Rumor: Beaulieu to be traded

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Hoping common sense prevails. There is no reason to protect Plekanec, Shaw and Benn/ Davidson.

However, an argument can be made that perhaps the GM loses face if he doesn't protect those hefty signing mistakes he made for himself, like Plekanec and Shaw.

Beaulieu clearly has more value than Benn. He's younger and his offensive output has been increasing. However, now is not the time to trade him. He'll have more value after the expansion draft as teams won't have to decide between him and someone else in order to make room on their roster. There is really no need to trade Beaulieu now.

The Habs have questionable protection list candidates with some assets that would be considered fringe on a lot of teams. They are one of the few teams with the least to lose. They can only make it worse on themselves by shortsighted decision-making.

I would not want to lose Beaulieu, Benn or Hudon.

It took us a long time to find a dman (Benn) to stabilize our bottom pair and someone who can jump into the top 4 if needed. Plus, Markov will be retiring soon and Emelin isn't really good enough to be in the top 4.

Beaulieu and Hudon are assets and could be valuable contributors in the future.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada

It took us a long time to find a dman (Benn) to stabilize our bottom pair and someone who can jump into the top 4 if needed. Plus, Markov will be retiring soon and Emelin isn't really good enough to be in the top 4.

Beaulieu is an indispensable part of this team's future right now.

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal

Hudon is an unproven player. 4 pts in 6 games at 22 years old. he did not burn the AHL. I doubt that LV would pick him.

Beaulieu is 24, with 5 seasons and 225 games (60pts). he has more value than Hudon IMO.

Benn is 29, with 6 seasons and 315 games (73 pts). You can find many replacement even if he was solid for us.

In value, Beaulieu comes first then Benn and finally Hudon

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
If DD can bring back a player, than Plekanec can too. He may not be worth much at 6 mill but retain 2 and he would look good to a few teams.

That. Bergevin managed to trade Desharnais.

At the deadline, Plekanec is worth a 2nd for a contender who's looking for depth. And he's worth even more if we retain salary. Plek @4M is a late 1st round pick, or a 2nd+.

Sending a 2nd to Vegas so they pick him (and do the aforementioned trade anyway) is nonsense. That would be like giving 2x2nd to Vegas. That would be wasting assets big time just to get cap space we don't really need for this year.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
The key, IMO, is not giving away picks so we can keep everyone we want.

The key will be when exactly Markov and Radulov sign. If they sign with us post exp. draft, we are more than OK as it means we could basically force Vegas to take one of Plek or Emelin.

And nevertheless, losing one of Beaulieu, Hudon or Benn isn't that much of a problem. It would suck, but not to the point of giving away multiple round picks just to keep them.

Think about it this way: if you give Plek and a 2nd so you can keep Beaulieu or Hudon, it's like trading a late 1st and a 2nd to acquire Beaulieu or Hudon. And no one would pay that kind of price.

This is a classic example of overrating some of our young-ish players all the while undervaluing a veteran.

Jul 6, 2016
I think Beaulieu stays now.

Why ?

Beaulieu is more than gone, gone, gone... He will be packaged to get a centerman.

Habs have lots of other options on D for next season. they still have Weber and Petry, + they will re-sign Markov + they might have Benn or-and Davidson... They have in the pipeline, Jerebek, Lernout, Juulsen, and they might go on the UFA market to get a guy like Alzner or Kulikov or ???...

I would not say no to a guy like Brodin, Dumba or Fowler.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Why ?

Beaulieu is more than gone, gone, gone... He will be packaged to get a centerman.

Habs have lots of other options on D for next season. they still have Weber and Petry, + they will re-sign Markov + they might have Benn or-and Davidson... They have in the pipeline, Jerebek, Lernout, Juulsen, and they might go on the UFA market to get a guy like Alzner or Kulikov or ???...

I would not say no to a guy like Brodin, Dumba or Fowler.

We have no puck moving dmen in the system younger than him. If we ship out Beaulieu we'll probably start putting literal pylons out there.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
We have no puck moving dmen in the system younger than him. If we ship out Beaulieu we'll probably start putting literal pylons out there.

When did Nate become a PMD? He can skate but thats about it, doesn't have a good first pass, not great in transition and doesn't see the ice well. He's basically Russ Courtnall, d man version.

Edited to add I think we should keep him as a bottom 6 but we need a true PMD, Nate is not it.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
When did Nate become a PMD? He can skate but thats about it, doesn't have a good first pass, not great in transition and doesn't see the ice well. He's basically Russ Courtnall, d man version.

Edited to add I think we should keep him as a bottom 6 but we need a true PMD, Nate is not it.

He needs to go, he was the main reason amongst our regulars that we bowed out in the first round. He is incredibly dumb and that has not changed since his junior days.

Jul 6, 2016
If Beaulieu could cut a bit on his off ice extra-curricular activities, he would be valuable. But the guy is still an immature kid.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
In all honesty I just like him because his skating is geat and I wished he'd be able to be better than Ron freakin Hainsey, but at this point he's just either not well used or he's just being a ******-bag and needs a couple bag of skates to wake up.

I don't mind if they trade him, but it better not be another trade to get rid of a problem type. We need to improve, not move sideways because of non-hockey related reasons.

TheBlindFan

Sep 7, 2008
When you get bench on the last game in the playoff by lesser talented players, It tell a lot on the overall player...

Talent is not everything, you need to bring it on the ice...

I will be trade.

nyhabsfan

Jun 23, 2005
Connecticut
I highly doubt they protect Emelin too. He is in the final year of his contract at 4+ million. I honestly think the Habs are wishing either Emelin or Pleks get taken.

Exactly... Pleky at $6 million and Emelin at $4.5 million, both for one more year.

Habs would LOVE to get rid of these two!:help:

Vegas please take one!:handclap:

dannyfinn22

Jun 10, 2017
Before trading Beaulieu you better look at this again average defense..Markov old as the hills, Weber another year in the books, who;s left, Petry and Emelin?? We may have added Drouin but there is a gapping hole on the blueline now.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Beaulieu stays. While I like Benn, Beaulieu simply has too much upside. Time for Clode to teach him

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada

Unless we make a move we can't really afford to lose his skillset. Somebody like Fowler would of course be nice but probably difficult to acquire.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site

Russ Courtnall could shoot.

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014

Geez, comments like these.:help:
Courtnall was part of one of the most one sided trades in history and he could streak and score from that right wing like crazy. He put up great offense and was an exciting player for years.
Courtnall had Byron/McDavid speed also. Overall, I don't get this comparison.
Age check on aisle 3...

Last edited:

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Nate has a problem between the ears. He has all the skill, but no drive to get better at his deficiencies.

I don't think it's a lack of drive, it's just slow decision making and I don't think it's going to get much faster with experience. Peoples' brains have limits, and he's hit his of where his hockey IQ can take him. Even on the PP he is slow. The contrast between him and a high level offensive D-man like Markov is very easy to observe, Markov makes decisions twice as fast as Beaulieu. NHL hockey is so fast you really need that kind of of extra brain processing power to be making creative offensive setups, you need to very quickly recognize openings and move the puck through them or they close. Most players just do not have that, and that includes Beaulieu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad