Confirmed with Link: Bell MTS Place to be renamed Canada Life Centre

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
The Pony Corral Centre.
Or
Confusion Corner Arena.

Does naming rights of an arena really increase revenue for a huge corporation? Or is it just for ceo's to brag about at the golf country club?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
The Pony Corral Centre.
Or
Confusion Corner Arena.

Does naming rights of an arena really increase revenue for a huge corporation? Or is it just for ceo's to brag about at the golf country club?
There is most definitely a revenue stream for naming rights. TNSE is pretty quiet about these things but if you look to other places it is at least worth several million over the length of the deal.

RetroWinnipeg

Oct 27, 2016
www.youtube.com
The Pony Corral Centre.
Or
Confusion Corner Arena.

Or they could have gone mixed bag on the naming rights...
latest

Reactions: DannyGallivan

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
There is most definitely a revenue stream for naming rights. TNSE is pretty quiet about these things but if you look to other places it is at least worth several million over the length of the deal.

I mean for the corporation paying to have their company name and logo on an arena. Is the cost of that type of marketing increase their customer base and revenue?

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I like the name. Beats being called Salisbury House Arena/Centre or SkipTheDishes Centre.

It's a name that's respected and can be taken seriously. And dislike how we were also playing Bell vs Bell such as Montreal vs Winnipeg.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Not sure I understand what your response is?

Really? Here, I'll spell it out for you. Does slapping their name on an arena mean that Canada Life expects to attract more business? Will a company go, we were going to go Blue Cross for our employee benefits package but we're so impressed with Canada Life having an arena named after them that we're going with them? Insert sarcasm emoji as needed.

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
Not sure I understand what your response is?

I thought you misunderstood my original question. You answered as if I was asking if naming rights is a revenue stream for True North. I was just clarifying my original question.

Last edited:
Reactions: KingBogo

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

I think he's looking at it from the side of the company that is paying for the naming rights.

Does having your name on a building really bring in more revenue to Canada Life.

It's definitely gets the companies name out on broadcasts and to fans attending but I am not sure in say Scotia Banks case they will make up the amount they are paying MLSE in terms of greater sales.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
E

Etymology definitely matters. But most people don't even know what that word means, so, :banghead:
:dunno:

I had a professor in college who stated that whomever controlled language and definitions changes culture into their own image. So I guess we're becoming less sophisticated and more reactionary, and language is a big part of that.

Back to the name... I'm not upset at this change. As a former business owner myself... This kind of marketing is so lame. But it's more of a prestige thing than a bottom line thing. It's showing off, and if someone wants to waste money in that way, I guess that's their right... But their customers are paying for it.

If anything, the only 'shame' TNSE should feel is naming an arena after an insurance company, as they are one of the most despicable industries in my eyes. The one and only difference between insurance companies and the absolute worst of the lying, dishonorable, underhanded, angle-shooting degenerate gamblers of the world, is that the latter are much less likely to renege on a losing bet.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
The Pony Corral Centre.
Or
Confusion Corner Arena.

For TNSE it's not about who's name is on the building, although they will claim publicly how proud they are etc. etc. to have said name on the building, it's about how much money they got for it.

I find it silly actually, because I don't think any more insurance is going to get sold no matter how many logos are plastered on the building. But that's just me.

TNSE gets paid... CEO of said company gets to brag.

Last edited:

SSC4me

Jun 7, 2021
The helmet ad is here to stay?
They need it for when they get a hit in the head. Evidence to Parros that they had their bell rung.
Sorry, it's a beautiful Friday and I'm giddy. Have a great weekend y'all!

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
The Pony Corral Centre.
Or
Confusion Corner Arena.

We going old school in the names now? From my yesteryear…

Tijuana Yacht Club Centre
BCW Arena
Flying Pizza Place
Marigold Centre
Johnny G’s Arena

Just to name a few, Johnny G’s was my place when I lived there

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
We going old school in the names now? From my yesteryear…

Tijuana Yacht Club Centre
BCW Arena
Flying Pizza Place
Marigold Centre
Johnny G’s Arena

Just to name a few, Johnny G’s was my place when I lived there

Johnny G's was the place I we t on Sunday's to drink. And because I was underage and they never checked ID'S lol

SSC4me

Jun 7, 2021
The Dale Hawerchuk Memorial Arena.

And nothing else. Period.

Sorry it's a beautiful Friday evening am I'm half smashed. Have a good weekend and drink some y'all.

Reactions: razorsedge

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
As an employee of said 'evil soulless corporation', as some of you are painting it here, I'm fine with this.

And as far as my own experience goes, Canada Life has always treated me well, encourages a healthy work environment, and is heavily involved in charity and bettering the community. In retrospect/comparison to other places I've worked at, it's pretty good. Not sure why the all the high-horses are out.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
As an employee of said 'evil soulless corporation', as some of you are painting it here, I'm fine with this.

And as far as my own experience goes, Canada Life has always treated me well, encourages a healthy work environment, and is heavily involved in charity and bettering the community. In retrospect/comparison to other places I've worked at, it's pretty good. Not sure why the all the high-horses are out.

I know someone who works there 25+ years that says only certain points of views are welcome there.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
If anything, the only 'shame' TNSE should feel is naming an arena after an insurance company, as they are one of the most despicable industries in my eyes. The one and only difference between insurance companies and the absolute worst of the lying, dishonorable, underhanded, angle-shooting degenerate gamblers of the world, is that the latter are much less likely to renege on a losing bet.

You live in Canada, where the cell phone/media companies gauge you, the insurance companies gauge you, the banks gauge you. Heck even the lumber companies are gauging you these days. I just thank God we weren't Skip the Dishes. Or 7-11, though 7-11 does bring me back to a time when Jets tickets were affordable.

But that was when we still had national breweries in Winnipeg, a national TV network (technically still do), and Salisbury House was a place you could go to smoke, plug in some quarters into the jukebox, listen to music, with your coffee that tasted like tar.

The times they are a changing.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I mean for the corporation paying to have their company name and logo on an arena. Is the cost of that type of marketing increase their customer base and revenue?

It's advertising. I doubt it increases revenue directly but it entrenches the company in the public sphere. Furthering a brand.

Reactions: surixon

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB

They may well do all these things, and good things even in a vacuum are still good things. And there are no doubt a number of good people who work there; I'm sure you're one of them. My assessment is of the entire industry as a whole. I hope it's a clear distinction.

Reactions: SLAYER

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
I am kind of disappointed that Dr. Jay didn't apply for and win the rights. Could have been called the Buenafe, Jay Centre, aka the BJ Centre.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad