B-Sens Belleville 2018-2019 Season Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Utica lost Dahlen without anyone coming back, which is nice.

Speaking of that, since I don't read the board that much, what are people saying about that?

Vancouver Canucks acquireDateSan Jose Sharks acquire
Vancouver_Canucks.gif
Linus Karlsson
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
February 25, 2019
Jonathan Dahlen
San_Jose_Sharks.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
If Dahlen was such a good prospect, the Nucks wouldn't have gave up on him that fast, without even dressing for them in a NHL game. They traded him for a guy that was just drafted late in the 3rd round and has maybe 3rd line Center potential.

It seems that we over-reacted a lot lol, myself included so I am eating crow for that. Because of my swedish bias I guess.

So overall maybe getting Burrows wasn't that expensive, it was more the extension the problem.

Reactions: aragorn

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Speaking of that, since I don't read the board that much, what are people saying about that?

Vancouver_Canucks.gif
Linus Karlsson
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
February 25, 2019
Jonathan Dahlen
San_Jose_Sharks.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
If Dahlen was such a good prospect, the Nucks wouldn't have gave up on him that fast, without even dressing for them in a NHL game. They traded him for a guy that was just drafted late in the 3rd round and has maybe 3rd line Center potential.

It seems that we over-reacted a lot lol, myself included so I am eating crow for that. Because of my swedish bias I guess.

So overall maybe getting Burrows wasn't that expensive, it was more the extension the problem.
Apparently he asked for a trade.
And yeah, he might have not panned out as some (including me) thought he would but 3rd round pick is much better than extended Burrows (whom we are still paying to coach Laval Rockets)

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Apparently he asked for a trade.
And yeah, he might have not panned out as some (including me) thought he would but 3rd round pick is much better than extended Burrows (whom we are still paying to coach Laval Rockets)

Hmm I don't know... Stalberg went for a 3rd (I gtg so no time to look for other examples right now). I mean Burrows was a very proven veteran with sandpaper who was still producing at a good 3rd line pace. If he was not extended and was just acquired as a rental for a 3rd, I don't think there would have been that much "rioting"

Reactions: starling

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Hmm I don't know... Stalberg went for a 3rd (I gtg so no time to look for other examples right now). I mean Burrows was a very proven veteran with sandpaper who was still producing at a good 3rd line pace. If he was not extended and was just acquired as a rental for a 3rd, I don't think there would have been that much "rioting"
If Dahlen busts I won't question Dorion's prospect scouting skills ever again.
On the other hand, his professional scouting record is probably the worst in today's NHL. Crazy how it works.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Batherson called up.

NHL teams get 4 call ups from now until the end of the season right? Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Have to think he stays for a couple weeks in case someone else gets sick/injured.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Batherson called up.

NHL teams get 4 call ups from now until the end of the season right? Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Have to think he stays for a couple weeks in case someone else gets sick/injured.

With Balcers being sick and there being only 12 forwards on the roster, it is an emergency call up and wont count against the 4 call ups.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Yeah, it's the Burrows extension that is particularly bad. The amount he cost us per year to provide negative value is what the team tried to save by packaging a 2nd rounder in the Ziba trade. So you could say we traded Dahlen and 2 2nd round picks to get an extended Burrows.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Is that why Balcers sat the previous game? Genuinely curious.

As far as I know he was a healthy scratch, him being sick seems to be a recent development. Believe Boucher wanted to go 11-7 last game because it was Boro's first game back after injury and it sounded like he wasn't 100%.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
They said on radio (Lloyd) we have 2 left ,as Wolanin and Balcers papered to be eligible for AHL playoffs

Last edited:

Dino Tkachuk

Ottawa Senators
Jan 6, 2009
If Dahlen busts I won't question Dorion's prospect scouting skills ever again.
On the other hand, his professional scouting record is probably the worst in today's NHL. Crazy how it works.
I have two big issues with Dorion.
1. He finds a player that he likes and he will do whatever it takes to acquire said player, even if it means he overpays. He needs a lot more patience and he needs to be a better evaluator of perceived value.
2. He has shown himself to be a terrible public speaker and appears to be "tone deaf", when it comes to managing the message. This either needs to improve or the team needs an AGM that can do the public speaking.

In terms of prospects, I really do believe that Dorion is exceptional in this area and he can just make the assessments so much faster than the general population. I have read that a good scout can watch a young player and be able to tell within only a couple minutes if the kid has enough potential ability to make the NHL.

What this means is the value of a prospect quickly drops in Dorion' s eyes but the perceived value is still high and he needs to take advantage of that. He currently wastes that perceived value because he has his eye on a prize.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
I have two big issues with Dorion.
1. He finds a player that he likes and he will do whatever it takes to acquire said player, even if it means he overpays. He needs a lot more patience and he needs to be a better evaluator of perceived value.
2. He has shown himself to be a terrible public speaker and appears to be "tone deaf", when it comes to managing the message. This either needs to improve or the team needs an AGM that can do the public speaking.

In terms of prospects, I really do believe that Dorion is exceptional in this area and he can just make the assessments so much faster than the general population. I have read that a good scout can watch a young player and be able to tell within only a couple minutes if the kid has enough potential ability to make the NHL.

What this means is the value of a prospect quickly drops in Dorion' s eyes but the perceived value is still high and he needs to take advantage of that. He currently wastes that perceived value because he has his eye on a prize.
Hope you don't mind a Canucks fan chiming in here. It's uncanny how similar to Jim Benning Dorion sounds, based on your comments. We have exactly the same type of GM.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Hope you don't mind a Canucks fan chiming in here. It's uncanny how similar to Jim Benning Dorion sounds, based on your comments. We have exactly the same type of GM.
Dorion is far worse at communication though.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013

Vancouver_Canucks.gif
Linus Karlsson
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
February 25, 2019
Jonathan Dahlen
San_Jose_Sharks.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

"“His agent asked me a couple weeks ago if we could move him,” Jim Benning said in his post-trade deadline press conference on Monday."

Benning added, “I find young players now, sometimes they don’t want to pay their dues in development time, they just want to be given an NHL opportunity right off the start.
“We just felt there was some development left in his game before he’s ready to be given an NHL opportunity. I guess that’s kind of where the discrepancy on what they thought and on what we thought where he was happened.”
In response, Dahlen’s agent J.P. Berry admitted to Sportsnet 650’s Rick Dhaliwal, “There was frustration on both sides. We had numerous discussions on how to improve the situation. More recently a possible move was discussed as an option.”
Last night, after his first game with the Barracuda, Dahlen spoke with Fear the Fin about what happened in Vancouver and how he’s looking ahead.

Reactions: Xspyrit

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I hope people understand that English is Dorion's second language & that his English is not perfect but it's not terrible either. I on the other hand speak three languages badly.

On Dahlen, it seems he has turned out to be the player I thought he was all along, of course, there is still a chance he makes the NHL, but he could just as easily end up back in Sweden. He's seems to be a tweener.

Reactions: WaitingInVain

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
I hope people understand that English is Dorion's second language & that his English is not perfect but it's not terrible either. I on the other hand speak three languages badly.

He's from Ottawa and has been working in English for decades. I know plenty of people for whom English is a second language and they speak it fluently.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Looking forward to seeing how Brannstrom does in Belleville tonight.

Anybody know if who he's paired with?

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
He's from Ottawa and has been working in English for decades. I know plenty of people for whom English is a second language and they speak it fluently.
I know plenty of people for whom English is a second language & have lived in this area all their lives & they still aren't all that fluent. There are a lot of people across the river who can't speak English & even more people in Ottawa who can't speak French.

PD has been speaking it for quite a while if not all his life & whenever I have seen him at the Sensplex his English is fine & quite understandable. However, given he is in front of numerous microphones, lights & media it can be daunting & finding the right words at times under those circumstances I can certainly understand when he does have an occasional problem. IMO his English is fine, it's his GM skills that are not.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I know plenty of people for whom English is a second language & have lived in this area all their lives & they still aren't all that fluent. There are a lot of people across the river who can't speak English & even more people in Ottawa who can't speak French.

PD has been speaking it for quite a while if not all his life & whenever I have seen him at the Sensplex his English is fine & quite understandable. However, given he is in front of numerous microphones, lights & media it can be daunting & finding the right words at times under those circumstances I can certainly understand when he does have an occasional problem. IMO his English is fine, it's his GM skills that are not.
He’s just as bad in French. It is not a second language issue. It is a public speaking [MOD] issue.

Last edited by a moderator:

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Yeah I agree that Dorion is a bad speaker. He gets defensive too easy when asked even modestly hard questions. He's also occasionally guilty of going off message and making definitive statements he can't back up. He needs media training.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad