Confirmed with Link: Bell MTS Place to be renamed Canada Life Centre

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Canada Life is local.
Didn't realize that. Wawanesa is a cool story about a bunch of farmers getting together and pooling their resources to look after each other. Something about 4 or 5 guys around a campfire coming up with a plan..

At least that's the story I was told

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Didn't realize that. Wawanesa is a cool story about a bunch of farmers getting together and pooling their resources to look after each other. Something about 4 or 5 guys around a campfire coming up with a plan..

Yeah Canada Life is just the old Great West Life, massive presence in the city.

RetroWinnipeg

Oct 27, 2016
www.youtube.com

They have a sizeable presence in California, if I'm not mistaken.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Cannot say Nip
No way
No how

For people quick to accuse of homophobia, they sure show a massive homophone phobia.

Imagine if one of those people had a child who asked "for a bat" for Christmas. Would any sane human think that kid was 50/50 for a rabies shot?

And it gets worse. Right now, the word n!ggardly (I have no problem dodging a censor that wrongly censors a word that is not an ethnic slur) is treated as bad as "the N-word" even though the former is from a Norse root (hnøggr, meaning 'cheap) with zero skin color overtones. Rapidly approaching is 'chicanery' (= trickery, related to 'chicane', a short juke in a race course, and not 'chicano') and "pedant" (an intellectual nitpicker, and not a pederast).

Right now, in the English language, the word 'nip' has multiple meanings for the same sound. One is an ethnic slur for Japanese people (based on 'Nippon'); another is "a small bite". You are presented with a small amount of ground beef on a small patty for a small price at a discount diner. Anyone who would see this as ANYTHING but the latter needs a permaban. From the forum and from life, to be frank.

Yes, I'm damn mad.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Scotiabank is paying $40 million per year for the naming rights to the arena in Toronto. I imagine we're getting somewhat less than that here. $1.5M-ish/year maybe? It's a lot of national advertising for $1.5M.

As a business owner and advertising atheiest I cringe at the term National advertising :laugh:. This is where executives come in handy.

Reactions: Gm0ney

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
Put me in the it's irrelevant and doesn't make 2 shits of a difference for me. How much they get for the rights.... Thats the only relevant part but even then it's not.

I am curious about this too and I wonder why the price wasn't announced (or at least revealed by reporters) the way these deals usually are.

Considering the entire rink cost $200 million to build, getting even $4 or $5 million a year over 10 years would be a pretty hefty chunk of the building's sticker price.

Reactions: surixon

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Yeah Canada Life is just the old Great West Life, massive presence in the city.

Partly. Canada Life is Great-West Life, London Life, and the old Canada Life put together. It's part of Power Corp, and Investors Group and MacKenzie Financial are also part of Power (along with other companies like Irish Life, Putnam, etc).

Reactions: voyageur and buggs

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
I'll meet you guys at the ARENA, that's what i call it.:laugh:

Exactly this. At one point you couldn't say it because the two buildings overlapped, but the old arena has been gone for so long that there is no longer any risk of confusion.

The home of the Jets shall henceforth be known to me only as THE ARENA!!!

Reactions: Jets 31

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
Bit of an overreaction, maybe? Did a giant corporation kick your puppy?

well..
giant corporations have crashed the economy and then took my tax dollars to cover their cheating and lies and irresponsible behaviour, they ruined my environment, used money and lobbying to undermine democracy, undermine our justice system, and education. interfered in foreign elections and politics to maintain profits,

I can keep going? what don't you read or understand history?

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
E
For people quick to accuse of homophobia, they sure show a massive homophone phobia.

Imagine if one of those people had a child who asked "for a bat" for Christmas. Would any sane human think that kid was 50/50 for a rabies shot?

And it gets worse. Right now, the word n!ggardly (I have no problem dodging a censor that wrongly censors a word that is not an ethnic slur) is treated as bad as "the N-word" even though the former is from a Norse root (hnøggr, meaning 'cheap) with zero skin color overtones. Rapidly approaching is 'chicanery' (= trickery, related to 'chicane', a short juke in a race course, and not 'chicano') and "pedant" (an intellectual nitpicker, and not a pederast).

Right now, in the English language, the word 'nip' has multiple meanings for the same sound. One is an ethnic slur for Japanese people (based on 'Nippon'); another is "a small bite". You are presented with a small amount of ground beef on a small patty for a small price at a discount diner. Anyone who would see this as ANYTHING but the latter needs a permaban. From the forum and from life, to be frank.

Yes, I'm damn mad.
Etymology definitely matters. But most people don't even know what that word means, so, :banghead:
:dunno:

I had a professor in college who stated that whomever controlled language and definitions changes culture into their own image. So I guess we're becoming less sophisticated and more reactionary, and language is a big part of that.

Back to the name... I'm not upset at this change. As a former business owner myself... This kind of marketing is so lame. But it's more of a prestige thing than a bottom line thing. It's showing off, and if someone wants to waste money in that way, I guess that's their right... But their customers are paying for it.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
E

Etymology definitely matters. But most people don't even know what that word means, so, :banghead:
:dunno:

I had a professor in college who stated that whomever controlled language and definitions changes culture into their own image. So I guess we're becoming less sophisticated and more reactionary, and language is a big part of that.

Back to the name... I'm not upset at this change. As a former business owner myself... This kind of marketing is so lame. But it's more of a prestige thing than a bottom line thing. It's showing off, and if someone wants to waste money in that way, I guess that's their right... But their customers are paying for it.

I would suggest your prof was simplifying things....Words don't have meanings they never did...they have usage, which is different. which is why I can Screw with you, screw with you or screw with you, and none of those phrases refer to a twisted metal fastener.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad