Bedard rookie season points

How many points will Bedard score in his rookie season?

• 0-20

Votes: 5 1.9%
  • 20-30

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 30-40

Votes: 5 1.9%
  • 40-50

Votes: 12 4.6%
  • 50-60

Votes: 45 17.2%
  • 60-70

Votes: 91 34.7%
  • 70+

Votes: 103 39.3%

• Total voters

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
40-50. I expect a more shooty version of Hughes progression in NJD.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
Better than I expected.
I chose 60-70 which is where he landed but I thought that would be over 82 games not 68 games.

With a full season it may have been 70+.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
He had no one to play with. If he had half decent linemates and was healthy, he would have come close to a 100.

That line mate argument does not apply for generational type talents. Look at Ovechkins rookie year and his line mates.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Figured he'd hit 70, and he probably would have if his jaw didn't run into some dude's shoulder.

Had hoped for PPG, but knew going into the season it'd be a challenge with this roster (which somehow got worse after some major injuries, including Hall's).

Pretty content with where he's gonna end up at the end of the season.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
That line mate argument does not apply for generational type talents. Look at Ovechkins rookie year and his line mates.
Chicago tore apart their roster then added Hall who only played 10 games...they only scored 174 goals in 80 which is 4 behind the Sharks who have only won 19 games so far and league scoring is higher. Ovechkin also came in a year later because of a lockout so he started older.

Last edited:
Reactions: Voight

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Yeah, but we knew that going in.
Not to the extent in which it ended up. Most expected him to play with Hall for half the season at least, but instead had Foligno (lol) by his side. Quite the downgrade, one was a pretty damn good piece for the Bruins last year (especially in the playoffs), the other was a borderline healthy scratch/4th liner.

I think that's probably overly optimistic. Kurashev has actually been pretty good this year. He's a skilled complimentary player.
He's been good, because of Bedard. He's not that skilled, and had a previous high of 25pts before playing with Bedard. Zero doubt in my mind that if he played with legit top 6 players all year, he has at least 20 more points.

TheGuiminator

I’ll be damned King, I’ll be damned
Oct 23, 2018
Back in October I said anything below point per game would be a disapointement for Bedard's rookie year

61 pts in 67 games is a great stat line for 99% of rookies, however it's quite disapointing for a player billed as a generationnal talent

Unless Bedard challenges for the Art Ross next year, he's no way near the level of Sid Crosby, let alone Connor McDavid.

As far as I'm concern, I'm disapointed by Bedard's rookie season and failed to meet my expectations

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Really good rookie year on a shit team. But I gotta laugh at all the people that were saying he was a better goal scorer than Matthews.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
I made two bets early in the season with friends.

I set and took the over of 20.5 goals and 60.5 points. Won them both even with the injury. (I told some that I would have bet my house on the goals over)

Was closer than it should have been.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
We underestimated the talent (or lack there of) in Chicago. Injuries on the team also didn't help an already depleted team.

He personally met my expectations. He was the only player, at 18, that could consistently generate offense on the roster.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Back in October I said anything below point per game would be a disapointement for Bedard's rookie year

61 pts in 67 games is a great stat line for 99% of rookies, however it's quite disapointing for a player billed as a generationnal talent

Unless Bedard challenges for the Art Ross next year, he's no way near the level of Sid Crosby, let alone Connor McDavid.

As far as I'm concern, I'm disapointed by Bedard's rookie season and failed to meet my expectations

Now that it has concluded, I’m mixed, though still leaning positive, particularly if he can come back and have a healthy sophomore season with a team that adds some much needed support.

This squad only managed 174 goals (I took away the one shootout goal they had). Since scoring across the league has hovered around 3 GPG or above (2017-2018), only three other teams total have scored fewer than 200 goals over a full 82 game season (again subtracting shootout goals): 2017-2018 Buffalo with 198, 2018-2019 Anaheim with 196, and this year’s Sharks with 179 pending their final game. Only the 2019-2020 Red Wings “paced” for a lower full season total.

Despite missing 15 games, Bedard still contributed to 35.1% of his team’s offense.

There’s zero doubt in my mind that the injury also disturbed the natural flow of his rookie season at such a young age. I think he performed admirably overall.

On the flip side, I am also slightly disappointed because he did have 9 goals and 13 points in his first 13 games. Even with the injury, it would have been difficult to imagine him potting just 13 more goals the rest of the way.

And since those two games where he piled up 3 goals and 8 points shortly after returning from that injury, he also had a disappointing close where he had just 2 goals and 10 points in his final 15 games of the season.

I think he puts up 100 in 2024-2025 if he plays 80 games and has any real improvement in support around here.

TheGuiminator

Oct 23, 2018
...who had Malkin and Draisaitl to play with.

Give me a break, Crosby was playing with Andy Hilbert & Colby Armstrong in his rookie year and put up 102 pts, while playing in the second worst team in the league. Malkin only debuted the year after.

McDavid's Oilers were also second last in his rookie year, yet he still managed to finish 3rd in ppg. Also, Draisaitl wasn't an elite player then.

There's absolutely no excuse. Generational players all starts with lottery teams and should be among elites from day 1 (see Crosby & McDavid), Bedard should be no different here.

Reactions: GoldenKnight

TheGuiminator

Oct 23, 2018
Now that it has concluded, I’m mixed, though still leaning positive, particularly if he can come back and have a healthy sophomore season with a team that adds some much needed support.

This squad only managed 174 goals (I took away the one shootout goal they had). Since scoring across the league has hovered around 3 GPG or above (2017-2018), only three other teams total have scored fewer than 200 goals over a full 82 game season (again subtracting shootout goals): 2017-2018 Buffalo with 198, 2018-2019 Anaheim with 196, and this year’s Sharks with 179 pending their final game. Only the 2019-2020 Red Wings “paced” for a lower full season total.

Despite missing 15 games, Bedard still contributed to 35.1% of his team’s offense.

There’s zero doubt in my mind that the injury also disturbed the natural flow of his rookie season at such a young age. I think he performed admirably overall.

On the flip side, I am also slightly disappointed because he did have 9 goals and 13 points in his first 13 games. Even with the injury, it would have been difficult to imagine him potting just 13 more goals the rest of the way.

And since those two games where he piled up 3 goals and 8 points shortly after returning from that injury, he also had a disappointing close where he had just 2 goals and 10 points in his final 15 games of the season.

I think he puts up 100 in 2024-2025 if he plays 80 games and has any real improvement in support around here.

McDavid also dealt with injury in his rookie year, wich also could've disturbed the natural flow of his season as you said. However, when he came back after missing 3 months, he heated up with 36 points in 32 games (in a much lower scoring environment).

With league scoring being through the roof these days, I was expecting Bedard to have a similar path as McDavid post injury, yet he only scored 28 pts in 28 games.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Give me a break, Crosby was playing with Andy Hilbert & Colby Armstrong in his rookie year and put up 102 pts, while playing in the second worst team in the league. Malkin only debuted the year after.

McDavid's Oilers were also second last in his rookie year, yet he still managed to finish 3rd in ppg. Also, Draisaitl wasn't an elite player then.

There's absolutely no excuse. Generational players all starts with lottery teams and should be among elites from day 1 (see Crosby & McDavid), Bedard should be no different here.
Good for Crosby on his rookie year, but your argument was about his Art Ross campaign when he did play with Malkin. Give Bedard at minimum Celebrini and see what he can do. With Nick Foligno and Philipp Kurashev it's apples and oranges.

That non-elite Draisaitl by the way was 4th All-Star RW behind only Kane, Kucherov, and Tarasenko, despite playing only a part of the season in that position.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
McDavid also dealt with injury in his rookie year, wich also could've disturbed the natural flow of his season as you said. However, when he came back after missing 3 months, he heated up with 36 points in 32 games (in a much lower scoring environment).

With league scoring being through the roof these days, I was expecting Bedard to have a similar path as McDavid post injury, yet he only scored 28 pts in 28 games.

In my eyes, that’s to be expected. McDavid is better than Bedard will ever be.

Reactions: WalterLundy

TheGuiminator

Oct 23, 2018
In my eyes, that’s to be expected. McDavid is better than Bedard will ever be.

You were predicting something like 50 goals and 110 points for Bedard's rookie season, that's pretty much McDavid's territory for a rookie season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad