Music: Beatles Survey- Favorite and Least Favorite Song from Each Album

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
With a Little Help From My Friends is the only genuinely great Ringo track that's legitimately among the highlights of its respective album, IMO. Good Night is also very good in the context of the album. Maybe Yellow Submarine too (though I think that one still drags down the masterpiece that is Revolver).

Everything else, while not without their charms, are weaker tracks that hurt the albums they're a part of, in my view.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
My top five Ringo songs:

Switch 2 and 3 and that’s my list too.

Seriously, I think ‘With a Little Help from my Friends’ is the only top notch song. I really like Yellow Submarine as well but that’s personal taste. And Good Night is a great ending to the weirdness that is the White Album.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Both She loves you and I wanna hold your hand have great chord progressions, are much more complex than they seem. The bridge is real nice on I wanna, and She loves you has a great pre-chorus.

Ringo had some fun songs.

Boys, Act naturally, What goes on, Matchbox, Don't pass me by.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017

Please adopt this philosophy. ;)

Well, I'm no Saint, of course an opinion like "Half of [the White album] flat out sucks" or "Annie Hall is overrated as f***", especially stated as fact, will tickle me. But otherwise I respect pretty much any position on art when articulated as such or backed up with arguments. But yeah, I can be a little blunt - really sorry if I offended anyone. :)

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I know that's meant to be tongue-in-cheek, but my take on that would be that while nobody can be criticized for saying that they simply enjoy something, that doesn't mean that all valid opinions can or should ideally translate into or be reduced to expressions of enjoyment. Personally, I would absolutely hate for this place to be transformed into that kind of environment/adopt that philosophy. Even just as a reader of this forum, I have no use for finding out what people merely enjoy, I mostly just care about what they admire/appreciate/think is valuable/feel strongly and opinionated about.

While obviously there's no need to get personal or cross any lines, I think ideally, toes SHOULD be stepped on, actual opinions SHOULD be argued, and we should have thicker skin about those perceived differences (and take them with whatever grain of salt we think they're worth) instead of walking on eggshells and keeping everything strictly about individual preferences. Often, you have those preferences in the first place because there's some part of you that sees more arguable and impartable/transferrable value in them. Even if it isn't technically measurable or provable, my primary interest here is that I ideally want people to try to express the truths that they personally see. And honestly, where I might differ from what Violenza Domestica said is that I want that attempt regardless of whether or not they're able to back it up.

Last edited:

plank

Aug 26, 2008
Long Dark Blues
stumbled across this today, thought I'd share.
EbuNY_uXkAA5rtm

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
stumbled across this today, thought I'd share.
EbuNY_uXkAA5rtm
Interesting. I think those might be the choices of casual fans of the band. Hey Jude, Let It Be and Yesterday are probably their most popular songs. I find my tastes have changed over the years as I’d probably have picked them 20 years ago myself and still might pick Yesterday even now. All are really good songs but I’d have different finalists myself.
A Day in the Life is the fourth finalist but probably less popular for the casual fan but would be my top choice. I’d add any three of:
1. Strawberry Fields, Tomorrow Never Knows and Help by John.
2. Something or While My Guitar Gently Weeps by George.
3. Yesterday or Eleanor Rigby by Paul.
Lots of great choices and my top choices would probably change over time and other people would have different choices as there are so many great songs to choose from.

Last edited:
Reactions: plank

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
just found this on youtube, thought some like be interested in this says it's a rare demo of Norwegian Wood.

That's cool - thanks! Always interesting to hear what didn't make the cut, and in this case it's obvious why. First impression was that the voices didn't blend with the different instruments. John & Paul were almost off key, but I think it's the sitar and bass (whatever type Paul was playing), which seemed to slide in pitch rather than give their voices a warm foundation. NW has a pretty melody, but it loses its charm here. This arrangement is a good example of John's vocal limits -- when he sings ballads he really needs solid chords underneath to support him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad