Friedman: "Believe trade market is being held up by one or two teams being hesitant"

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Kane has always been on his best behaviour waiting to cash out. This does not excuse his negative behaviour. Look at his best years:

2011/12 Season @ 57 points was his best season
2012/18 contract @ $5.25M per

2009/10 - 26 points
2010/11 - 43 points
2011/12 - 57 points
2012/13 - 33 points
2013/14 - 41 points
2014/15 - 22 points
2015/16 - 35 points
2016/17 - 43 points
2017/18 - 35 points (projected 70)

Interestingly, his best seasons have always been his final season before a new contract 2011/12 & 2017/18. However, the seasons prior to his final years are his next best 2010/11 & 2016/17.

The numbers don’t lie, he improves his play when it personally suits him. Any team stupid enough to take him has nobody else to blame when he fails to meet expectations.

He’s worthless unless he’s on his final season. Consider him only as a rental and nothing more...3rd round pick.

Maybe you should include number of games played in each season for context. Like the last season??
Looks like Kane has improved his point total for the 4th straight season....
Kane is an ideal playoff power forward.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I think Montreal could be a team to watch, for sure, as we approach the trade deadline. Depends on who they want to trade. A guy like Patches could get a good return IMO.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Personally I won't care either way unless my team trades for him, which I know won't happen as the Leafs are big on character and they would never bring in someone like that. I think a lot of contending teams (primary market for Kane) will be nervous to introduce an "Alpha" personality to their locker rooms right before the playoffs.

Personally, I don't care what we get for Kane as long as he goes to the team that faces the Leafs in the first round. Penguins? Would love nothing better than Kane to "Alpha" smash the crap out of the Leafs D and Kadri.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
“I have a theory, Jeff, that there is a team or two that a lot of other clubs want to deal with that aren’t ready to do anything yet. And that’s holding things up,” said Friedman.

article_c5997342-af4b-4685-bf91-14d11c1c8698.jpg

havent read through all the responses, but I would bet bottom dollar two of the teams are a three horse race between Ottawa, Edmonton, and Montreal

Canada reverting back into a dumpster fire if it wasnt for WPG and TOR finally showing promise, Calgary in limbo and VAN is hard to peg, but they hit a gem with Boeser

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Maybe you should include number of games played in each season for context. Like the last season??
Looks like Kane has improved his point total for the 4th straight season....
Kane is an ideal playoff power forward.

He can be an incredible Power Forward, but attitude has always been the problem. You can spin whatever excuse, but his best seasons have been the final year of his contract. The year prior is used to demonstrate his improvement to show his immense potential.

I believe most GMs are aware of his antics and unfortunately for Buffalo they're stuck with him. If they can unload him for anything, take the deal. Kane will look for the team that pays the highest and longest until the next deal.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
There is nothing here

Exactly. Moves of any significance didn't start until late February last season. It's not too rare for big trades to happen in January, but it's not like trades are lagging in any way. They're just inventing something to talk about to create expectations and traffic.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Whenever trades that are predicted don't go through, market held up by this team or that team.

Rinse recycle repeat.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I wish folks would write down what all these "crazy antics" were. I can only think of one that was documented. Mostly just rumours, and didn't they happen year ago in Winnipeg? For a rental, it won't affect his value.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Personally, I don't care what we get for Kane as long as he goes to the team that faces the Leafs in the first round. Penguins? Would love nothing better than Kane to "Alpha" smash the crap out of the Leafs D and Kadri.

Understandable. I know what it's like to be frustrated as a fan and having a guy from your team take down a division rival would be very satisying. If the Leafs do face the penguins like you suggest, it means they've at least won a playoff series, so I would be happy with that.

Keystone

Apr 30, 2011
Manitoba
I can’t see Ottawa trading their first round pick and then starting a rebuild the same year. Sounds like GM suicide.

HabsEstrie

Sep 30, 2017
I know one place we are going, and that is the playoffs, and the Habs are in purgatory.

Super rebuttal, lol the Leafs are relevant for the first time in 30 years. Now you are cocky ? Way to come out of the closet. And why bring the Habs in this ? Insecure ?

Reactions: dukeofjive

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
I didn't listen to this at all, but if I was a betting man, Pittsburgh is one of the three teams. Are they going to reset, or make a deal to help this year? There has been a big buzz that JR is itching to make a deal (a major one), but hasn't.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Threads and articles like this causes me to do a face palm

Team A wants a good player from Team B
but Team A is only offering scraps to Team B--so Team B is called being hesitant?

Nov 24, 2006
Conversely, sabres fans reactions to a potential return might be epic. Remember Detroit fans last year with Vanek having a huge year they thought they would cash in and they got a 3rd. GM's know his history and know the Sabres have to move him or else they lose an asset for free. He could return a late 2nd and B prospect.

Kane could easily get hammered and steal a helicopter before the trade deadline. Price drops to a 4th rounder plus a new helicopter.

Reactions: Stlblues98

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Exactly. Moves of any significance didn't start until late February last season. It's not too rare for big trades to happen in January, but it's not like trades are lagging in any way. They're just inventing something to talk about to create expectations and traffic.

Lou Lamoriello showed them how to get it done in 2016. Helps to know where you stand in the market, unlike the Bergevins of the NHL who continue to entertain fantasy projections, delay the inevitable and will see potential suitors likely fill their needs elsewhere as a result.

Lamoriello's first trade of 2016 was on January 3rd. By February 28th, he completed 6 deals, picking up 6 draft picks, the most significant of which were four 2nd rounders. I remember how Lamoriello was first to the gate and made sure he was the one whose assets found an assured buyer before someone else could jump in and block his strategy.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
I am still hoping for a deal. I would gladly entertain a deal involving Fabbri/Kyrou/Kostin. My fear is that Hextall may be demanding Thomas, and that, could be a problem.

And I can't blame you. Thomas is a great prospect and the Blues should hold on to him. Fabbri, as great as he is, we have in Morgan Frost. Therefore I would love to deal for Kostin/Kyrou +. I believe Kyrou will play as a winger in the NHL:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
So in the league where 1/4 of the league has less than a million in available cap space for the rest of the season, we're supposed to believe there is a team or two who are gumming up the works somehow in hockey related trades, not cap related trades? Or could this all be about what teams are going to eat a plate of shit for someone else's poor contract decisions so that actual hockey trades can start to happen?

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad