Confirmed with Link: Bell MTS Place to be renamed Canada Life Centre

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
How interesting… renewed, and yet the BMTS Place will see a new name come July 1st.

Reactions: jetsforever

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Must be interesting being in a company big enough that marketing can talk you into pissing away cash like this.

Reactions: FonRiesen

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I miss the Montreal Forum, Boston Gardens, Northlands Coliseum, The Spectrum, Maple Leaf Garden, Madison Square Garden, Nassau County Coliseum etc.

Guess I'm just an old fart!
I miss those as well. Everything had more personality in those days, but all for reasons that aren't possible today. Cars looked much better (gas guzzling death traps), players had more personality (helmetless heads would be suicide today), and of course the arenas had individual names which led to their legacy, mystique, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

SSC4me

Jun 7, 2021
I miss those as well. Everything had more personality in those days, but all for reasons that aren't possibly today. Cars looked much better (gas guzzling death traps), players had more personality (helmetless heads would be suicide today), and of course the arenas had individual names which led to their legacy, mystique, etc.

Mystique! That's the word, well put.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Canada Life Centre

CL Centre

Seal Centre

iu

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Must be interesting being in a company big enough that marketing can talk you into pissing away cash like this.
Scotiabank is paying $40 million per year for the naming rights to the arena in Toronto. I imagine we're getting somewhat less than that here. $1.5M-ish/year maybe? It's a lot of national advertising for $1.5M.

Reactions: ps241

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I miss the Montreal Forum, Boston Gardens, Northlands Coliseum, The Spectrum, Maple Leaf Garden, Madison Square Garden, Nassau County Coliseum etc.

Guess I'm just an old fart!

YES
I have never liked the sale of naming rights. I like the periodic renaming of just about everything these days even less. Contracts expire, new ones take their place. Nothing has any character. Nothing lasts. I wish they would give these things names and then just attach the corporate name to it. We could go from the Bell Winnipeg Arena to the Canada Life Winnipeg Arena. But that isn't good enough for the millions in marketing money being spent. People might occasionally refer to the building without actually saying the corporate name. Can't have that. :sarcasm:

That said, I prefer the new name to the old name.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad