Bedrooms in Olympic Village (cozy) (Read Mod Post #466)

Kevin Malone

Jul 3, 2009
It's a middle class resort. The rich go to France or Miami etc. For middle class Russians they will go to Crimea or Sochi or if they have a bit of extra money Turkey or Egypt.

Sochi suffered a lot after the war in Abkhazia. Many refugees showed up and simply built houses for themselves whereever they could.

Montenegro seems to be the place for rich Russians. I was there a few years ago and couldn't believe how much real estate/development the Russians were involved with. A lot of oligarchs/organized crime in Russia are funneling money into Montenegro right now.

NewFang

Aug 4, 2008
Vancouver was one of the worst Olympics ever so don't feel so bad Sochi.

Technical failures during the ceremony, athletes dying, those ridiculous giant moose, Gretzky riding down the street in the back of a pickup with drunken people chasing him. I could go on.

janecky

Oct 8, 2005
Helsinki, Finland
imo it was too bad it didn't open bc it looked cool what they were tryign to do

I think it's fine even without opening. Everyone knows it was supposed to open, so I don't really see what the problem is. It's a cool glitch that adds personality to it. Nothing was lost.

The creative director of the opening ceremony put a great spin on it, "Zen Buddhists have this idea that when you have a perfectly polished sphere, you should leave a notch in it so you can understand just how perfectly it is polished. In technical terms the rings were the simplest thing in the whole show. They turned out to be our notch."

Starbuds

You like muscles?
Mar 28, 2010

Technical failures during the ceremony, athletes dying, those ridiculous giant moose, Gretzky riding down the street in the back of a pickup with drunken people chasing him. I could go on.

Please do. (Not being sarcastic)

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Tretiak speaks up.

It's very aggravating when buses are late, whereas here, everything's very well put together, and the athletes are satisfied.â€

If that sounded like a veiled shot at the 1996 Atlanta Olympics, where the tales of the bus-based dysfunction were accurate, Tretiak got even more explicit. He recalled where he stayed when he competed in the 1980 Lake Placid Olympics.

“We were accommodated in prisons in the United States,†Tretiak said, “staying in not the most favourable conditions.â€

Talk about putting a different spin on the Miracle on Ice. Not only is it true that the rooms in the athletes' village at the 1980 Lake Placid Olympics were immediately converted into prison cells. Tretiak might have added another fact mostly lost to history: While the cells were made to accommodate one prisoner apiece — they were, after all, 7 1/2 feet by 10 feet — athletes slept two to a unit. A prison designed to hold 500 inmates housed 1,800 Olympic athletes, coaches and officials. Not the most favourable, indeed.

Subban
“It just goes to show you what media can do — it's the complete opposite of what I thought it'd be,†said Canadian defenceman P.K. Subban. “It's awesome. The rooms are awesome.â€

JVR
“Our accommodations are great. The cafeteria's been great ... Walking around, seeing the other athletes, it almost gives you that college feel.â€

http://www.thestar.com/sports/sochi...ack_at_critics_of_sochi_olympics_feschuk.html

lawrence

May 19, 2012
there are some photos of Sochi/Sochi Hotels that I believe is fabricated by people who want to make Sochi / Russia look bad.

CBC is doing whatever it takes to make them look bad. In my mind I think that is not neccessary, and to just leave the Russians alone and hope for a good games. Yea, I know the Canadian and Russian government aren't friends but still.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC

And Sochi had no technical failure? I loved those giant moose, they made me chuckle in a positive way. You think the Sochi giant mascots are that much better? Gretzky riding down the street made it rather down to earth, I have no problem with that. Vancouver was not perfect, but from different accounts, it had the best atmosphere ever and the Russian organizers took note.

Jimmy Kimmel was making fun of Sochi again tonight. Some jokes were indeed funny, but I'm sure most of the pictures they showed were not from Sochi. Unfortunately the average audience will believe everything that is on TV.

bombers15

5-14-6-1
Mar 17, 2008
Tretiak speaks up.

Easy there, Vlad. In the '72 Summit Series the Soviets were up to all sorts of shenanigans, including playing loud music in the middle of the night in the Canadians' hotel.

But 1972 and 1980 were during the Cold War. Comparing today's Olympics with the atmosphere of 1980 just shows the stupidity in whatever Tretiak is trying to say.

Nov 1, 2011

Were you at the Olympics? Best party I've ever been to...and it lasted two weeks.

I'm sure most of those in Sochi are having a great time.

WeberStreit

Jan 31, 2008
Vancouver was great. Eyeryone praised it (at least the swiss media).
Russia isn't as bad as most guys write. But at least it's entertaining.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

This is completely beside the point. All the talk has been about the conditions of the media's hotels, not the athletes. For example, One of the biggest daily newspapers in Finland Turun Sanomat, have their sports editor at Sochi. He went 3 days without a shower and running water, his room didn't have any. Despite filing forms, getting promises of "it will be fixed today/tomorrow", they ended up tearing out the wall in the bathroom and realizing there wasn't going to be one. Finally he was at the media center discussing hte situation and talked to one of the officials who said something that made everyone else in the room laugh out loud. "You're a VIP, of course we'll get you new room". He finally got a new room with a working shower.

Jul 16, 2006
Vancouver was great. Eyeryone praised it (at least the swiss media).
Russia isn't as bad as most guys write. But at least it's entertaining.

The Vancouver games organization wasn't described fondly here in Slovenia. Most of it, because they failed to protect a 2m ditch on a fast curve and our cross-country skier fell in and broke her ribs. She still managed to win bronze, but if the organizers did their job, it was a possible gold.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
The Vancouver games organization wasn't described fondly here in Slovenia. Most of it, because they failed to protect a 2m ditch on a fast curve and our cross-country skier fell in and broke her ribs. She still managed to win bronze, but if the organizers did their job, it was a possible gold.

It's skiing, there are dangers. Don't fall and expect a gold medal. :shakehead

Jul 16, 2006
It's skiing, there are dangers. Don't fall and expect a gold medal. :shakehead

Its cross-country skiing and you are supposed to put fences on dangerous areas, not leave them unsecured. Besides, the fall happened during warmups and she won the bronze at the race later.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
For sure some things could have been better. It isn't perfect on the slopes in Sochi either. Snowboarders have been complaining that the half pipe ditch (not sure how it's called) isn't safe. A few skiers almost got injured at the alpine slopes because one section made them jump too high. One skier actually got injured at landing so the organizers had to modify the course a little bit. Things like these happens. The Olympics are a huge undertaking and sometime they overlook some areas. It shouldn't happen, but it does.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad