B-Sens Belleville 2018-2019 Season Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Old thread hit 1000 posts

Pretty simple. Wolanin is a puck carrier. He'll take it from his goal line to the other frequently. He plays the top of the PP as a trigger man. He's your modern offensive defenseman. Lajoie is a good passer and skater but you're rarely going to see him go end to end or score from the blue line on a clean shot.

I hope people are not thinking that Lajoie is an offensive D-man because he had a good start offensively. He actually reminds me a lot of a younger Ceci. Let's see if the team ruins him the same way by giving him roles way too big for him. It's going well these days!

That makes sense. My confusion is that I included defensemen that were good at making outlet passes to break out of the defensive zone and were capable of making smart offensive plays in the offensive zone and on the power play as puck moving defensemen. I was not aware that it was restricted to d men who carry the puck out of the d zone and make end to end plays. By that definition it seems like Chabot and Wolanin are the only d men who fit the criteria.

What is your take on Wolanin's defensive play? Do you evaluate a puck moving d man's defensive play differently than other types of d men? Should they be judged differently given their capacity to carry the puck out of the zone and how that style of play might effect their aggressiveness and positioning?

Well even outside of his actual point production he was making some good plays and his overall play style was much more like an offensive d man early on. But as the season has progressed it is becoming more clear that Lajoie is more of a well rounded d men with some flashes of offensive talent than a pure offensive d man.

Given that he is a bit small (at least in terms of weight) and doesn't have much of a physical element in his game I am curious to see what his upside is. What do you think he peaks out as? Do you think the physical side will come with added weight and experience or do you not expect him to develop that element of his game?

I think as he puts on some man muscle (he’s only 20 years old) he can become a good two way dman who can put up 40 points and play all situation (pp, pk). Someone in the mold of Ekholm (maybe not the last year or so since he really became a star), Spurgeon, Braun or Goligoski (good two way dmen who are in between offensive and defensive dman based on their role).

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
And to think, I was doubtful Hogberg would ever play an NHL game after last year. Shows I know nothing about goalies, and how a decent to good team can make or break a goalie.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
And to think, I was doubtful Hogberg would ever play an NHL game after last year. Shows I know nothing about goalies, and how a decent to good team can make or break a goalie.
Your second point doesn’t apply. Hogberg is playing behind an ATROCIOUS team. And he’s having a mini breakout

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Your second point doesn’t apply. Hogberg is playing behind an ATROCIOUS team. And he’s having a mini breakout

I wouldn’t say they are atrocious. They’ve lost literally half their defense to Ottawa, Brown was injured most of the year so far, and Batherson is in the NHL for the time being.

The roster at the start of the year was pretty good...it’s depleted right now but they still aren’t too bad. Once Elliot, Burger, and possibly Batherson are back down they look much better.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I wouldn’t say they are atrocious. They’ve lost literally half their defense to Ottawa, Brown was injured most of the year so far, and Batherson is in the NHL for the time being.

The roster at the start of the year was pretty good...it’s depleted right now but they still aren’t too bad. Once Elliot, Burger, and possibly Batherson are back down they look much better.
And let's not forget all the injuries Belleville has had so far this yr which has caught up to them & the injuries Ottawa has had that has taken Belleville's better players away for long stretches. And add to that some of the young guys have won jobs in Ottawa & are likely not returning to Belleville.

Reactions: derriko

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Well they’re atrocious right now during his good spell lol.

ZekeA

The Pride is Back...
Jan 13, 2009
Where the Cup is
Belleville 1 at Binghamton 3 - Status: Unofficial Final
Saturday, December 15, 2018 - Floyd L. Maines Veterans Memorial Arena
Belleville 0 1 0 - 1
Binghamton 1 1 1 - 3

1st Period-1, Binghamton, Ramage 4 (Ward, Gignac), 5:39. Penalties-Racine Bel (roughing), 12:57; Ward Bng (roughing), 12:57; Balisy Bel (holding), 18:25.
2nd Period-2, Binghamton, Bastian 8 (McLeod, Tangradi), 6:18. 3, Belleville, Tambellini 9 (Wolanin, Carey), 8:02. Penalties-Percy Bel (tripping), 8:44; Bastian Bng (cross-checking), 10:09; Pietila Bng (slashing), 18:25; Lindberg Bel (hooking), 19:52.
3rd Period-4, Binghamton, McLeod 5 (Ramage, Kapla), 17:20 (EN). Penalties-Pietila Bng (hooking), 2:42; Jacobs Bng (delay of game), 6:35; Gignac Bng (tripping), 7:28.
Shots on Goal-Belleville 6-5-7-18. Binghamton 10-7-2-19.
Power Play Opportunities-Belleville 0 / 5; Binghamton 0 / 3.
Goalies-Belleville, Hogberg 2-2-1 (18 shots-16 saves). Binghamton, Johnson 3-4-0 (18 shots-17 saves).

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Belleville 1 at Binghamton 3 - Status: Unofficial Final
Saturday, December 15, 2018 - Floyd L. Maines Veterans Memorial Arena
Belleville 0 1 0 - 1
Binghamton 1 1 1 - 3

1st Period-1, Binghamton, Ramage 4 (Ward, Gignac), 5:39. Penalties-Racine Bel (roughing), 12:57; Ward Bng (roughing), 12:57; Balisy Bel (holding), 18:25.
2nd Period-2, Binghamton, Bastian 8 (McLeod, Tangradi), 6:18. 3, Belleville, Tambellini 9 (Wolanin, Carey), 8:02. Penalties-Percy Bel (tripping), 8:44; Bastian Bng (cross-checking), 10:09; Pietila Bng (slashing), 18:25; Lindberg Bel (hooking), 19:52.
3rd Period-4, Binghamton, McLeod 5 (Ramage, Kapla), 17:20 (EN). Penalties-Pietila Bng (hooking), 2:42; Jacobs Bng (delay of game), 6:35; Gignac Bng (tripping), 7:28.
Shots on Goal-Belleville 6-5-7-18. Binghamton 10-7-2-19.
Power Play Opportunities-Belleville 0 / 5; Binghamton 0 / 3.
Goalies-Belleville, Hogberg 2-2-1 (18 shots-16 saves). Binghamton, Johnson 3-4-0 (18 shots-17 saves).
nice to see you around here again Zeke!

ZekeA

The Pride is Back...
Jan 13, 2009
Where the Cup is
nice to see you around here again Zeke!

"ReginKarlssonLehner"

Nice to be back been dealing with some health issues of late.......

Am mad at the Sens for trading away Mike Hoffman who was my favorite Binghamton Sen, loved how he developed down here...... Trading Eric the Great drove me crazy just hurts as he is all world.........

Be well and I miss this blog...... Devil blog is poor few posters......

Be well ReginKarlssonLehner.......

Will try to post more here and hi to all my friends here.......

Brannstorm

Feb 15, 2016
Ottawa
I have in the past doubted brown's intensity or maybe willingness to engage physically for a man of his size.

But in today's NHL he won't even get slashed going up the middle of the ice. It is a gentleman's league now so Brown doesn't have much to worry about. He won't have to fight, take many unnecessary violent hits. As long as he keeps on being 6-6 and skating and passing like that he will have no problem dominating (at least offensively) in the NHL. Just my opinion.

Reactions: Clayonator

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Did they reassign McCormick? Or it was Smith-like situation and they were just hoping someone would pick up his contract off waivers?

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Did they reassign McCormick? Or it was Smith-like situation and they were just hoping someone would pick up his contract off waivers?

I am guessing they are very happy to have him in the AHL. He's one of the top 6 healthy forwards down there and we were really struggling to score, and the cost is really not high. McCormick isn't more than a cup-o-tea NHLer but he has been a consistent .50p/g guy in the AHL and he is quick enough that he can actually be a physical/forechecking presence down there (unlike in the NHL). We don't really have 12 guys who belong in an every day AHL line-up, currently.

I would not be surprised if he's dealt for a different AHLer at/before the deadline, though - similar to the Buddy Robinson trade a few years back. Let another organization take a look at him and we get to take a look at a guy we kinda like.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I think shielding the puck from opponents will be the key to Brown's success. He has to make sure his core is really strong, like Boedker and Duchene and then use the slick skill to distribute the puck. I'll admit to being nervous about his rumoured intensity issues, but he can still do it, there's plenty to like in his size and skill set.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->