Rumor: Beaulieu to be traded

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Don't see the desperate need to get rid of Plekanec, use him as an overpaid 3rd line center...and it's not like we have an abundance of centers lol

mb made our window 1 to 3 years when he made the subban weber swap. need to go all out in those years. cant waste 6 mil on a third line c

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
mb made our window 1 to 3 years when he made the subban weber swap. need to go all out in those years. cant waste 6 mil on a third line c

They already have a third line C in Danault, who can do everything Plekanec can, for much less.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Honestly, i wonder if he even has any value.

If you look at his numbers on paper you'd assume he was a valuable asset.. until you actually watch him play and see how bad he is defensively. Maybe we can trade him to a western conference team who hasn't seen him play much? :laugh:

get25

Oct 17, 2015
I agree. Emelin is also a solid pker. His physicality would be welcomed in the west as Edmonton, San Jose, L.A & Anaheim are all big, physical teams.

LV also needs to reach the cap minimum so they need to take a few players with more expensive contracts.

As well, Emelin has only one year left on his contract & he could be someone that they could flip for draft picks at the trade deadline.

We'll see, but it's not beyond the realm of possibilities for sure.
For 1.1M, on the PK, I prefer Benn.
Benn has also a bit more offense.

Beaulieu giving us 28 points for 1M is a pretty good deal also.

Two years ago NB played 14 seconds SH TOI/GP.
Last year was 30 seconds.
This year was 58 seconds.
Coaches are giving him more SH TOI.
Not very far from Petry (1:49), Benn (1:48) and Markov (1:43).
I could see Beaulieu getting in that list but Benn is better on PK.

I guess you could say I prefer Benn + Beaulieu at 2.1M to Emelin at 4.1M.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Nate has a problem between the ears. He has all the skill, but no drive to get better at his deficiencies.

I think he has the drive. He's a proud person. I think his problem is either a) lack of hockey sense that will never improve, or b) he thinks he's better than he is -- or at least he thought he was. After being benched in the regular season and then in the playoffs, I think he might finally realize that he's got to get better at the finer points of the defense position if he's going to be a top 4. It's not just about the offensive numbers he keeps pointing out he's improving on.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013

What would you give Vegas to take the Plekanec contract, a 3rd, a 2nd? This would kill two birds with one stone - get rid of Plekanec's contract and ensure that both Benn and Beaulieu are not taken.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
What would you give Vegas to take the Plekanec contract, a 3rd, a 2nd? This would kill two birds with one stone - get rid of Plekanec's contract and ensure that both Benn and Beaulieu are not taken.

What is it with this nonsense? We're not giving away a 2nd just so that Vegas takes Plekanec. Heck, we could trade Plekanec for a 2nd.

ColinO

Jul 24, 2015
What is it with this nonsense? We're not giving away a 2nd just so that Vegas takes Plekanec. Heck, we could trade Plekanec for a 2nd.

Right. Retain $2 mill and you could get more than that. Plek is a useful player - just not at $6 mill.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

Well...you could give a 2nd with Plekanec, just a 2nd that was picked already....just give them Fucale or DLR for future considerations...and make them pick Plekanec.

malton

Feb 17, 2009
Well...you could give a 2nd with Plekanec, just a 2nd that was picked already....just give them Fucale or DLR for future considerations...and make them pick Plekanec.

I think DLR can be an extremely useful NHL player. Wouldn't want to ship him out for nothing.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I hope we trade Beaulieu for something and then protect Davidson. I think this is the guy Vegas takes.

Not sure what we will get for Beaulieu but acquire a former 1st round pick who has upside but has also disappointed like Beaulieu. Preferably a prospect who is exempt from the expansion draft and to a team that has room to protect Beaulieu or knows they are already losing a quality D and Beaulieu replaces the guy they lose

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal

Or... we could expose Plekanec and he gets taken. If not, we can still trade him at the deadline and get full value on him.

I don't understand why people are freaking out about that expansion draft. We can protect 7F, 3D and Price. That's way enough to keep all of our useful players.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
Or... we could expose Plekanec and he gets taken. If not, we can still trade him at the deadline and get full value on him.

I don't understand why people are freaking out about that expansion draft. We can protect 7F, 3D and Price. That's way enough to keep all of our useful players.

Freaking out because of the GM who is in charge of the player personnel.

Not sure why but I get a bad feeling he will leave players like DLR, Hudon and Beaulieu exposed and choose to protect Plekanec, Shaw and Benn/Davidson.

I can be completely wrong, and that's the double edge sword bestowed on MB, he done enough wrong with this organization that I trust nothing that he does anymore.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal

Not sure why but I get a bad feeling he will leave players like DLR, Hudon and Beaulieu exposed and choose to protect Plekanec, Shaw and Benn/Davidson.

I can be completely wrong, and that's the double edge sword bestowed on MB, he done enough wrong with this organization that I trust nothing that he does anymore.

Of course, that's all valid points. I could see Bergevin protecting Plekanec and Shaw.

But then again, the point still stands: 7F and 3D is plenty of spots to protect anything of value that we have. Thus, I have a hard time seeing Bergevin giving away a 2nd just to get rid of a contract.

CrAzYNiNe

Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
Of course, that's all valid points. I could see Bergevin protecting Plekanec and Shaw.

But then again, the point still stands: 7F and 3D is plenty of spots to protect anything of value that we have. Thus, I have a hard time seeing Bergevin giving away a 2nd just to get rid of a contract.

Agreed, Plekanec and Emelin do not put the Habs in that bad of a situation to warrant such option. With 1 year left on each deal, they should not be that hard to trade depending on the Habs injury situation or a team needing a player to fill a hole. They can even stay the year and be lost for nothing, which I think is a terrible business decision. I believe re-signing Plekanec would be a huge mistake as Danault is more than capable 3rd line center, with potential to have 2-3 years producing offensively like a 2nd line center. Plekanec will only keep young players from having a chance to play for the Habs. It's paramount that this franchise moves forward and not back. Identify the core pieces and move forward with them. Unfortunately the core has barely changed in 5 years with only swapping Danault in for Plekanec and Weber for Subban. Not much growth.

CrAzYNiNe

Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
Saving 6 million cap-hit isn't nothing.

Saving 6M on the cap is in fact useless. The Habs are not cash strapped to the point of needing to save any money. But I know this wasn't your point.

Freeing up 6M does what if you don't replace that player with one more useful? Plekanec, albeit on his way out, can still have a role on the 17-18 Habs given injuries happen. Knowing injuries happen, the Habs may be able to strike a deal with a team that has an injury to a center and requires a replacement. So instead of uselessly tossing a 2nd away, maybe receive one in return.

With that said, if MB makes moves where Plekanecs is expandable, and they exceed the 22.5M for 7 players to complete a 23 man roster, I can't see how 30 NHL teams wouldn't take him for "future considerations" at the very worst.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Still a serviceable player on the last year of his deal. Should be able to move him without giving up assets.

Agreed. GM's in the league recognize he would have value with one year left and would very much interested in Pleky at the deadline. Only some Habs fans devalue their own players to crazy levels when we don't win cups.

CrAzYNiNe

Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
Agreed. GM's in the league recognize he would have value with one year left and would very much interested in Pleky at the deadline. Only some Habs fans devalue their own players to crazy levels when we don't win cups.

Plekanec has done a good enough job on his own to devalue himself with his play over the last 100 games. 12G, 38P is very bad for a player making $6M

To put it into perspective, Plekanecs had the same amount of points as Beaulieu and Lehkonen. He was ranked about 200th in the league in points for a forward, while having 28th highest salary among forwards and 35th for cap hit.

Plekanec is grossly overpaid for what he brings. At 35 years old in October, he is getting closer to the end of his career.

We cannot lose Beaulieu to the expansion draft (he should be protected ahead of Benn or Davidson), even it means trading a 2nd to LV to take Plekanec. Also if MB makes another hasty move to trade Beaulieu... :banghead::madfire::scared::pullhair:

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl

Why would anyone be interested in Plekanec at the deadline? Buyers at the deadline are looking for players to make a strong push in the playoffs, they certainly won't be looking at the prototypical forward who disappears at that time of the year. If anything, teams would be interested in his regular season play, thus if he generates any interest at all, it should be this off-season.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Hoping common sense prevails. There is no reason to protect Plekanec, Shaw and Benn/ Davidson.

However, an argument can be made that perhaps the GM loses face if he doesn't protect those hefty signing mistakes he made for himself, like Plekanec and Shaw.

Beaulieu clearly has more value than Benn. He's younger and his offensive output has been increasing. However, now is not the time to trade him. He'll have more value after the expansion draft as teams won't have to decide between him and someone else in order to make room on their roster. There is really no need to trade Beaulieu now.

The Habs have questionable protection list candidates with some assets that would be considered fringe on a lot of teams. They are one of the few teams with the least to lose. They can only make it worse on themselves by shortsighted decision-making.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad