Bedrooms in Olympic Village (cozy) (Read Mod Post #466)

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
ku-xlarge.png

"Those tigers might be cute now, hockey players, but after a few days of laying in a tiny bed with nothing else but white walls to look at, you're going to start hearing them whisper things at you."

:laugh:

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
I remember Morozov complaining about the Olympic Village in 2010 (e.g., TVs on the floor and having to eat at McDonalds). You knew that the Russians would strike back when they hosted this year, and I imagine Team Canada's (and other hockey federations') staff was prepared for such accommodations.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Didn't Vancouver feature Spartan like quarters for every team as well? I remember that the mens team originally stayed in hotels before moving into the Olympic village after losing to the USA.

BluPuk*

I like the idea of 'spartan' accomodations for all athletes. Might light a fire under some of our more "coddled" hockey players. That might work in our favour.

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
i dunno about the vancouver olympic village but my sister now owns a townhouse/condo that was used for athletes in whistler.

the condo is nice and has separate bedrooms but the decorations back then were sparse, too.

and she doesn't know which athlete/athletes stayed in her place.

pretty cool tho.

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under
I'm still half expecting visting hockey countries rooms being equipped with clonking radiator pipes, hot water in showers lasting only a minute, unfinished parts of the village being worked on at night outside the windows, adult tapes obviously playing on the other side of insuffissiently padded walls, and of course room-service knocking at least once a night on doors of people that has'nt ordered anything.

Stjonnypopo

Rgesitreed Uesr
Jan 26, 2009
Mount Doom
i dunno about the vancouver olympic village but my sister now owns a townhouse/condo that was used for athletes in whistler.

the condo is nice and has separate bedrooms but the decorations back then were sparse, too.

and she doesn't know which athlete/athletes stayed in her place.

pretty cool tho.

Someone missed out on a marketing idea there...

Regarding the pictures though, I find it funny just thinking about the fact that there are going to be a bunch of NHL players making upwards up 5M per year bunking together in these little rooms with little single beds.

And another funny image is Chara sleeping on one of those beds. I'm 6'4" and I definietly could not fit, so imagine someone who's 6'9"!

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
Someone missed out on a marketing idea there...

Regarding the pictures though, I find it funny just thinking about the fact that there are going to be a bunch of NHL players making upwards up 5M per year bunking together in these little rooms with little single beds.

And another funny image is Chara sleeping on one of those beds. I'm 6'4" and I definietly could not fit, so imagine someone who's 6'9"!

i agree..but with the limited housing available in whistler they had no trouble selling the units.

i always hoped the athlete would have signed the wall or left some kind of momento for the new tenant, but nope. nothing.

BobDobolina

Jan 11, 2010
NYC
The amount of whining coming from journos is already hilarious. My favs are the pieces where these sports reporters get to play real journalists for a day and make bleeding heart stories about local poverty or something.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
Oh god this takes me back to last summer

"It's going to be like being in summer camp"

They have no idea do they :laugh: I've got some real estate to sell them. They had better hope it's more like North American summer camp, not Russian :laugh:

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
The amount of whining coming from journos is already hilarious. My favs are the pieces where these sports reporters get to play real journalists for a day and make bleeding heart stories about local poverty or something.

That's better than whining about rooms that millionaire hockey players won't even stay in.

EmeticDonut

Oct 7, 2006
Looks like pretty standard accommodations for the Olympics.
What's the point here?

Look at how weird those crazy Russians are?

I don't see what the big deal is. These millionaires live a coddled lifestyle anyways, so something simpler for two weeks won't kill them.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Look at how weird those crazy Russians are?

I don't see what the big deal is. These millionaires live a coddled lifestyle anyways, so something simpler for two weeks won't kill them.

agreed. every athlete should have the same accommodations regardless of how wealthy they are.

That being said there probably is available or should be available different sized beds for mammoth athletes such as Chara

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad