B-Sens Belleville 2017-2018 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I'd be surprised if Wolanin starts in Belleville, unless we bring in a top 4 LD somehow.
I think there will be a nice little battle for playing time at LHD ,which is something this team could use....Wolanin has shown some nice stuff in his short stint here,its now on guys like Harpur,Clae Englund ETC...To step up

Blarginator

Mar 24, 2010
We should try and get Ducharme from the Voltigeurs to coach Belleville. I think he'd be a great coach for the farm team and potentially Ottawa eventually.

Montreal just fired their AHL coach so they might already be looking at him. Would love to steal him away from them.

Reactions: JungleBeat and Deku

SevenOfSpades

Dec 9, 2010
We should try and get Ducharme from the Voltigeurs to coach Belleville. I think he'd be a great coach for the farm team and potentially Ottawa eventually.

Montreal just fired their AHL coach so they might already be looking at him. Would love to steal him away from them.

I was thinking about this too. Formenton and Batherson will likely both need seasoning, so it would be nice to have a coached who has worked with both. Not to mention Chabot...

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
He Freddy has been trending the wrong way for a couple of years now IMO and is showing to be too jittery with the puck.

I had hopes for him to be a 3rd pairing guy with a big shot and some timely hits...good enough skater but doesn't seem to see the ice well enough or maybe it is quickly enough.

Harpur showed well in the A and for stints with us - I am willing to give him more time too. Huge body who can skate and sometimes move the puck...let him adjust a bit more.

I am cautiously optimistic about Wolanin simply because I (and many here) have seen these small sample sizes play out great early and then reality catches up. Hopefully he has a productive off season and comes in to camp with the intent to stick around and force himself on the roster. Would be huge for this org if some of the young guys develop for the '18/'19 season.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
My Belleville guess for next season:

Out: IMO all the UFAs - Taylor, Blunden, Randell & Reinhart
Returning: White, Hogberg, Gustavsson, Englund, Jaros, Gagne, Dreidger, Chlapik, Sexton, Lajoie, Rodewald, Perron, Moutrey, Paul, Erkamps, Burgdoerfer, JOB, Pokka, Sieloff, Donaghey & Sturtz
Joining next season: Brown, Batherson, Luchuk, Wolanin & Leier

I assume a couple of these guys could play in Ottawa at some point next season, maybe a couple get traded or cut & a few could play between the ECHL & Belleville. I guess it's possible that if Ottawa drafts a European/Russian that he may end up in Belleville too or Ottawa.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
OK .. so tell me something is not broken here and someone shouldn't be accountable. On that top one the -1 is actually an accomplishment

Reactions: NyQuil

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
OK .. so tell me something is not broken here and someone shouldn't be accountable. On that top one the -1 is actually an accomplishment

I'm guessing that there can't be all that many, if any quality hockey players available after the hockey season starts or mid-season that can be signed to PTOs? I would expect the quality players to be all taken & these guys to be temporary fillers with very little quality. DD was probably the best of the bunch & was probably done as a favour. They did get two decent players in Pokka & Gustavsson through trades which is how I would expect to get quality players during the season.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I'm guessing that there can't be all that many, if any quality hockey players available after the hockey season starts or mid-season that can be signed to PTOs? I would expect the quality players to be all taken & these guys to be temporary fillers with very little quality. DD was probably the best of the bunch & was probably done as a favour. They did get two decent players in Pokka & Gustavsson through trades which is how I would expect to get quality players during the season.
Its the 4 year record that is most concerning to me.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

I don't think it's anything special or surprising. Guys that aren't signed during the year are leftovers, most are just signed short term to fill jerseys because there's a lot of injuries and call-ups in the AHL. I would be surprised if somebody could find a player that actually put good/decent numbers in those situations.

The problem seems to be more the fact that Sexton (only had 127 AHL games under the belt) seems to be the only veteran who put decent numbers. If you look at Pts/Game :

1. Boston Leier (8 Games)
2. Ben Sexton
3. Filip Chlapik
4. Ben Harpur
5. Colin White
6. Chris DiDomenico
7. Max McCormick
8. Thomas Chabot
9. Nick Paul
10. Andrew Sturtz
11. Ville Pokka (total)
12. Jim O'Brien

Among the 11 best PPG, 10 are prospects/rookies. Not much veteran scoring.

Outside of that, same as the big club : poor coaching, poor goaltending and lack of team defense.

Tonester01

Sep 30, 2012
Belleville and Ottawa have similar issues.. Goal tending . Defense. Management and Coaching.
Belleville Senators Season Review: Part One
Good assessment. The power play was poor but the coach never changed it. Veterans should be scorers and not guys like Selleck.
As a season ticket holder and former season ticket holder, I comment as follows:
Much more professional atmosphere and game time experience;
Concession prices are steep;
Better hockey as it is faster;
Place would rock if there was a good team;
Younger crowd than Bull's crowd;
Too much VIP parking in parking lot B and who are VIP's other than team and families. This is an issue that will turn people off the team; and
50/50 contribution to local charities is impressive.
Hopefully they keep the interest up and not destroy it like Simmonds and Burnette did.
Already renewed tickets for next year.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I don't see the Belleville Senators being all that much better next season when it's likely they will have a much younger team with more inexperienced prospects. Brown, Batherson, Luchuk should up the skill level at forward & a full yr with Wolanin could help the backend & hopefully, they get better goaltending with Hogberg & Gustavsson.

Not sure a coaching change will make that big a difference given the inexperience but I like the idea of having a coach in Belleville who is trending towards the big leagues & could take over should a change in Ottawa be necessary. Ducharme would be an interesting choice but so would any number of NHL Assistant Coaches. What about Dave Cameron in Belleville?

Reactions: Do Make Say Think

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Literally nothing we havent said here tbh. I can c/p the article and send it to you if you really want to read it tjo
Someone did already thanks though.. I read it ..very similar critiques as we have been through... its nice to see in published there though. Maybe Dorion and Lee subscribe and can get their act together with Belleville. Randy Lee is developing a reputation for the preference of the archaic hockey thug over skill.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Part 2 Eyes on the Sens end of season review
Belleville Senators Season Review: Part Two

definitely needs adjustments... Pierre said its his responsibility... they want to get younger and faster .. they want to be competitive at both levels.. they need to clean it up. This should be the easiest thing to address that could pay big dividends. Get competent people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad