Rumor: Beaulieu to be traded

Status
Not open for further replies.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Would not at all be surprised if Vegas were to take Emelin.

People criticize him but he is an impact hitter who I am sure opposing players take notice of on the ice lest they end up on the highlight reel flying head over skates after an Emelin hip check. This means he affects the play in our favour.

Anyway, my point is I could see Vegas wanting a guy on their team that intimidates opposing players with his physical play, which also by the way is exciting to watch. i know in Habs land we eschew exciting hockey plays as we prefer dull and gray non individualistic stuff, but I figure Vegas wants excitement.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006

People criticize him but he is an impact hitter who I am sure opposing players take notice of on the ice lest they end up on the highlight reel flying head over skates after an Emelin hip check. This means he affects the play in our favour.

Anyway, my point is I could see Vegas wanting a guy on their team that intimidates opposing players with his physical play, which also by the way is exciting to watch. i know in Habs land we eschew exciting hockey plays as we prefer dull and gray non individualistic stuff, but I figure Vegas wants excitement.

Agree on Emelin. Benn is a good bottom pairing but Emelin is a top 4 on most teams and Beau hasn't proven anything at this level yet.

It would be interesting to see the list of all the D that will be available when it comes out. LV could have a pretty decent team given all the names of players who may be left unprotected.

Makaveli XI

Aug 23, 2015
If Bergevin is able to trade for a number one Center...Does a trade like Beaulieu for Yakupov make any sense?

Pacioretty Duchene Radulov
Lehkonen Plekanec Gallagher
Yakupov Danault Shaw

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
If Bergevin is able to trade for a number one Center...Does a trade like Beaulieu for Yakupov make any sense?

Yakupov Danault Shaw

I think we can have Yak for pretty much nothing. Not sure about Beaulieu's value but I'm pretty sure he is worth more than Yakupov.

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram

Yakupov Danault Shaw

Yakubust was traded for a 3rd round pick last time , has been a healthy scratch almost half season in STL , has a whooping 9pts in 40 games in 2016-2017 and won't be protected in the expension draft. The guy has zero value at this point.

Beaulieu has much more value than him and i would never do that deal in 100 years. Won't be surprised if Vegas doesn't even pick him and he find himself on waivers right after that or bolt to the KHL.

Unless a major plot twist happen the guy career in the NHL is pretty much done. Has has some tools but no toolbox...or hell even a lunchbox.

People complain about Galchenyuk but Chucky has been better than both Yakubust and Murray byu quite a notch.

Makaveli XI

Aug 23, 2015
Yakubust was traded for a 3rd round pick last time , has been a healthy scratch almost half season in STL , has a whooping 9pts in 40 games in 2016-2017 and won't be protected in the expension draft. The guy has zero value at this point.

Beaulieu has much more value than him and i would never do that deal in 100 years. Won't be surprised if Vegas doesn't even pick him and he find himself on waivers right after that or bolt to the KHL.

Unless a major plot twist happen the guy career in the NHL is pretty much done. Has has some tools but no toolbox...or hell even a lunchbox.

People complain about Galchenyuk but Chucky has been better than both Yakubust and Murray byu quite a notch.

I didn't mean straight up but I see what you're getting at. I still think he makes an impact in the NHL as a middle 6 guy, if he's put in the right scenario.
In my opinion, Beaulieu doesn't have much value either. He was a healthy scratch in our most important game of the year. I read an article that was giving examples of players in a similar situation as Beaulieu in terms of age and production...a second or third round pick with a mediocre prospect was the return for these guys.

Kafka

Mar 1, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
@all

McPhee won't draft most of his players according to what they could bring to his team this year on the ice. Most of the players will be drafted according to their overall value, allow him to trade the best assets for draft pics.

Chicago, Pittsburg, Edmonton and Toronto achieved what they did because of luck and a few good pics at the draft. I'm sure he'll try to follow the same strategy.

get25

Oct 17, 2015
If we trade Beaulieu, we better get something good.
Consider he had 28 points and a pace of 31 points.

Among the 60 d-men with 28 points, 14 were younger than Beaulieu.
There are only 60 d-men with 28 points BTW.
2 of these 14 have lower ppg than him.

At least 10 of the of the remaining 12 had significant more PP TOI than Beaulieu (most likely all of them).

Note than the two oldest ones are Markov (36 points in 62 games) and Chara (29 points in 75 games - pace of 31 points (same as Beaulieu)).

Markov was injured from Dec 17th till Jan 30th.
During that time, Beaulieu scored 1G-11A in 19GP: pace of 52 points.:amazed:
Am I the only one who think that Beaulieu getting 40 points is realist?
That being third d-men on PP behind Markov and Weber prevents him to get to 40+ points?

Among the 23 d-men with 40+ points last year, only 4 in the league were younger than Beaulieu: Werenski (8th OA), Jones (4th OA), Risto (8th OA) and Hamilton (9th OA).
I read many times that Risto and Hamilton are bad in defense.
Also read the same about Schultz.
Are they really much better than in defense (actually Hamilton improved this year and Risto also) than Beaulieu?

D-men reach their peak at 26. Those who do it before are the exception.

Many were thinking Schultz was bad in defense for many years.
What are you thinking now that he has 51 points in regular season, 13 PO points and

Petry had his career year at 29 with 28 points.
Demers had 28 points this season at 29 and only broke the 28 point mark once.

One last point: I think that Beaulieu (+8) has improved his defense. He still has problems but so does Emelin (+1) and Petry (+3).
Emelin came in the league at 25 years old, score 7 points and his best season was 17 points at 27 years old.
I know Emelin hits hard but between a PMD at 40-50 points and Emelin the choice is clear.

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
@all

McPhee won't draft most of his players according to what they could bring to his team this year on the ice. Most of the players will be drafted according to their overall value, allow him to trade the best assets for draft pics.

Chicago, Pittsburg, Edmonton and Toronto achieved what they did because of luck and a few good pics at the draft. I'm sure he'll try to follow the same strategy.

McPhee has also said he wants his team to be competitive from the start. A winning team can draw fans in which is what they need to build in their first season.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
I read somewhere Beaulieu and a 2nd to Las Vegas and have them pick Plekanec?!

That's just crazy!

I would rather have Plekanec next season and not make that trade.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

That's just crazy!

That's unnecessary overpayment, especially from a team like the Habs whose protection list will contain some of the weakest players when compared to most other teams.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Beaulieu is just as good a dman as Petry is in my books, very fine for a #4. Problem is we already have Petry on the 2nd pairing, 2 risky guys together is a tough sell.

And he didn't seem to have good chemistry with Weber...

I'd keep him, but the Habs have to realize he's just not going to be a reliable #2 anytime soon and find someone to play with Weber.

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007
Beaulieu likes to party too much to the liking of the Habs brass so he will get traded out. Same thing with Galchenyuk but he may stay a little bit longer to get his value up a little more.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Habs have a puritan tradition that requires cleansing through the untimely dispatching of scapegoats, which more often than not results in regret-trades.

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral

Yakupov Danault Shaw

I don't think Duchene is the solution but regardless, Plekanec should not be the 2C. He's done offensively

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Am I the only one who thinks Beaulieu is not very good? He's a low tier #4 imo, an average #4 on good nights. He's replaceable.

get25

Oct 17, 2015
Agree on Emelin. Benn is a good bottom pairing but Emelin is a top 4 on most teams and Beau hasn't proven anything at this level yet.

It would be interesting to see the list of all the D that will be available when it comes out. LV could have a pretty decent team given all the names of players who may be left unprotected.
Except getting 1G-11A in 19GP when Markov was injured.

I know he has problems in defense but a pace of 52 points is still really good.
Markov had a pace of 48 points.

Just saying.

Emelin best were 17 and 13 points seasons. He had 10 points playing with Weber.
Been is scoring at about the same pace (a bit better).

With Emelin and Benn, you know what you have.

With Beaulieu, it can still improve.
Emelin came in NHL at 25 and Benn first full season in NHL was at 26.

In two or three years we will regret Beaulieu if we let him go.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
Beaulieu is just as good a dman as Petry is in my books, very fine for a #4. Problem is we already have Petry on the 2nd pairing, 2 risky guys together is a tough sell.

And he didn't seem to have good chemistry with Weber...

I'd keep him, but the Habs have to realize he's just not going to be a reliable #2 anytime soon and find someone to play with Weber.

This team's needs are not going to be filled in one summer unfortunately. You dont get two #2C and a number 2 dmen without making serious holes in your lineup.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada

That's just crazy!

No kidding, I'm ok with giving Vegas something to take Pleks but we shouldn't need to be offloading a guy like Beaulieu to do it. That would be ridiculous.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal

That's just crazy!

This is nonsense. Look at the history of past expansion drafts. None of that ever happened. No team will ever give away picks and players like that just to get rid of semi-bad contracts. We'd be better off running out Plekanec's contract or buying him out if we really need the cap space.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa

That's just crazy!

It was fake. Some posters like citing nonexistent sources when posting stuff here and make us clean it up.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

I agree. Emelin is also a solid pker. His physicality would be welcomed in the west as Edmonton, San Jose, L.A & Anaheim are all big, physical teams.

LV also needs to reach the cap minimum so they need to take a few players with more expensive contracts.

As well, Emelin has only one year left on his contract & he could be someone that they could flip for draft picks at the trade deadline.

We'll see, but it's not beyond the realm of possibilities for sure.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
This is nonsense. Look at the history of past expansion drafts. None of that ever happened. No team will ever give away picks and players like that just to get rid of semi-bad contracts. We'd be better off running out Plekanec's contract or buying him out if we really need the cap space.

To be fair none of the previous expansion drafts were done under a salary cap.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Don't see the desperate need to get rid of Plekanec, use him as an overpaid 3rd line center...and it's not like we have an abundance of centers lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad