Belak Unofficial Retirement

straka91*

http://blogs.tennessean.com/predators/2011/03/08/belak-to-stay-with-predators/

SAN JOSE, Calif. Many have inquired on the whereabouts of Wade Belak. The Predators announced that Belak had been sent to Milwaukee on Feb. 26. He has yet to play there. And now we know why. Belak apparently never went to Milwaukee. He’s also being compensated in full for his NHL deal, which is worth $575,ooo. Below is a statement from a Predators spokesman.

Being a veteran, Wade was given the option of going to Milwaukee or staying around Nashville – where he wants to make his home long term – to work for the franchise in other ways in the community and on the broadcasting/business side. He chose the latter, so will continue to do the Wade Belak Show, appear on some TV and Radio broadcasts between now and the end of the season, and also help out in some other areas.

Sad to see another Heavy Weight leave the business. Best of wishes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dylonus

May 4, 2009
Pittsburgh
He's definitely one of the few honestly respected heavyweights in the league. Would have loved to have him here in Pittsburgh.

Glad to see him sticking around Nashville. They have some quality prospects coming up. They could use his veteran presence around Nashville.

HoverCarle*

Similar to Cote who is now an assistant coach on the Phantoms

GTA Fan

ಠ_ಠ
Jul 7, 2010
One of my favorite Leaf's ever. I remember when he was traded at the deadline, I was pissed. Awesome guy, wish him the best.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
He's been doing spot color duty on the radio broadcasts...guy has a long career ahead of him doing just that. As others have alluded, he's completely hilarious.

His TV segments are called "Wade's World," for whomever asked.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
I wonder how many tough guys in the future will be able to go out on their own terms in the same manner. Seems like a lot of them are getting pushed out the door via the trainers room anymore.

straka91*

I wonder how many tough guys in the future will be able to go out on their own terms in the same manner. Seems like a lot of them are getting pushed out the door via the trainers room anymore.

I doubt many of the hw's will go out on their own terms in the future. Doubt we will see more than 8 heavies in the future the way things are going anyways.:(

I think the Carcillo's, Konopka's, and Prust's will go out on their own terms though.

facts

Aug 3, 2005
When he was with the leafs he did a bit for TSN on the stae of the locker rooms in the old igloo in Pits, it was hilarious, you could tell that the media guy was laughing so hard at him. He was a great role guy and really funny. I would love to see that bit again.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
his wife owns\operates an interior design company in the affluent suburb of Franklin, so he gets to take on a convenient role with the team, titled "ambassador," in which he does whatever they want him to -- make appearances, color commentary, crack jokes in the lockerroom...whatever.

I don't think he'll be making 500K for it after this season, but I'm glad that a good guy gets to stay where he wants to be and gets to hang around the game in some way.

Seth Lake

Jun 28, 2005
Nashville, TN
Wade is also a volunteer firefighter with the City of Franklin as well. He went though the necessary training last summer and even went on calls, but had the understanding that due to the hazardous nature of the job that he would not take part during the hockey season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad