Friedman: "Believe trade market is being held up by one or two teams being hesitant"

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
It makes since that STL is holding off if it's them. We have to figure out a timetable of Schwartz return. We also have to figure out with the emergence of stage Thompson whether or not we need a 2RW or 3 RW

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
If it comes down to a choice of Simmonds, Hoffman or Kane, (and reading between the lines says that is the case!), I choose Simmonds hands down. Hoffman, maybe, for the right price. I want nothing to do whatever with Evander Kane.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Bingo! And why?

We now have too many "hockey insiders" who get trotted out on tv, radio, web sites, blogs, etc etc every single day and they need something to talk about. It wasn't that long ago you would only hear from Mackenzie or Dreger when they actually had something to say and that wasn't even once/month. Now they are BS parodies of themselves. They now rarely come out with inside info. Every time I hear Dreger he will start with "I'm not saying I heard this but this is what I'M thinking..." like I care.

We now have more sports channels, stations, websites etc that are dedicated to hockey and sports and they need programming these "insiders" have little more credibility than the Nation Enquirer at the check out stand of the grocery store. Sensational headlines with BS stories. So keep feeding the masses that you better stayed tuned because something is going happen...probably... maybe.

It's become a cottage factory. Every network station has them making the rounds, 2 times a week if not more. And inevitably, with nothing important to share, there is a lot of hemming and hawing and abject speculation that is the furthest thing that you are looking for. We've long reached saturation point, even the platitudes and fake enthusiasm from their trade deadline "frenzy" can be recycled year over year.

And it gets worse. The closeness of these insiders to management and owners will have piling excuses to protect their friends, which renders them even less newsworthy and of interest. And the spin from some of them, is just nauseating. Take Pierre LeBrun as an example and see how many tales he's been spinning about how no one works the phones harder than Marc Bergevin. His team has cratered and sure enough, it hasn't stopped him from rehasing the same crap. Just don't ask him if he has any inside info about when Bergevin will be fired.

Reactions: dukeofjive

HabsEstrie

Sep 30, 2017
If it comes down to a choice of Simmonds, Hoffman or Kane, (and reading between the lines says that is the case!), I choose Simmonds hands down. Hoffman, maybe, for the right price. I want nothing to do whatever with Evander Kane.

Let me guess, you didn't put #67 in that list because you despise the Habs ?

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Leafs for sure.As we speak they are pretenders. With some major changes they could become contenders.

Leafs aren't trying to win it all this year. Team is still too inexperienced. If anything there will be a similar deal to Boyle and that's it. Anything they do to address any perceived needs will be done either at the draft or over the summer.

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
Yeah like their whole defense and a goalie. LMAO !!

Whenever I see people post this I question if they've ever watched a game.Andersen is a top goalie, there are a small handful of goalies I'd trade Andersen for 1 for 1, and at that point the difference in salary basically has the team the same as it means less salary on defense.

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
Its gonna be hilarous when some team gives up something of decent value for E Kane. That teams fans meltdown on here will be epic.

Conversely, sabres fans reactions to a potential return might be epic. Remember Detroit fans last year with Vanek having a huge year they thought they would cash in and they got a 3rd. GM's know his history and know the Sabres have to move him or else they lose an asset for free. He could return a late 2nd and B prospect.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Conversely, sabres fans reactions to a potential return might be epic. Remember Detroit fans last year with Vanek having a huge year they thought they would cash in and they got a 3rd. GM's know his history and know the Sabres have to move him or else they lose an asset for free. He could return a late 2nd and B prospect.

I’d like to bet you on this return.

He’s put together over a year of production that is not readily available at a deadline...on top of physical play team wants in the playoffs.

“They know the sabres have to move him” yeah that’s most rentals especially the ones with big names.

“They know his track record”. Do they know all of it? Because not only will the last year and a half of being a good soldier loved in the room count...but HES A RENTAL.

Look forward to your head scratching anger when he returns a ton.

At the end of the day you can’t buy his even strength production anywhere else.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
We hear this every year. Its a farce.
Trade market picks up toward Feb. And the deadline. And outside of UFA's can't see but a small amount of teams making roster altering trades in season.

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
I’d like to bet you on this return.

He’s put together over a year of production that is not readily available at a deadline...on top of physical play team wants in the playoffs.

“They know the sabres have to move him” yeah that’s most rentals especially the ones with big names.

“They know his track record”. Do they know all of it? Because not only will the last year and a half of being a good soldier loved in the room count...but HES A RENTAL.

Look forward to your head scratching anger when he returns a ton.

At the end of the day you can’t buy his even strength production anywhere else.

Personally I won't care either way unless my team trades for him, which I know won't happen as the Leafs are big on character and they would never bring in someone like that. I think a lot of contending teams (primary market for Kane) will be nervous to introduce an "Alpha" personality to their locker rooms right before the playoffs.

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
I think Habs are going to be part of that group. The only other issue that I didn’t see anyone post about. I think there could be selling off on the Habs like pending UFAs.

I just am not sure Molson will let Bergevin do his thing if his job is on the line. The team has gotten older and haven’t gone anywheres this season.

I think Pacioretty will be dealt in the offseason.

With someone else at the helm running the team.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Its gonna be hilarous when some team gives up something of decent value for E Kane. That teams fans meltdown on here will be epic.

Kane has always been on his best behaviour waiting to cash out. This does not excuse his negative behaviour. Look at his best years:

2011/12 Season @ 57 points was his best season
2012/18 contract @ $5.25M per

2009/10 - 26 points
2010/11 - 43 points
2011/12 - 57 points
2012/13 - 33 points
2013/14 - 41 points
2014/15 - 22 points
2015/16 - 35 points
2016/17 - 43 points
2017/18 - 35 points (projected 70)

Interestingly, his best seasons have always been his final season before a new contract 2011/12 & 2017/18. However, the seasons prior to his final years are his next best 2010/11 & 2016/17.

The numbers don’t lie, he improves his play when it personally suits him. Any team stupid enough to take him has nobody else to blame when he fails to meet expectations.

He’s worthless unless he’s on his final season. Consider him only as a rental and nothing more...3rd round pick.

Lemieuxs

Nov 23, 2013
I hate when they say things like this. Before it was all the dominoes would fall after Matt D was traded.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis

Ahh the whole woe is me defense. I'm going to guess it has to do with Patches under performing this year. Maybe he despises their play this year? Or doesn't want to trade for someone that has been considered a ghost in the playoffs.

Regardless. I find it hard to want to trade a premium for a guy that isnsforing at essentially the same clip as Vladimir Sobotka who we very likely may need to trade to fit in Parches cap wise.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule

He doesn't fit the team need. Hoffman can play RW (From what I seen from Sen's fans) and Simmonds is a Natural RW. Now if MTL was talking Gallagher, maybe. but Patches doesn't do much for the Blues in the long run.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I think it might be David Poile clogging the works. He's been thinking about a top 6 forward for a while.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
I predict any team that acquires any significant asset doesn't do so well following the deal.

Team chemistry and structure is more important than skill. It's almost more important to not interrupt that imo.

Reactions: TS Quint

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4