B-Sens Belleville 2017-2018 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Competent people are expensive though.
i dont think so .. there are so many good hockey minds out there, even currently with NHL organizations in a non-prominent role, that cant get a shot because their dad wasnt involved in the NHL or because they didnt play pro hockey themselves.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I don't see the Belleville Senators being all that much better next season when it's likely they will have a much younger team with more inexperienced prospects. Brown, Batherson, Luchuk should up the skill level at forward & a full yr with Wolanin could help the backend & hopefully, they get better goaltending with Hogberg & Gustavsson.

Not sure a coaching change will make that big a difference given the inexperience but I like the idea of having a coach in Belleville who is trending towards the big leagues & could take over should a change in Ottawa be necessary. Ducharme would be an interesting choice but so would any number of NHL Assistant Coaches. What about Dave Cameron in Belleville?

It is absolutely impossible to tell either way. Up and downs from year to year are impossible to tell in the NHL, it’s even worse in the AHL. And coaching absolutely changes everything too

Goaltending, coaching, injuries, chemistry are some of the most important things that make a good or bad team, even more than the roster in itself

In professional teams everybody has talent, look no further than Vegas this year. Not many would have predicted any kind of success with the roster on paper.

All that being said, how are the Leafs so lucky in terms of injuries every season?

Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
It is absolutely impossible to tell either way. Up and downs from year to year are impossible to tell in the NHL, it’s even worse in the AHL. And coaching absolutely changes everything too

Goaltending, coaching, injuries, chemistry are some of the most important things that make a good or bad team, even more than the roster in itself

In professional teams everybody has talent, look no further than Vegas this year. Not many would have predicted any kind of success with the roster on paper.

All that being said, how are the Leafs so lucky in terms of injuries every season?
And goaltending, we got the wrong Andersen. No way they should have won that game last night, Boston was all over them for the last two periods, Andersen was the difference.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I wonder how many prospects could play in Belleville next season?

I imagine Brown, Batherson, Luchuk & Gustavsson will join Belleville for next season. Still no word on whether Summers gets signed or Nurmi & Ahl come over, although Ahl may have no future in the AHL. Both Formenton & Kelly are too young to play in the AHL so they either make the Ottawa team or it's back to junior which I imagine both will probably end up. Anyone else who wasn't already there? Lier I think got a contract & should start the yr there too.

toxic poster

Dec 24, 2017
Queen's
still htink they're expecting brown to be ready at the NHL level next season. they've left a hole down the middle for one of chlapik/brown/white to fill but I think they like starting white at RW on the top line.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
From Elliott Friedman:

AHL Hershey let go of head coach Troy Mann after a good run there. Watch Ottawa, where brother Trent is chief scout. Kurt Kleinendorst runs AHL Belleville. Those Senators didn’t have a great record, but that’s not always the most important thing at that level. Do your prospects improve? The outside response is yes they did.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
From Elliott Friedman:
Was coming here to post just that. I wouldn't be adverse to giving Mann a shot in Belleville, but I honestly don't know much about him other than being the brother of our scout. If he does come here, prepare to hear complaints about nepotism. .

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Was coming here to post just that. I wouldn't be adverse to giving Mann a shot in Belleville, but I honestly don't know much about him other than being the brother of our scout. If he does come here, prepare to hear complaints about nepotism. .

It's funny because if you read Friedmans 31 thoughts, basically every hire in the league is rife with nepotistic tint (even if not directly "within the family" nepotism). Whether it's a good thing, a bad thing, or neutral, nepotism is very far from a "Sens problem". It's a league-wide practice that probably influences most new hires.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa

To be fair, he had 3 strong seasons with Hershey and made the finals in 2016. I wouldn't complain - better than KK.

Reactions: JungleBeat

toxic poster

Dec 24, 2017
Queen's
im starting think dorion has given Lee free reign down in belleville which is terrifying.

that's what i've heard from some people in the know here in town. I guess Melnyk and co are very pleased with him because of the work he did outside of actual team performance(Yardmen upgrades, etc) so they have basically just given him belleville

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
that's what i've heard from some people in the know here in town. I guess Melnyk and co are very pleased with him because of the work he did outside of actual team performance(Yardmen upgrades, etc) so they have basically just given him belleville
That's terrifying. Lee would have been an easy sacrificial lamb and upgradeable in his position.

toxic poster

Dec 24, 2017
Queen's
That's terrifying. Lee would have been an easy sacrificial lamb and upgradeable in his position.
but he's cheap and has been with the organisation forever so they keep him around. he has never really challenged authority and has been rewarded for his loyalty with belleville basically. absolute garbage. problem is this city is just so happy to have hockey back after we had the bulls ripped away from us that the general public is willing to ignore all the problems that actually circulate the team. i give it two years before people get fed up. right now the general consensus is that the majority of people don't truly understand the point of the AHL as a developmental league + it's a pretty strong leafs fanbase here so it's just a chance to go see live hockey. once people are invested more financially and emotionally they will ask a few more questions and give a f*** about all the dicking around this org does to players w/ actual talent.

blunden and obrien were fan favourites most of the year if you needed to understand what these people have been looking at most this season

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
he's miles better than KK, yet if you read 31 thoughts from today, friedman makes it seem as if people are happy with how KK has done with prospects. shudders

Actually, Friedman makes it seem as though the perception of people outside our organization is that our prospects improved over the year.

And by "makes it seem as though", I really mean "says".

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Yeah, I was surprised at that Friedman comment, but it's hard to argue when the main prospect in Chabot follows an eerily similar development curve to Karlsson. Koach K must have done something right with the most important prospect in the organization.

Even White looked a lot better at the end of the year after spending time in the AHL.

Reactions: Gil Scott Perron

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Ah, so you were upset by the revelation that people outside of the organization noticed marked improvement in our prospects. My mistake, I misunderstood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad