OT: Beer Thread II

If anything beer country is San Diego, but there are a ton of breweries around your area too.

Check out Beach City I think is supposed to be good, check out Barley Forge and Good Beer Company to name a few...

https://www.google.com/maps/search/breweries/@33.7020097,-118.098748,10.75z

I was just using the term since a lot of the folks up there consider it beer country along with wine country.

Anyone ever go to Four Peaks in Arizona? I was out there about a month ago and they had some really good beer.

scryan

May 1, 2013
What I (re)learned this weekend:

105063.jpg

Swami's IPA
Good deal. OK, still expensive at like ~$14 per 6 pack... but it seems to be an easy one to find fresh, and it DOES come in 16oz cans so a 6 pack is more then your normal 6 pack. For delicious beers packed with tropical hoppy flavor, your gonna pay no matter what, this one is a deal.

blazing-world.jpg

I like blazing world.
Its just good. Wish it came in a 6 pack for not much more then it costs.

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site
Swami's is one of my favorite beers. Pizza Port is solid. Their Mongo is also Very good. $14 for a 6er of 16oz's seems high, until you go to a game and pay $12 for 1 beer. You can buy at Total wine for $12.50, which is a heck of a beer for a little more than 2 bucks per.

If you like that, try Kern River Citra DIPA. Solid!

ninjastache

Just a system Member
Mar 12, 2012
BBXXVII.jpg

Had the Black Butte 27th anniversary during Game 2. I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys porters. this one is aged in a Bourbon Barrel if i recalll correctly.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Hey Kings fans! Anyone been to the local Oktoberfests? Which ones are the best, or are they mostly just the same? I went to the Fairplex one last year and the options for different types of beers was really small. Are they all like this?

USE Fi

Sep 20, 2007
Home
Really recommend this beer if you have celiac disease, my brother has and this is only he can drink. link

print_zGvQ6ifh5i.jpg

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Been too long since the last post, and I'm imagining mass quantities of beer has been consumed by Kings fans over the past couple years.

Anyhow, anyone pick up Dogfish Head 120-Minute IPA? I had it years ago on tap, so I bought one to age for a few years. I've read that after a year it's like a barleywine, so I'm looking forward to that.

They're selling them for $10.99 per bottle at the Whole Foods near me in Valencia. I've also heard they get Pliny the Elder every Monday, so heads up for anyone looking for it.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
Been too long since the last post, and I'm imagining mass quantities of beer has been consumed by Kings fans over the past couple years.

Anyhow, anyone pick up Dogfish Head 120-Minute IPA? I had it years ago on tap, so I bought one to age for a few years. I've read that after a year it's like a barleywine, so I'm looking forward to that.

They're selling them for $10.99 per bottle at the Whole Foods near me in Valencia. I've also heard they get Pliny the Elder every Monday, so heads up for anyone looking for it.
I agree, this thread needs a little more activity.

I bought a 120 last winter and have been aging it since to open after I take the bar this summer. That'll be a nice little treat.

I also have some KBS aging from last year that I'm going to compare to the 2017 KBS here in a couple weeks to see what kind of differences there are.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I opened up a '16 bottle of KBS in January, and it was damn good, the coffee had definitely mellowed out.

Speaking of Founders, was not impressed with their Breakfast Stout, it just tastes like black coffee. Backwoods Basterd on the other hand might be my favorite beer of theirs.

I also picked up a bottle of Mikkeller's Breakfast Stout to enjoy with last night's playoff games, it's pretty average. Stouts with coffee can be hit or miss, especially if the coffee flavor is mostly all you get. My personal favorite is Epic Brewing's Big Bad Baptist and Big Bad Baptista. Have yet to try the Double Barrel Baptist, and it's on my wishlist.

And good luck with your bar exam!

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site
Pizza Port 11th Anniversary Ale is Excellent, strong at 10.5% but goes done smooth. Highly recommend.

Also, Beachwood Brewing has been making some amazing beers. Can't go wrong with any of them. Thrillseeker, Citraholic, Amalgamator and Udder Love are on point.

Kern River Brewing is also making deliciousness happen. River Buddy or Just Outstanding IPA are around town. Definitely recommend.

dman3474

Feb 21, 2009
L.A.

Pliny is usually gone by noon, they get blind pig in sometimes too.

Michaels liquor over by the old home depot and Sunrise over by CalArts have stepped up their games and get some good stuff in.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Thanks for the tips! I've had Blind Pig and Supplication and really enjoy them so I would be quite happy scoring any of those Russian River beers. I just wish they had wider distribution in SoCal.

riznat

Sponsor
Nov 19, 2005
Lake Tahoe
Dudes' blood orange is pretty good. Was drinking it most of last summer, happy to see it in stores again.

the-dudes-brewing-company-blood-orange-amber-ale-natural-e1438914872773.jpg

I like a lot of elysian's beers as well, avatar jasmine is at many super markets and very good IMO.
003.JPG

dman3474

Feb 21, 2009
L.A.
Is it going where Red Robin used to be? Either way, great to hear that Santa Clarita is getting another craft beer spot in addition to Pocock and Newhall Refinery.

Brookstone. Red robin is going to be a saddle ranch.

We are also getting a new brewpub on main st, he hopes to be open in July. I haven't tasted any of his beer yet

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00