Music: Beatles Survey- Favorite and Least Favorite Song from Each Album

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Well, most of that album is pretty overrated ("Octopus Garden," "Something," "You Never Give Me My Money," etc. are all pretty mediocre). The only real masterpieces IMO are "Come Together," "MSH" (has the bite that one normally does not associate with the Beatles), "Golden Slumbers," and "Carry That Weight."

Although, TBH, The Beatles don't have too many albums that are consistent throughout, without any clankers. Their best are as good as they get, but their bad are just... bad. Their most consistent albums, for my money, are "Help" and "Revolver." The latter is one of the best albums ever made.

What are your thoughts on Here comes the sun?

Reactions: Sentinel

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
I don't care if you like MSH or not but to say that Something sucks , a song Frank Sinatra called one of the best love songs, makes your opinion questionable.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I don't care if you like MSH or not but to say that Something sucks , a song Frank Sinatra called one of the best love songs, makes your opinion questionable.

not to mention saying here comes the sun is nothing special.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I remember reading that George Martin and the rest of the Beatles were floored when George first played Something. They knew he was a decent song writer but none of them expected him to bring a song at that level. George Martin said that he had no idea George H even had it in him and there was just shocked silence from everyone when he first played it. John called it easily the best song on the album and I have to agree.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
I remember reading that George Martin and the rest of the Beatles were floored when George first played Something. They knew he was a decent song writer but none of them expected him to bring a song at that level. George Martin said that he had no idea George H even had it in him and there was just shocked silence from everyone when he first played it. John called it easily the best song on the album and I have to agree.
Here you go:
John Lennon and Paul McCartney both rated the song highly. Lennon said, “I think that’s about the best track on the album, actually,”

And Paul:
I thought it was George’s greatest track – with ‘Here Comes The Sun’ and ‘While My Guitar Gently Weeps’. They were possibly his best three. Until then he had only done one or two songs per album. I don’t think he thought of himself very much as a songwriter, and John and I obviously would dominate – again, not really meaning to, but we were ‘Lennon and McCartney’. So when an album comes up, Lennon and McCartney go and write some stuff – and maybe it wasn’t easy for him to get into that wedge. But he finally came up with ‘Something’ and a couple of other songs that were great, and I think everyone was very pleased for him. There was no jealousy. In fact, I think Frank Sinatra used to introduce ‘Something’ as his favourite Lennon/McCartney song. Thanks Frank.

Source: https://www.beatlesbible.com/songs/something/

It's actually my third favorite Beatles song by George (forgot about While My Guitar there for a second). But it's still top-10 in my book.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
This thread made me wanna go back to "Something" and relisten to it (last time I've heard it was like ten years ago). Yup, it's as boring as I remember it to be (save for that little "I don't know" bit in the middle). In fact, it's such a great relief when that song ends and "Maxwell" begins! Friggin' love it!

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Taxman is a pretty good one too.
Yeah I like that one too. For me my top 5 George songs from the Beatles are:
1. While My Guitar Gently Weeps
2. Something
3. Here Comes the Sun
4. Edit: If I Needed Someone
5. Within You Without You

Last edited:

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Love You To is very underrated, IMO.

Blows out most Beatles songs, including Lennon's. In fact, outside of Tommorow Never Knows and She Said, She Said, it's probably the best. Revolver is so far ahead of everything else they've done, IMO. The sitar elevated their work to great heights.

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Blows out most Beatles songs, including Lennon's. In fact, outside of Tommorow Never Knows and She Said, She Said, it's probably the best. Revolver is so far ahead of everything else they've done, IMO. The sitar elevated their work to great heights.
I prefer I'm Only Sleeping as well over Love You To, but other than that, yeah.

I'm actually a little disappointed that the Western/Indian mix never really went anywhere fully realized (at least not in non-gimmicky full album form). I've been listening to Wonderwall Music recently (since a few posters have been gushing about it), and it's a really really cool mix.

Last edited:
Reactions: Violenza Domestica

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
I prefer I'm Only Sleeping as well over Love You To, but other than that, yeah.

I'm actually a little disappointed that the Western/Indian mix never really went anywhere fully realized (at least not in non-gimmicky full album form). I've been listening to Wonderwall Music recently (since a few posters have been gushing about it), and it's a really really cool mix.

Yes!!! My work here is done. Very glad you enjoyed it.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Totally different take on Harrison's top five Beatles songs:

If I Needed Someone
Love You To
Long, Long, Long
Within You, Without You
I Need You

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Totally different take on Harrison's top five Beatles songs:

If I Needed Someone
Love You To
Long, Long, Long
Within You, Without You
I Need You

I'll follow the lead and give some love to a few other neglected George song...

1) While My Guitar Gently Weeps
2) Old Brown Shoe
3) Something
4) Within You Without You
5) Blue Jay Way

6) Love You To
7) For You Blue
8) Long, Long, Long
9) Here Comes the Sun
10) Only A Northern Song

Love them all.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
I'm probably in the minority but I like the album Hard Day's Night the best.

Mimsy

Mar 21, 2015
My personal top 5 from George:

Long, Long, Long
I Need You (as a kid, I recall being indifferent on first few listens, but George's tone pedal won me over)
Think for Yourself
If I Needed Someone
Something

HM: It' Only a Northern Song/I Me Mine

I also like some of George's early covers. "Roll Over Beethoven" was a good song choice for him. Even going back to the mostly dismal Decca auditions, I thought his songs were on par with Paul's (Lennon's songs were bland). On the Hamburg recordings, George does an awesome up-tempo cover of Ain't Nothin' Shakin', whereas the BBC studio version sounds neutered by comparison.

"If I Needed Someone" is responsible for my biggest case of buyer's remorse. I became obsessed with Paul's Hofner at a young age and was intent on buying a Beatle bass when I could afford it. There were no major guitar dealers in my immediate area, so I couldn't even decompress by playing one in-store. Eventually, my parents found a Hofner copy at a local shop (well before Hofner introduced its then more affordable "contemporary" model) and surprised me with it for Christmas. The no-name violin bass was enough to satisfy my appetite.

Fast forward some years later to me having (maybe) enough disposable income to risk overspending on the real thing. I was online shopping for reputable dealers and deciding between a Hofner V62 model (closest replica to Paul's) or a '63 (no longer in production). "If I Needed Someone" was playing in the background. Hearing the jangle of George's 12-string Rickenbacker, I decided to watch a few Youtube videos of amateur guitarists strumming their own 12-strings. About a half hour later, I had ordered my own on impulse. That was thirteen years ago. My Rickenbacker is still in its case under my bed. I've taken it out about twenty times since purchasing and last opened the case about 8 years ago. The Rick 12 has a learning curve, especially for a 12-string novice with little patience. The strings are spaced closer together than other 12-string brands. You also need to be handy with a pick. I'm not, and refuse to learn. I'm not a "throw it on ebay" person, so I'm stuck with it. At least Rickenbackers don't depreciate in value, but mine may no longer be as near-mint due to gross neglect.

I'm much more careful with my spending these days. My Hofner dream is dead, but I'm happy with my violin copy bass and even prefer it to an original, since it was a gift from my parents. Present-day prices for genuine Hofners are astronomical, so they're an easy pass.

Reactions: Violenza Domestica

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad