Friedman: "Believe trade market is being held up by one or two teams being hesitant"

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
Habs are definetly one of those teams. I imagine they are waiting to see if the prices for their players on the block (mainly Pacioretty) can get a little higher the longer they wait. I imagine they have received a few quality offers, but there's no harm in waiting until their bye-week next week before making a major move.

Reactions: Runner77

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Why would the Oilers be holding anything up? Come and get your Patrick Maroons and Mark Letestus...

The Oilers should probably being doing more long-term buying than selling to be honest.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
The NHL trade market is a total farce anyways. Every year something happens that makes people think it will increase trades but then months later people will use that same situation to explain why trades are not happening.

When it was revealed the Salary Cap would not rise: "teams close to the cap are going to have to trade players to remain under the cap."

Before free agency: "Hossa has a (randomly new) skin condition and will be on LTIR. Lupul has a major back injury, he is on LTIR, Horton is on LTIR."

6 months before the expansion draft: "The NHL Expansion Draft will promote trading because teams would rather acquire a 6th round pick than lose a player for nothing."

1 month before the protection lists are handed in: "Teams are hesitant to make any trades because if they trade someone that means they have to protect the new player."

It always happens. NHL GM's are the most conservative executives in sports. They would rather sit on their hands than lose a trade. So this "trade market is stalled by hesitancy" is not surprising.
Bingo! And why?

We now have too many "hockey insiders" who get trotted out on tv, radio, web sites, blogs, etc etc every single day and they need something to talk about. It wasn't that long ago you would only hear from Mackenzie or Dreger when they actually had something to say and that wasn't even once/month. Now they are BS parodies of themselves. They now rarely come out with inside info. Every time I hear Dreger he will start with "I'm not saying I heard this but this is what I'M thinking..." like I care.

We now have more sports channels, stations, websites etc that are dedicated to hockey and sports and they need programming these "insiders" have little more credibility than the Nation Enquirer at the check out stand of the grocery store. Sensational headlines with BS stories. So keep feeding the masses that you better stayed tuned because something is going happen...probably... maybe.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
In Oct the NYI told teams not to call about Tavares until Jan 30th.

After this was reported,it was repeated in a 2nd news blurb, but the writer screwed up the date saying it was Jan
1st. Pretty sure if teams had been calling the isles for the last week and making offers, some one in the press would have reported on that contact.

I would not be surprised if some teams were not waiting , hoping to see the isles move Tavares

Reactions: IODCPiper

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Why would the Oilers be holding anything up? Come and get your Patrick Maroons and Mark Letestus...

The Oilers should probably being doing more long-term buying than selling to be honest.

I'm betting teams are wanting Draisaitl Larsson Klefom Nurse and Nuge.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
It wouldn't surprise me if Ottawa is a team that's being hesitant. I can't really blame them if they want to wait it out a little longer to see how much their record improves.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
Weber is not expected to be back until after ASG. Habs would need about 57pts for a playoff spot in 2nd half which isn't going to happen. At this point Montreal is a selling team, only question is how much unless MB is really delusional.

I know that they are sellers, and you know that they are sellers, MBs job is to make the team better so he will always hold out hope....

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Ottawas gotta be one of them. They have alot of enticing players (Hoffman, Pageau, Smith,Brassard). Teams might be waiting for Hoffman to become available before making a move on guys like Kane or Pacioretty.

Field of Dreams

Oct 10, 2011
Port Credit
“I have a theory, Jeff, that there is a team or two that a lot of other clubs want to deal with that aren’t ready to do anything yet. And that’s holding things up,” said Friedman.

article_c5997342-af4b-4685-bf91-14d11c1c8698.jpg

Coffee on keyboard

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
If the Blues are one of the teams "holding things up", I hope they continue to do so. Stick to your guns, Armstrong!

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Yeah I would love Wayne Simmonds. Huge fan, great player, pretty good cap hit.

But the cost is probably much higher than I’m willing to pay I bet
I am still hoping for a deal. I would gladly entertain a deal involving Fabbri/Kyrou/Kostin. My fear is that Hextall may be demanding Thomas, and that, could be a problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00