OT: Beer Thread II

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
I opened up a '16 bottle of KBS in January, and it was damn good, the coffee had definitely mellowed out.

Speaking of Founders, was not impressed with their Breakfast Stout, it just tastes like black coffee. Backwoods Basterd on the other hand might be my favorite beer of theirs.

I also picked up a bottle of Mikkeller's Breakfast Stout to enjoy with last night's playoff games, it's pretty average. Stouts with coffee can be hit or miss, especially if the coffee flavor is mostly all you get. My personal favorite is Epic Brewing's Big Bad Baptist and Big Bad Baptista. Have yet to try the Double Barrel Baptist, and it's on my wishlist.

And good luck with your bar exam!

Thank you! Two months of torture upcoming to prepare for two days of hell.

Interesting that you didn't like the regular Breakfast Stout. I always enjoy having one.

I had the Big Bad Baptist years ago so I can't remember what exactly I thought of it, unfortunately. I haven't seen Epic anywhere up here in the Northeast, so that'll probably have to wait until I'm back in California the next time.

I cracked my 2016 release of the Goose Island Bourbon County Brand Stout last week, and man was that amazing. Really chocolately and raisiny. No burning alcohol at all. It was delicious and aged very well.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Ha, I just had some 2016 BCBS this past weekend as well. When I had it fresh in November I definitely got the burn from the booze, but after 8 months it really mellows out and it's so damn good.

I'm saving my other 2016 BCBS for an occasion, perhaps the Kings home opener. I may definitely need some strong beers for the upcoming season.

tonellisghost

Oct 3, 2017
Living now in Bonners Ferry Idaho (have been for awhile) and I am in the center of an excellent micro brewery haven as well as 20 minutes to the Cad border and a whole slew of different brews. This summer I tried an IPA called "The Gem State" from a mb called Kootenei Brewing co and it is one of the nicest beer I have had in years. Really good.

Reactions: Chazz Reinhold

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site
Living now in Bonners Ferry Idaho (have been for awhile) and I am in the center of an excellent micro brewery haven as well as 20 minutes to the Cad border and a whole slew of different brews. This summer I tried an IPA called "The Gem State" from a mb called Kootenei Brewing co and it is one of the nicest beer I have had in years. Really good.

Since you're up in that area, Try anything and everything Melvin Brewing makes. Starting to get a lot of their beers down here, haven't been disappointed.

tonellisghost

Oct 3, 2017
Since you're up in that area, Try anything and everything Melvin Brewing makes. Starting to get a lot of their beers down here, haven't been disappointed.

Melvin Brewing, got it. I will mention any good ones I find here. I can't get Asahi Dry (I know) up here but I have always liked it. Crisp dry one for a hot day.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Breakfast Stout might be my favorite.

But this season, every game I've had a Cali Creamin', and I'm not gonna stop :P

Reactions: KingsRule

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Any suggestions similar to the Allagash Curieux?

I haven’t had the Curieux yet, though I do have a bottle of it sitting on my closet since last year, aging.

I have had AleSmith’s Horny Devil though, I think a similar styled Belgian Strong Ale, with a similar ABV, though not Barrel Aged like Curieux.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
According to Founders' Instagram, the Canadian Breakfast Stout will be out in 12/1. Really hope they're planning a wide distribution.

Today is that day, and I plan on picking up a bottle.

Last week on Black Friday, Goose Island released BCBS, I picked up a couple of bottles of the regular BCBS and a Barleywine. Haven't opened any of them yet, so can't say how it compares to last year's, which I did enjoy quite a bit.

I really need to start drinking some of these beers I've been storing away. My closet has over 20+ high ABV beers, and it keeps growing. Damn winter season, always releasing all of these delicious stouts.

Reactions: King Trouty

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
Today is that day, and I plan on picking up a bottle.

Last week on Black Friday, Goose Island released BCBS, I picked up a couple of bottles of the regular BCBS and a Barleywine. Haven't opened any of them yet, so can't say how it compares to last year's, which I did enjoy quite a bit.

I really need to start drinking some of these beers I've been storing away. My closet has over 20+ high ABV beers, and it keeps growing. Damn winter season, always releasing all of these delicious stouts.

I'm going to do my seeking tomorrow, although there aren't many craft beer stores my way and the quality (and quantity) of distribution leaves something to be desired. Although, KBS has been a constant a couple hours away the past few years.

mrkolice

May 26, 2014
Ljubljana, Slovenia
moving to bulgaria soon, to start a new business. just spent 3 weeks there to check the terrain, including local beers. craft not impressed. but they do have some decent old school proletarian stuff, like this one, zagorka retro:

Zagorka Retro | Zagorka Brewery / Pivovaren Zavod Zagorka

two solid crafts that i came across:

RateBeer

RateBeer

wine is very good. and rakia, god damn, maybe best ever.

riznat

Sponsor
Nov 19, 2005
Lake Tahoe
moving to bulgaria soon, to start a new business. just spent 3 weeks there to check the terrain, including local beers. craft not impressed. but they do have some decent old school proletarian stuff, like this one, zagorka retro:

Zagorka Retro | Zagorka Brewery / Pivovaren Zavod Zagorka

two solid crafts that i came across:

RateBeer

RateBeer

wine is very good. and rakia, god damn, maybe best ever.
What kind of business are you starting? Do you need any help? I’m ready for a change.

KingsRule

Jul 1, 2008
SoCal
was down in Buellton a couple weeks ago, and hit up the Firestone barrel works restaurant. They have a collab called mothers milk....holy crap, best beer ive had in a long time. Definitely better on tap than in a 11 dollar 12 ounce bottle I bought to take home with me

The German Grinder 9

Apr 6, 2019
Hello all ice hockey and especially Kings fans here!

At first a short introduction of myself: I'm from germany, over 30 years old, a hockey/NHL fan since the end of 1995, reading a lot of NHL articles on NHL.com at first plus the last 6 years a lot (and only) on this HF board and watching some live games via stream where NHL/LA players or prospects involved.

And all begun with the 96er NHL PC game from EA Sports and some episodes of NHL Powerweek on the local sports channel (DSF) and sub international news channel (NBC). I had no real special favorite team until the beginning of 2011/12 season respectively during and after the playing time of Super Mario & Jagr area i was favoriting the Pens a little bit and the Flyers (Legion of Doom hehe).

The switch from the PC to the console EA NHL version in the year 2011 was a absolute culture shock (especially the GM mode and managing of AHL/prospects + game/play feeling/optic ... it helped a lot to understand the whole francise thing, salary cap area, importance of developing players and make good trades/signings and so on) and reload my interests for the NHL, which was so so over the study and first work years.

Then at the start of the 2011/12 season there was a very rar live opportunity to see not only one but two NHL teams plus a regular season game in Berlin, Germany ... the Buffalo Sabres (team with german ice hockey idols Ehrhoff and Hecht) against the Los Angeles Kings. So, i take my chance and buy a ticket on Ebay. At game day i went from the train station to the stadium by foot 2 hours before the game start and there it happened: It came out of the nowhere ... some hundred meters away from the stadium a big bus parked on a empty street cross ... and 50 meters away from it ... i saw and realised what was in the bus - the whole LA Kings team and i stopped walking during identifying the single players and some of them looked at me too and say "hello" with there handy + laughing ... the rest is history ... they lost the game, but Drew was the most impressive thing on the ice because he skated like the wind ... since this day i fell "in love" with the Kings and evolved into a true/big fan over the rollercoster regular season 11/12 ... f.e. a few weeks later on christmas i brought some fan articles over Ebay and only play hobby GM in dynasty mode with the Kings until now (and for the rest of my life for sure *g*).

I watched at least every game summary if i didn't see the King game live per stream (biggest problem is the time difference, but sometimes ... *g*) that regular season which was amazing/thrilling ... and until the Carter trade i was thinking we didn't make the playoffs ... and then the run to the finals where we win it all 2012 ... it was so much fun and intensive ... WOW!

Okay, these are my 2 cents for the beginning ;D And to the current roster situation and possible good things to do later more in the right time from time to time as an "outside look / perspective" from a european fan.
I also plan at least one bigger holiday trip to LA in the next few years ... and hopefully there is a Hughes/Kakko or Podkolzin/Turcotte + Byram + Knight too in the lineup ... i know i know ... a pipe dream .. but maybe with some creative trade magic and the right trade partners in the fitting draft spot ... who knows ... if a Gretzky was traded nothing is really impossible ... ^^

Then, cheers to you all on a later saturday evening in good old germany with a bottle of Desperados beer with Mojito flavour ... very tasty :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad