Friedman: Belief there is potential for "really big deal" between Vegas and Columbus

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
[on Columbus]“They have some big cap and expansion draft decisions,†noted NHL Insider Elliotte Friedman as part of a brief discussion on the team while doing an April 21 radio segment on Toronto’s Sportsnet 590. “I know there’s a couple teams out there that suspect that they could make a really big deal with Vegas to eliminate all of those kind of problems. We’ll see what they’re going to do.
https://www.fanragsports.com/news/friedman-looks-off-season-issues-facing-blue-jackets/

I wonder if this is "really big" in terms of name value, or in terms of cap hit. If it's the latter I wonder about Clarkson.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
Clarkson is most likely done playing, on LTIR, and his contract is insured. I am not sure it has to do with him.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Clarkson can go LTIR so I don't see this.
I'm thinking Bobrovsky at 7+ million cap hit. Especially if Columbus has big faith in Korpisalo. That's a huge chunk of cap relief. Was Columbus happy with the playoff performance?

Hartnell is possible also.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
So what's in it for Vegas? If they're taking on those kinds of contracts they must be getting something in the way of picks and prospects from the Jackets as a part of the deal.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I would have my Hartnell set on it.

Don't start Gagner up on each other now.

On topic, a high cap player with value and a cap dump for a 2nd (let's say) could make sense. I'm curious to see whether this deal comes to fruition.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
This is going to be such a strange thing to see. The NHLs biggest worry going into this was finding a way to make a team in a new locale that isn't Canada (or Minnesota) have an impact as quickly as possible, and avoid the mistakes made with Ottawa and Tampa in previous expansion drafts. To see all of it come unraveled through trading for big/bad contracts and amass draft picks and assets (which don't get me wrong, isn't a bad strategy, you don't want a one hit wonder) i'm sure won't sit well with the league, but they won't do **** about it.

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
I don't think Vegas is going to be the contract dumping ground people hope it will be.

Doan go down that road.

Same. I don't see the incentive for Vegas to take on horrid contracts. The expansion rules essentially guarantee them a solid pool of defenseman, some decent forwards and a top pick in the draft.

A big name in Bob would be interesting for sure.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
What are the team needs and what are the tradable pieces?

CBJ - Most glaring need is top 6 scoring. Plenty of depth on defense, but lack of elite talent at forward to match Werenski and Jones.

Gotta think everyone but Jones & Werenski could be traded, though team really doesn't want to part with Wennberg or Dubois either I wouldn't think. Dubinsky and Foligno have NMCs as does Bobrovsky. Hartnell has a NMC but speculation is he'll waive or team will buy him out if he doesn't.

Most likely to be traded - Ryan Murray, Sonny Milano, might also see Cam Atkinson's name floating around as he's in a contract year and CBJ have a lot of similar players under 22 coming in.

Not sure what the "big deal" might be unless it's a wait-and-see type thing with who Vegas selects.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
CBJ - Most glaring need is top 6 scoring. Plenty of depth on defense, but lack of elite talent at forward to match Werenski and Jones.

Gotta think everyone but Jones & Werenski could be traded, though team really doesn't want to part with Wennberg or Dubois either I wouldn't think. Dubinsky and Foligno have NMCs as does Bobrovsky. Hartnell has a NMC but speculation is he'll waive or team will buy him out if he doesn't.

Most likely to be traded - Ryan Murray, Sonny Milano, might also see Cam Atkinson's name floating around as he's in a contract year and CBJ have a lot of similar players under 22 coming in.

Not sure what the "big deal" might be unless it's a wait-and-see type thing with who Vegas selects.
I would argue that the most glaring need is gamebreaker-level scoring, not "top-6" scoring depth. That last is basically the alpha and omega of our offense, and we've got a metric ***ton of it.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Clarkson can go LTIR so I don't see this.
I'm thinking Bobrovsky at 7+ million cap hit. Especially if Columbus has big faith in Korpisalo. That's a huge chunk of cap relief. Was Columbus happy with the playoff performance?

Hartnell is possible also.

He's about to win his second Vezina for them. I can't possibly see them trying to dump him

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Maybe they trade a 1st, Murray, + for LVs top 4 pick? Maybe they have a C in mind to go after. I can't imagine any other real deal. No reason to trade Clarkson and our high contracts have NMCs so there's nothing there. The only one I see willing to waive might be Hartnell but I doubt he wants to waste his end in LV so he likely gets bought out. That leaves Murray and maybe a Jenner on the main club I can see moving amd.aftet that it's picks and prospects.

We are loaded on D and wing so the only since is play making C and they aren't getting that through expansion so unless it's for the pick I Honestly have 0 idea what this could mean if it's even accurate.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I would argue that the most glaring need is gamebreaker-level scoring, not "top-6" scoring depth. That last is basically the alpha and omega of our offense, and we've got a metric ***ton of it.

Agreed. They need a tentpole at forward to go with Jones and Werenski on the backend and Bob in goal.

Also, this is just pure speculation by Friedman based on his assessment of the situation.

Last edited:

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Same. I don't see the incentive for Vegas to take on horrid contracts. The expansion rules essentially guarantee them a solid pool of defenseman, some decent forwards and a top pick in the draft.

A big name in Bob would be interesting for sure.

I don't think Vegas will take on crap contracts, but I could see Vegas take on decent players who are overpaid in exchange for picks and prospects. Idea wise, similar to what Ottawa did when they acquired Phaneuf.

IMO, I think they do it mostly to reach the cap floor but take on 2-3 of such contracts maximum. Flames fans for instance think a decent prospect could entice Vegas to take Brouwer (a decent middle 6 option) and give us the ability in acquiring a guy who stylistically might fit our play style better. I don't think Brouwer is as bad as some fans say, but he's definitely a good chunk of cap and he doesn't seem to show he's a good fit in Gulutzan's system at the moment.

I think the Clarksons and AMac contracts are out, but downgrading a young guy slightly to take on guys like Hartnell, Brouwer, Phaneuf etc. who still have some quality amounts of game left in them. could allow Vegas to have a decent young group on top of being able to ice a respectable roster for the 2017-2018 season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad