? Just a teensy tiny little bit by my math.

:naughty:

I don't think we'll rush Vasi.

I don't think we'll give him anything he doesn't earn.

I don't think he'll be ready to be a consistent starting NHL goalie in the next three years, regardless of how good, bad, or present Bishop may be over that time.

I don't think Vasilevskiy will content himself on AHL money, minutes, and glory (heh) when he's already tasted success at a high level in his homeland.

I don't think his agent will advise him to leave multiple millions of dollars sitting on the table, future NHL millions won't make up the difference.

So, if the timeline is really 2, 3, or more years before he's in the NHL full time, why would he want to remain in the AHL over returning to the KHL for the interim? Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if both he and Gudslevskis are playing in the K sooner than either earning a regular roster spot in the NHL...even if it is just backing up Bishop.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Thats not very much of a disagreement. .00000001% ??? Just a teensy tiny little bit by my math.

:naughty:

I don't think we'll rush Vasi.

I don't think we'll give him anything he doesn't earn.

I don't think he'll be ready to be a consistent starting NHL goalie in the next three years, regardless of how good, bad, or present Bishop may be over that time.

I don't think Vasilevskiy will content himself on AHL money, minutes, and glory (heh) when he's already tasted success at a high level in his homeland.

I don't think his agent will advise him to leave multiple millions of dollars sitting on the table, future NHL millions won't make up the difference.

So, if the timeline is really 2, 3, or more years before he's in the NHL full time, why would he want to remain in the AHL over returning to the KHL for the interim? Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if both he and Gudslevskis are playing in the K sooner than either earning a regular roster spot in the NHL...even if it is just backing up Bishop.

quickest route most work is through the ahl. That is why is not the khl? You play less games and no matter what you regard KHL is below AHL and is going to stay that way.

If you ask Janus if he thinks he made a mistake what do you think his answer would be?

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com

ben is on right now!!

was very short nothing really interesting less than 10 minute talk some on cardinals and us upcoming season happy etc.. excited about it

also took the question on trades and marty and how that affects a team etc.. but nothing major added just that it def affects a team for a period of time when something like that happens etc..

Last edited:

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Because chances are he is already too good for the AHL. He just finished dominating the KHL and you expect him to stagnate in the AHL for 2 years?

Different leagues khl and ahl we will see how he does in North America now.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Different leagues khl and ahl we will see how he does in North America now.

I think khl is a very good league overall but less than 30 games a year is less than 30 games a year. Even if split time with playoffs you get a lot more reps in ahl.
Again I think vasi is bishop back up next season due to wanting to keep wilcox and vasi all of them etc..

Yet wouldnt hurt the kid to do a couple of 45-50 game stints in ahl imho

2MinutesforGiraffing

angelsil on safari
Apr 2, 2013
Tampa
Gudslevskis could outplay Vasi I hope everyone realizes that maybe vasi gets a minor irritating injury that plagues him all year?

I keep saying that. Guds has already had a (admittedly hectic and inconsistent) year in NA and has shown he can deal with living and playing over here.

Vasilevskiy has not. Until I see Vasya adjust to both playing and living here, I am taking a 'wait and see' approach. It's a huge adjustment and there are a ton of variables in play including the reality that there is a ton of pressure on him from people hyping him all day and night.

Until either one of them really breaks out, Bishop is our starter and has earned it for the time being. I don't get people who've already annointed Russian Jesus our starter before he plays a single game in the AHL.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
There were several reports that Vasilevskijy (sp) is really looking forward to playing in NA. He was even wearing Lightning caps etc. in Russia.

I think he is one of the few Russian hockey players whose dream it is to play in the NHL and who would play and work his way up in the AHL instead of chasing the ruble in the KHL.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
K would give more money to Vasi now than what he would earn here even after 5 years, so theres that to consider.

They already offered and he came here knowing was a process what he had in front of him. His words were competition makes you better when asked on facing against gudslevskis and in time bishop etc..

The kid gets it also his family is not poor.

TAMPA BAY TIMES:
Vasilevskiy also has a head start on living in North America. For the past three years, he has spent two weeks at a summer goalie camp in Ottawa, living with a host family or his agent Rolly Hedges. This year, he came with his brother Alexei, 21, a defenseman who played on the same KHL team. Hedges said a main reason was to help Vasilevskiy learn English, and he did well during a short interview this week.

Hedges said Vasilevskiy left "well over $2 million" on the table in the KHL to sign a three-year, entry-level deal ($925,000 per season) with Tampa Bay because he's determined to play in the NHL. For now, he will share starts with Kristers Gudlevskis at Syracuse.

"He's confident. He's talented. He wants to be in the NHL," Kur*vers said. "He has a clear picture of what he wants to do. But you can't rush guys into the NHL because the NHL eats somebody up if they're not ready for it. You've got to be sure on that."

stevie has also said wont rush him I think things will happen and he is back up as said last year but the kid gets it and will pay dues that he has to.

Last edited by a moderator:

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
K would give more money to Vasi now than what he would earn here even after 5 years, so theres that to consider.

He was already offered a massive extension by his original club before his contract expired this year and he turned it down to come to Tampa even though he knows he will have to go to Syracuse. The only way we would have to worry about him bolting for Russia is if he simply doesn't live up to his potential or if Bishop stays hot for extended number of years and Vasi feels he deserves a starting role.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think Vasi will be great. But I think it's a mistake to assume last year was a fluke from Bishop before giving him a chance to repeat it. When healthy last year, he was the best goalie in the NHL. If remains top 5, you don't turn away from that, regardless of who's waiting in the wings. If he slips, that opens the door for Vasi. But that's really the only way.

jg39

SFY is great
Aug 16, 2007
NC
Like the deal, and I especially like that we have Bishop atop our emerging goalie group. It's been a pleasant transition from 0 exciting goalies in the system to 4. If his performance next season can be similar to last season, it will really support this team.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
He was exceptional in 2008 though and very good his whole career but had some speed bumps which seems everyone but a select maybe 5-6 guys had in their careers.

Vasi is best goalie I have ever seen at his age. I just see stevie if he can holding him back to get him 50 or so games per year for year or two in ahl than will get him into 20-25 nhl etc.. he will temper him etc.. (wilcox situation will affect this more than vasi's play imho) if wilcox will go back as a senior and we can sign him etc.. keep his rights we will do that and vasi will get two years ahl.

Am I ok if vasi was our guy today? YES

That is how high I am on the kid I wonder though as said each player especially goalies go through things. What his path will be how hard etc.. Injuries etc.. goalies get injured how many years does he have with how fast he is etc.. less he does now the more good years you have as prime vasi imho.

It will come down to dollars sooner or later and when that happens expect ben to be moved but as said think is gonna be when he is like 32 so vasi will be in prime years 25 before it happens. Ozzy was great young than had set backs 99% of goalies have those set backs.

Stevie will try to keep our depth with goalies as long as possible. Some guys will not be happy am sure. Yet stevie went out of his way to try to make a guy happy so am sure he will work it out more than he wont in the future:)
Ya Wilcox is interesting we have till August 2015 before we lose his rights! I don't know I have to assume guds gets moved ? Or vasi becomes the back up October 2015! Key is we got to get vasi 50 starts a year. I think it screws him up giving him 25 starts a year in the nhl. Interesting to see how yzerman deals with this issue. Wilcox is going to be too good for the echl. Do we trade Wilcox rights ? Guds ? Call vasi to the nhl ? Seems like Nabokov is a one year stop gap but rushing vasi to the nhl is a bad idea.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
Ya Wilcox is interesting we have till August 2015 before we lose his rights! I don't know I have to assume guds gets moved ? Or vasi becomes the back up October 2015! Key is we got to get vasi 50 starts a year. I think it screws him up giving him 25 starts a year in the nhl. Interesting to see how yzerman deals with this issue. Wilcox is going to be too good for the echl. Do we trade Wilcox rights ? Guds ? Call vasi to the nhl ? Seems like Nabokov is a one year stop gap but rushing vasi to the nhl is a bad idea.

Not necessarily. If he chooses to leave college after this season then come August 15th if he's without a contract he becomes a UFA. If he elects to return to Minnesota for his senior season then we have another year to see how the depth chart shakes out before a decision has to be made.

That being said, there is a place for him in the organization next year. Bishop will be our starter, Guds will most likely be his backup with an outside chance of Vasi being handed that job. Regardless, he will have a space open for him in Syracuse if he wants it.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Not necessarily. If he chooses to leave college after this season then come August 15th if he's without a contract he becomes a UFA. If he elects to return to Minnesota for his senior season then we have another year to see how the depth chart shakes out before a decision has to be made.

That being said, there is a place for him in the organization next year. Bishop will be our starter, Guds will most likely be his backup with an outside chance of Vasi being handed that job. Regardless, he will have a space open for him in Syracuse if he wants it.
Ya that's what I'm thinking bring up guds to back up bishop for 2015 2016 season. Have vasi and Wilcox for the crunch. The goal I want for vasi is to get 100 ahl starts in two years before coming to the nhl. But vasi is really going at a fast pace for a goalie right now. If vasi puts up a 94 save percentage for the crunch. Then let's say gudlevskis puts a 91 save percentage up for the crunch. Then is 2015 2016 is vasi the back up or guds ? I guess Stevie let's this play out to see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad