Bedrooms in Olympic Village (cozy) (Read Mod Post #466)

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
“It just goes to show you what media can do — it's the complete opposite of what I thought it'd be,†said Canadian defenceman P.K. Subban. “It's awesome. The rooms are awesome.â€

Well said Pernell. "Power without responsibility" as Simon Schama put it.

I actually posted a link a few days ago to a BBC article where the author basically admitted the western media was out to make Russia look bad, but for some reason the mods deleted it.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
You must not have watched that race. :facepalm:

Petra Majdic fell into a hole and onto rocks. It wasn't just a simple fall.

Right off the course. I guess I dont have sympathy; I race rally cars theres no nice barriers if you go off the road. She screwed up; I guess i dont see what the big deal is.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Dumping on the hosts is the international media's favourite sport. You would have sworn the British press were being help in prison labour camps during the Vancouver games.

Arash Madani (from Sportsnet) was on Prime Time Sports yesterday and said the complaints about the venues/accommodations were absolutely ridiculous. He couldn't say enough good things about the experience.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Well said Pernell. "Power without responsibility" as Simon Schama put it.

I actually posted a link a few days ago to a BBC article where the author basically admitted the western media was out to make Russia look bad, but for some reason the mods deleted it.

Subban is just being unpatriotic there by not supporting journalists from his own country. The very same journalists that always praise his game and personality!

:sarcasm:

Last edited:

Metalcommand

Mar 3, 2010
There is no standards in modern media. My appreciation for 95% of journalists is somewhere in the same ball-park as rabid dogs and child molesters :shakehead. Twitter is the worst thing to happen to humanity in the last 10 years.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
There is no standards in modern media. My appreciation for 95% of journalists is somewhere in the same ball-park as rabid dogs and child molesters :shakehead. Twitter is the worst thing to happen to humanity in the last 10 years.

I'd put it a close second behind the Kardashians. Both are connected though.

boris4c

Quid infantes sumus.
Dec 13, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
Right off the course. I guess I dont have sympathy; I race rally cars theres no nice barriers if you go off the road. She screwed up; I guess i dont see what the big deal is.
The big deal is that, unlike in rally racing, there are supposed to be barriers at dangerous places in cross country skiing so that incidents such as that one don't occur.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal

Hey, not fair, a rabid dog is suffering from a disease, not its fault!

But yeah, most journalists always have an agenda and it's a shame, really.

A journalist friend of mine told me it often comes from the bosses. Taking sides sells more copies, create the news and all.

It's like, you know you have to apply a reverse filter on whatever they write in order to guess how things were in reality.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
I'm surprised that there are people who still do it and saddened because there are a whole lot who don't even suggest doubting media even one bit :laugh:
I'm not surprised that some (many) still blindly believe the media because the mass doesn't really think too much beyond their daily life doesn't usually care about things beyond their knowledge. These Olympics are the rare occasions where people hear things from people all around the world and you get athletes the mass are familiar with who are contradicting the media. It's one of the few times people can actually say, wait a minute, the media says this, yet the athletes are saying something else. Usually you don't get to hear the other side.

Last edited:

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
Drone hovers over Sochi Olympics to shoot live TV

Volunteers used as seat fillers at Sochi Games

Arthur: We’re a little worried about you, Sochi

Russians and their vodka: A brief history

These are just some of the headlines written by the Canadian media. Almost every single one of them is negative about Russia and the Sochi Olympics. It's so obvious that they're not even trying to hide it. Sports journalists are a disgrace.

http://www.canada.com/olympics/category/sochi-guide

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Finland's ski jumping head coach had a close call on Tuesday at the Olympic village: http://www.iltalehti.fi/sotshi-2014/2014021218031974_sb.shtml

The elevator he had called for had stopped too soon for some reason and Niemelä casually stepped in and made a bad telemark landing on the floor of the elevator after a one meter drop. They reported the incident to the heads of the team and advised people to use stairs from now on.

Last edited:

Insomniac99

Oct 26, 2006
Orchard Park, NY
Finland's ski jumping head coach had a close call on Tuesday at the Olympic village: http://www.iltalehti.fi/sotshi-2014/2014021218031974_sb.shtml

The elevator he had called for had stopped at a floor below for some reason and Niemelä casually stepped in and made a bad telemark landing on the roof of the elevator after a one meter drop. They reported the incident to the heads of the team and advised people to use stairs from now on.

But but but...it must be made up! It's simply not possible that the buildings are sub-standard.

:shakehead

Yamaguchi*

The elevator he had called for had stopped at a floor below for some reason and Niemelä casually stepped in and made a bad telemark landing on the roof of the elevator after a one meter drop. They reported the incident to the heads of the team and advised people to use stairs from now on.

They should sue Otis.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow

Is is really the safer way?

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB

cant find any english articles on this but the guy seriously stepped into an elevator shaft?!?!?! I cannot say I have much sympathy for him. I wonder why he could not tell the difference between an elevator shaft and an actually elevator car, so bizarre lol.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
But but but...it must be made up! It's simply not possible that the buildings are sub-standard.

:shakehead
We're not saying that everything is perfect in Sochi, but some of the infos were exaggerated and some pictures were not even from Sochi. It's obvious the Western media went out of their way to discredit the Sochi organizers. Some courses are subpar and the unfinished hotels are unacceptable, but it is not a disaster as some media are saying. The athletes are raving about the facilities and their living conditions. Reading the Western media, it seems EVERYTHING is awful which is not true at all.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
Zdeno Chara's Bed:

BfzpMrgIIAEQAKk.jpg

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olymp...ed-a-special-extension--photos-210156323.html

Bf3rLBkIAAArMj6.jpg

Cuthalu

Jan 21, 2013
Winland
Things might not be in a completely objective perspective, but they're not that blown out of proportions. Athletes may have good accomodations, but many turists don't /didn't. By no means was this a surprise for anyone who has any clue what happens in Russia and in what state the Sochi area was before the Olympics started. All things considered, most things have gone almost surprisingly smoothly, except a few quality problems in race tracks.

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad