B-Sens Belleville 2017-2018 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Interesting comments by Klienindorst regarding the news that he won't be back

Of note, Troy Mann being released 7 days ago, and Dorion saying that they came to the decision to release Klienindorst a few days ago, anyone think the two incidents are tied to one another?

Extremely obvious Mann will be the guy, worst kept secret in the league.

I know nothing of Troy, but I know Trent understands the game ridiculously well.

Emerica

May 29, 2010

Of note, Troy Mann being released 7 days ago, and Dorion saying that they came to the decision to release Klienindorst a few days ago, anyone think the two incidents are tied to one another?

Was Mann fired or did he simply not get his contract renewed? Or was it a mutual agreement to part ways? Seems like he's got a pretty good track record in the AHL, which is pretty exciting. Maybe the job in Belleville was offered to him before they announced the decision on Kleinendorst, hence why he didn't come back with Hershey.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Was Mann fired or did he simply not get his contract renewed? Or was it a mutual agreement to part ways? Seems like he's got a pretty good track record in the AHL, which is pretty exciting. Maybe the job in Belleville was offered to him before they announced the decision on Kleinendorst, hence why he didn't come back with Hershey.
His contract wasn't renewed.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Here is a roster that I would consider for Belleville next season given the prospects that could end up there & the vets that are signed for next season. I have no idea regarding lineups, but I imagine the older guys would likely be higher in the lineup.

Sieloff could start in Wolanin's position & Burgdorger could start in Sieloff's position & Wolanin could find himself on the practice roster if they decide to start the yr with their vets. However, he seems skilled enough that he should be on the roster eventually sooner than later.

----- LW ----- C ----- RW
Chlapik - JOB - Gagne
Perron - Brown - Rodewald
Paul - Sexton - Batherson
Luchuk - Montrey - Sturtz/Lier

--- LD --- RD ---
Lajoie - Pokka
Wolanin - Jaros
Englund - Sieloff
Donaghey - Burgdoerfer/Erkamps

Dreidger - Hogberg/Gustavsson

Dreiger is not under contract for 2018-19.

He will become a RFA on July 1st, but don't think they're under any obligation to re-sign him.

They may decide to sign and trade, or just trade his "rights" if they feel he no longer fits into their future plans.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Pretty sure KK was not renewed vs being fired .. I guess it almost amounts to the same thing.
IMO KK largely favored the vets for at least half the season. I do not think that's why he was not renewed however. I think the biggest problem is that Lee / dorion did not get the right players in there to compete. I find our management group all over their heads.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Pretty sure KK was not renewed vs being fired .. I guess it almost amounts to the same thing.
IMO KK largely favored the vets for at least half the season. I do not think that's why he was not renewed however. I think the biggest problem is that Lee / dorion did not get the right players in there to compete. I find our management group all over their heads.

Could also be they're looking to bring in someone from outside the organization, get a fresh new perspective in Belleville....... and depending on who they bring in, and possible future HC in Ottawa perhaps?

I suspect there will be an emphasis on playing more of the youth in Belleville next season, as there there may be plans to open up space on the NHL (Senators) roster over the next couple of seasons, and the Re-______ is under way.

Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Dreiger is not under contract for 2018-19.

He will become a RFA on July 1st, but don't think they're under any obligation to re-sign him.

They may decide to sign and trade, or just trade his "rights" if they feel he no longer fits into their future plans.

Agreed. I just don't know what they will do with Dreidger, he's still young for a goalie but he hasn't been all that great although the team as a whole has sucked too. KK mentioned needing a veteran goalie & Dreidger has been in the league for a few yrs now although again he has never been all that good. No idea what the new coach will think of his goalie situation but I imagine he will follow what the GM wants from him down there. If the plan is to play a lot more of the prospects in Belleville than the goalies could see a lot of rubber next season.

The Taylor experiment didn't work but they at least now have two goalies who have #1 potential in Hogberg & Gustavsson. I assume re-signing Dreidger would be the cheapest option & insurance against injury but it could also mean that Gustavsson could find himself between the AHL & the ECHL throughout the yr which will piss off fans on here. Should be interesting.

Reactions: Cosmix

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Driedger is total non-issue because he won't be qualified.

However, that doesn't mean that Randy Lee won't bring in a different veteran goalie.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Driedger is total non-issue because he won't be qualified.

However, that doesn't mean that Randy Lee won't bring in a different veteran goalie.

I don't know about that, a different veteran goalie would probably cost a lot more than Dreidger & the Taylor experiment didn't go very well. Either way though its still the same situation with three goalies & two jobs & someone will probably need to play in the ECHL until someone is injured, likely the rookie.

Ouroboros

Feb 3, 2008
I don't know about that, a different veteran goalie would probably cost a lot more than Dreidger & the Taylor experiment didn't go very well. Either way though its still the same situation with three goalies & two jobs & someone will probably need to play in the ECHL until someone is injured, likely the rookie.

In two separate media appearances Lee was adamant that 'they have to figure their goaltending out for next season' so it seems likely that it will be a priority for him this summer.

I expect them to sign a vet for Belleville and that Högberg will probably be back in the ECHL.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Mann would have an excellent knowledge of the players in the A as well. That could help with the coaching/scouting model we saw in Ottawa as well. ,.Seriously it could help get us some better players.

Reactions: topshelf15

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
In two separate media appearances Lee was adamant that 'they have to figure their goaltending out for next season' so it seems likely that it will be a priority for him this summer.

I expect them to sign a vet for Belleville and that Högberg will probably be back in the ECHL.

That will be interesting & you expect that Hogberg will be sent to the ECHL again over the rookie Gustavsson. Interesting but why? BTW I had this same argument last yr when I predicted that Hogberg would be sent to the ECHL. I also said it about someone else & people were adamant that it would never happen & it did.

I'm not trying to be argumentative but don't you think that if a vet goaltender is brought in that it would make more sense to send the rookie who you think has #1 potential to the ECHL to get him many more games rather than having him sitting on the bench & watching? Wouldn't he be better served to play than sit?

toxic poster

Dec 24, 2017
Queen's
Honestly I would qualify Driedger. His #s are too good for the ECHL, not good enough for a bad AHL team but I wonder if that is a symptom of playing on a garbage team or reflects poorly on his ability in general. He's still young and was pretty highly touted as a prospect so I think there's still room for his game. Goalies are weird like that. I think it would be worth qualifying him and then just burying him in the ECHL. If someone further up the pipeline gets hurt he's there to step up the ladder. He won't get higher up than an AHL backup which I think he can handle. We also don't have any other goalie prospectsthat can play at the echl/ahl level iirc?

Hollett still has another junior year and Daccord another year in college.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Ouroboros

Feb 3, 2008
That will be interesting & you expect that Hogberg will be sent to the ECHL again over the rookie Gustavsson. Interesting but why? BTW I had this same argument last yr when I predicted that Hogberg would be sent to the ECHL. I also said it about someone else & people were adamant that it would never happen & it did.

I'm not trying to be argumentative but don't you think that if a vet goaltender is brought in that it would make more sense to send the rookie who you think has #1 potential to the ECHL to get him many more games rather than having him sitting on the bench & watching? Wouldn't he be better served to play than sit?

I think Gustavsson will stick in the AHL because he's better than Högberg, and is the higher potential prospect. I'm not a big proponent of handing things out to a guy just because of age.

The nature of the AHL schedule (plenty of back-to-back games and 3-in-3 weekends) makes it pretty easy to spread the starts out and get multiple goalies enough icetime. The ECHL is not a ideal option for a legit prospect and I'd prefer to avoid it.

I also think they need a full-time goalie coach in Belleville but that doesn't seem like it's in the cards.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

The Belleville Senators had two vets last season: Hammond and Taylor. That did not bring good results. I would rather let the two young Swedes be the goaltenders in Belleville and forget about signing old vets. Let the young guys develop and see a lot of pucks. Find a third young goaltender as a backup in the ECHL. Focus on development!

Reactions: DrEasy

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I assume re-signing Dreidger would be the cheapest option & insurance against injury but it could also mean that Gustavsson could find himself between the AHL & the ECHL throughout the yr which will piss off fans on here. Should be interesting.

It always amazes me why some "fans" would get pissed off if a goaltender prospect, in his first (full) season as a pro, in North America, gets shuttled back and forth between the AHL & the ECHL?

Do they think his pride is going to get hurt, and would selfishly demand a trade or something?

A goaltender prospect needs ice time, and at this stage of his development it does not matter where he plays, as long as he gets minutes on the ice vs minutes on the bench.

Goal-tending prospects always take longer to develop into NHLer than forwards and D men do.

I suspect that training camp in Belleville, and preseason games, will determine which prospect gets the "starters" job in Belleville, and yes, perhaps Dreiger or someone ends up as the backup there, while the other prospect goaltender gets playing time in the ECHL.

Reactions: aragorn

aligator

Jan 3, 2008

Hogberg will go back to Sweden before playing in ECHL. It has already been suggested he may return to Sweden. I think Sens should sink or swim with the 2 youngsters.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
It always amazes me why some "fans" would get pissed off if a goaltender prospect, in his first (full) season as a pro, in North America, gets shuttled back and forth between the AHL & the ECHL?

Do they think his pride is going to get hurt, and would selfishly demand a trade or something?

A goaltender prospect needs ice time, and at this stage of his development it does not matter where he plays, as long as he gets minutes on the ice vs minutes on the bench.

Goal-tending prospects always take longer to develop into NHLer than forwards and D men do.

I suspect that training camp in Belleville, and preseason games, will determine which prospect gets the "starters" job in Belleville, and yes, perhaps Dreiger or someone ends up as the backup there, while the other prospect goaltender gets playing time in the ECHL.

I think the point is that Gustavsson has already succeeded in the SHL which many would assume is a better league than the ECHL.
Sure a goaltender needs ice-time, but for a prospect of Gus' caliber, playing at that level may be a waste of time/might not really help him improve playing against weaker competition.
The same could be said for Hogberg.
Thankfully I think that the organization values Gus very highly and won't let him get stuck in the E. However I don't know if I can say the same for Hog.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Hogberg will go back to Sweden before playing in ECHL. It has already been suggested he may return to Sweden. I think Sens should sink or swim with the 2 youngsters.

He's under contract with the Sens, for next season. Don't think he could play for anyone in Sweden anyways ......... so why would he go back to Sweden?

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I think the point is that Gustavsson has already succeeded in the SHL which many would assume is a better league than the ECHL.
Sure a goaltender needs ice-time, but for a prospect of Gus' caliber, playing at that level may be a waste of time/might not really help him improve playing against weaker competition.
The same could be said for Hogberg.
Thankfully I think that the organization values Gus very highly and won't let him get stuck in the E. However I don't know if I can say the same for Hog.

Sure he's played in the SHL .......... but he needs to play on North American sized ice, and perhaps for a couple of seasons.

He's not going to wasting his time, playing in the ECHL.......... he's years away from being ready for the the NHL.

No more Lazaring prospects

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
Sure he's played in the SHL .......... but he needs to play on North American sized ice, and perhaps for a couple of seasons.

He's not going to wasting his time, playing in the ECHL.......... he's years away from being ready for the the NHL.

No more Lazaring prospects

I agree with the bolded. It should just be happening in the A and not the E
How is playing Gus in the AHL "Lazaring" him???????? Not even remotely comparable situations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->