Bedrooms in Olympic Village (cozy) (Read Mod Post #466)

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
cant find any english articles on this but the guy seriously stepped into an elevator shaft?!?!?! I cannot say I have much sympathy for him. I wonder why he could not tell the difference between an elevator shaft and an actually elevator car, so bizarre lol.

He wasn't expecting it to not be there and just casually walked in.

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
We're not saying that everything is perfect in Sochi, but some of the infos were exaggerated and some pictures were not even from Sochi. It's obvious the Western media went out of their way to discredit the Sochi organizers. Some courses are subpar and the unfinished hotels are unacceptable, but it is not a disaster as some media are saying. The athletes are raving about the facilities and their living conditions. Reading the Western media, it seems EVERYTHING is awful which is not true at all.

The reason for the noise they're making is obviously that with the amount of money spent on organizing these games, one would not have expected any of these things to have happened. They went in with much higher expectations.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
The reason for the noise they're making is obviously that with the amount of money spent on organizing these games, one would not have expected any of these things to have happened. They went in with much higher expectations.
It's not just because of the price tag. The fact that it's Russia plays a big role in the media's bias. The unfinished hotels is a major negative to the organizers, but I don't think it's fair to exaggerate the negatives either. The media is putting a negative spin on pretty much everything. The only time it's fair is when they interview the athletes. If it weren't for the athletes themselves, you'd think even the athletes village is a dump.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
It's not just because of the price tag. The fact that it's Russia plays a big role in the media's bias. The unfinished hotels is a major negative to the organizers, but I don't think it's fair to exaggerate the negatives either. The media is putting a negative spin on pretty much everything. The only time it's fair is when they interview the athletes. If it weren't for the athletes themselves, you'd think even the athletes village is a dump.

The stories in the Finish media have precisely stated and used the term "you would have expected a little better with 50 billion euros spent".

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
The stories in the Finish media have precisely stated and used the term "you would have expected a little better with 50 billion euros spent".

A lot of that money went towards infrastructure, like building highways to Sochi. In the United States, it cost us billions to build the interstates but when Atlanta or Salt Lake City hosts an Olympics we don't say add the billions in cost because the roads were already there. In Russia they had to build those roads, as well as a lot of the extra electricity supply systems and water treatment facilities and all that. They basically tried to create a modern city in a very condensed amount of time which ran up the costs and seems like an insane amount if you assume that this is just for holding athletic competitions.

There was definitely a lot lost to corruption and a lot of substandard work, but you can't ignore the extra infrastructure requirements that had to be paid for

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
A lot of that money went towards infrastructure, like building highways to Sochi. In the United States, it cost us billions to build the interstates but when Atlanta or Salt Lake City hosts an Olympics we don't say add the billions in cost because the roads were already there. In Russia they had to build those roads, as well as a lot of the extra electricity supply systems and water treatment facilities and all that. They basically tried to create a modern city in a very condensed amount of time which ran up the costs and seems like an insane amount if you assume that this is just for holding athletic competitions.

There was definitely a lot lost to corruption and a lot of substandard work, but you can't ignore the extra infrastructure requirements that had to be paid for

According to a Finn working in construction there, the split between corruption and building was 70/30 of the finances.

Hottubber

Feb 9, 2010
Does it say anywhere who is rooming together?

Just curious if guys from the same club team are rooming up or if they are re-kindling bromances from past.

I know good ping pong buddies from Vancouver Crosby & Weber are together ;)

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
lol he was probably texting or playing with a mobile device if his awareness was that low. glad he is ok but come on man.

I edited the original translation, I got the wrong impression from the story I linked, another paper had a more descriptive version. I'm refusing to admit I can't read Finnish anymore. :blush:

The elevator was there but not at the right level/position, hence the meter's drop.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Are you serious? Do you know how fast rally cars go? If they go off course, it's not just a little fender bender into a tree.

No, it's not, which is why they have things like roll cages, fire suits, multi-point harnesses... There is quite a lot of protection built into any race car these days.

Yamaguchi*

euros?? Finnish media, my a**.

Actually it was 51 billions US Dollars in total cost.

However, only $6.5 billion has been spent on the Games themselves.

The rest of the money has been spent on the Sochi infrastructural objects (railroads, power plants etc).

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
I edited the original translation, I got the wrong impression from the story I linked, another paper had a more descriptive version. I'm refusing to admit I can't read Finnish anymore. :blush:

The elevator was there but not at the right level/position, hence the meter's drop.

ok got ya! that makes a ton of more sense now! lol

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex

The rest of the money has been spent on the Sochi infrastructural objects (railroads, power plants etc).

That was something that was mentioned on the BBC. Only around $7m was spent on the actual games. Rest was getting people to and from places and then of course a bit of corruption etc.

Yeah15

2nd Tier Fan
Mar 15, 2007
Americans are so lucky to have those two, SportsCentre on TSN hasn't been the same since they left

Ewan McGregor*

original.gif

I'm sorry but who (outside of Russia) is actually buying these ******** excuses

Dynamo81

Mar 21, 2008
Aussie in Moscow
So the highways they built.. aren't actually there? Don't get me wrong a lot of the money did go to corruption, but modernizing a full city in a short timespan isn't cheap.
This. Having worked in Russia for years (Particularly on the transport problems in Moscow), what they did to modernize the city in this time span was highly ambitious and I was surprised they pulled it off. I don't know what is more stupid, people who believe all the money was spent on the Olympic venues or the people who actually believe at least a third of the money was lost through corruption. I see the corruption in these projects in Russia first hand and it makes my head shake that people believe 10's of billions of dollars were lost through corruption :laugh:

Anyway, the Road-rail connection to the ski resort, replacing the Soviet-era link cost around $5billion. Then you have the new airport, hospital, isolation hospital in Lazerevskiy district, Port Development, Adler Power Station etc etc The truth is that a large quality resort complex has been constructed, together with a great deal of infrastructure created or improved across Sochi.

The reporting on the spending has been stupid too, you have the media writing writing that a 48km road in Sochi cost 8 billion USD, when in reality the road included 50 bridges along with 27km worth of tunnels through the mountainous terrain (Very difficult projects).

Anyway, I'm off to Sochi to catch some Ice Hockey games soon. Looking forward to it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad