Rumor: Beaulieu to be traded

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Beaulieu = Hainsey. He'll carve himself a nice long career but will never be anything special

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
What team has an extra spot on D that they can protect him? Or is it the case where some teams will pick him up knowing they will lose a good D but they still have other D available too fill in? A guy like Beaulieu has size, toughness, skating, and is still young. Teams would be interested for sure but depends on price.

Habs either lose Pleky or Hudon as forwards or Beaulieu, Benn, Davidson, Emelin as D.

Personally, I keep Beaulieu unless we can package him with another prospect and picks and acquire some offense or a piece we can use in another trade to acquire a top 6 center.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
Philadelphia has a spot open for a 3rd dman. He could only be in Orange for a week but its a possibility. Very low return though. Part A of Mtl's Party boys duo will love Vegas.

hersky77

Oct 29, 2007
Nate has a problem between the ears. He has all the skill, but no drive to get better at his deficiencies.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
Will be interesting to see how he does with a new team. If he goes to a competent staff that can channel his talent, he'll be boss. If he doesn't then he won't be in the league much longer.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Will be interesting to see how he does with a new team. If he goes to a competent staff that can channel his talent, he'll be boss. If he doesn't then he won't be in the league much longer.

I think a trade would be a wake up call for him. He's got talent. I think he needs a bit more urgency to develop further. Hence the reason why Julien was hard on him at the end of the year.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
It would be nice to trade him for another younger D man who hasn't lived up to expectations where a new team might be the kick in the butt he needs. Anyone around like that, lol?

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Beaulieu = Hainsey. He'll carve himself a nice long career but will never be anything special

Which is fine. A team is not made of 20 Crosby or McJesus. You got to have those depth guys. And it's best when you develop them cause they identify themselves to your team. Having mercenaries depth guys signed UFA is bad. Most often than not those vets don't care about your team much. They are here for the money and are not willing to pay the price anymore.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Saw something on Twitter yesterday. Beaulieu + AG for Stefan and Nash.
Sounds like a Bergevin type of deal :facepalm:

Did the salary cap disappear?

Lots of teams will want a young mobile defender. Just need to find a team that has a spot to protect him.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
What team has an extra spot on D that they can protect him? Or is it the case where some teams will pick him up knowing they will lose a good D but they still have other D available too fill in? A guy like Beaulieu has size, toughness, skating, and is still young. Teams would be interested for sure but depends on price.

Habs either lose Pleky or Hudon as forwards or Beaulieu, Benn, Davidson, Emelin as D.

Personally, I keep Beaulieu unless we can package him with another prospect and picks and acquire some offense or a piece we can use in another trade to acquire a top 6 center.

Who knows, but if the acquiring team will not protect him, we can't expect much of a return.

Maybe we trade him to Vegas.

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
Honestly i don't expect more than a 2nd or 3rd round pick at this point. Perhaps the Habs have no intention of protecting hjm and already know that Vegas will pick him so they just try to get something of value instead of losing him for nothing ?

Ideally i'd try to include him in a package for an etablished player but with the expansion draft looming the timing for that may not be the best.

And i agree with the Hainsey comparison. I think it's spot on.

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009

I could see him going to a team that is set to lose a decent player already and Beaulieu would likely escape selection unprotected.

Minnesota immediately comes to mind. The Islanders would also be a possibility.

Ryan Strome for Beaulieu makes a lot of sense to me. Both guys have had good and bad moments. Both have struggled to move up the depth chart. Both could probably use a change of scenery.

Or Maybe Packaged with a couple of picks for Eriksson Ek from Minnesota? They've Hemorrhaged picks over the last 2 years and with us holding 5 picks in the first 2 rounds over the next 2 years, we can afford to move some.

void

Jan 5, 2006
I feel like the Habs are trading from a position of weakness when it comes to Beaulieu and Galchenyuk. Their value isn't the greatest right now and the Habs are the ones who are trying to move them. I'm not expecting great returns for either of them unless they're packaged into a much bigger deal.

Last edited:

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I don't think he's traded for picks. It doesn't make sense. A playoff team trading a regular player that doesn't make much money for a draft pick is counterintuitive. He'll be traded for a forward that needs a change of scenery.

Don't be surprised if it's Henrique from NJ. A centre that is redundant on their team. They need defencemen badly.

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
Saw something on Twitter yesterday. Beaulieu + AG for Stefan and Nash.
Sounds like a Bergevin type of deal :facepalm:

That's 14m coming back the Habs way. Unless MB has another trade to free cap space this is , fortunately , never going to happen.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I feel like the Habs are trading from a position when it comes to Beaulieu and Galchenyuk. Their value isn't the greatest right now and the Habs are the ones who are trying to move them. I'm not expecting great returns for either of them unless they're packaged into a much bigger deal.

Return wont be good. Beaulieu i don't expect more than a 3rd round pick wit the xpac draft incoming.

AG we wont have much. We will certainly not have the value you should expect for a 3rd overall pick who scored 30 goals 2 years ago and was on pace for a 60 points season last year. We purposely destroyed his reputation last year in playoffs. And reputation is everything in this league.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Beaulieu and 25th overall for Drouin. :sarcasm:

But seriously, he'll be traded for a bottom 6 forward and HF Habs will collectively lose its ****.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
I don't think he's traded for picks. It doesn't make sense. A playoff team trading a regular player that doesn't make much money for a draft pick is counterintuitive. He'll be traded for a forward that needs a change of scenery.

Don't be surprised if it's Henrique from NJ. A centre that is redundant on their team. They need defencemen badly.

someone else was saying Tyler Johnson could be had from Tampa as well

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

Maybe in the head of this management we absolutely must protect Benn. Doesn't make any sense as Benn is not the type of players LV will aim at but with this management everything is possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad