Confirmed with Link: Ben Bishop gets 2 year extension ($5.95M AAV, NMC)

Stormbreaker

Apr 2, 2012
Here are the numbers.

Pierre LeBrun @Real_ESPNLeBrun
This is probably already out there but in case: Ben Bishop 2 x $5.95 M AAV

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Not bad, but wish it was a bit less. Still, this locks him up so Yzerman knows what he's playing with when Stamkos needs to be re-signed.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
Not bad, but wish it was a bit less. Still, this locks him up so Yzerman knows what he's playing with when Stamkos needs to be re-signed.

That’s what I’m thinking too and it’s very smart and gives Yzerman some breathing room next summer.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Yzerman is the best gm in hockey bishop signed for 3 years vasi is signed for 3 years now! Let the best goalie win in three years!

Necropolis

Jan 18, 2013
Not bad at all since the term is only two years. If Bishop keeps playing like he played this season, he'll definitely be worth $5.95M/year.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Brewer coming off the books on top of Bishops current contract more than pay for his new hit. Doesn't even include the rising cap. Now we just hope Bishop doesn't regress so much that we can't ride him through 2017.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
was definitely not expecting that yet. great news. My guess is high something like $4.5-5.5m.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
It's 5.95 AAV. I think it's 5.95 each year too.

Just saw that. Still a good deal I think. Because if he has anything close to a repeat year, he would have been asking for more than that.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Just saw that. Still a good deal I think. Because if he has anything close to a repeat year, he would have been asking for more than that.

Very good deal assuming he doesn't regress a lot. Perfect term IMO as I think Vasilevskiy will be really pressing to start in 3 or 4 years.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
another one of those deals that has me shaking my head. I bow down to stevie f yzerman.

I never expected this was sure was gonna be a 6 x 6 at least sometime this year. To get two at maybe 1 million too high and not pay a guy long term like seems all these teams are doing with goalies?

WOW

you go stevie lol. 2 years!! we are set up for a true three year run for cups right now love it.

Stormbreaker

Apr 2, 2012
Joe Smith @TBTimes_JSmith
#TBLightning Bishop said he got the screws out of his surgically-repaired wrist on Tues, start skating this week. Hopes to be ready for camp

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
#TBLightning @Benbishop30 says "it's really exciting" to get two-year extension, important to get it done before training camp started

Bishop said everyone wants a long-term deal, but this is fair. "Think I've still got to prove myself. Don't want to be a one-hit wonder."

Bishop: "I want to be even better this year." Said didn't want to ask for too much, thought it was a "fair deal on both sides."

#TBLightning Bishop said it was a "very smooth" negotiation, didn't want to have contract hanging over his head during season, focus on game

Additionally

#TBLightning Bishop said he got the screws out of his surgically-repaired wrist on Tues, start skating this week. Hopes to be ready for camp

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Very good deal assuming he doesn't regress a lot. Perfect term IMO as I think Vasilevskiy will be really pressing to start in 3 or 4 years.

I feel like it's a deal full of safety nets. If Bishop regresses? Bishop still gets to get paid but the team is only on the hook for two years. If Bishop repeats last year, he winds up underpaid but still a high paid goalie. I think both sides were just hedging their bets a little.

I really like that we're doing fair, "friendly" type deals though, like with Palat and Johnson. It's gotta boost morale for guys to know the team isn't trying to cut their throats in the board room.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad