OT: Beatles Survey (and General Beatlemania Thread)

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
Me and my dad do a rousing I Don't Want to Spoil the Party rendition.

My favorite Beatles song is And Your Bird Can Sing, followed by Yes It Is. I remember being quite small with my first favorite song (in all of music) being Please Mr. Postman

The Beatles are my favorite band by light years. I listened to little else until middle school...they were probably 75% of my entire catalog until I started branching out.

I've been to the Cavern Club and Abbey Road. I still have the keychain on my keys ring.

I remember being very small and trying to copy how Ringo does the fill going into "help me if you can I'm feeling down" because he does it with one hand in the movie. I thought it was great and have fond memories of finally perfecting it as like a 7 year old.

Words of Love is another favorite of mine. I could list 50 songs as my favorites, so instead I'll list some of my deeper cut favorites, like Words of Love and And Your Bird Can Sing

You Like Me Too Much
I Need You
I've Just Seen a Face
It's All Too Much
Only a Northern Song
Two of Us
Why Don't We Do It in the Road
Revolution 1 (take 2? ....okayyyy)
For No One
Yer Blues

That's a good place to start I think. I'm sure I "missed" some but that's what happens when you just rattle them off in 10 seconds

Can we all agree that the way Paul sings "when I get to the bottom I go back to the top of the hill and I stop and I turn and I give you a thrill and I get to the bottom and I see you again" is incredible on the anthology version of Helter Skelter?
Yes It Is narrowly missed my four favorite non-album choices. I went with This Boy instead

I've always thought that Words of Love was one of their absolute best covers, though I like Beatles for Sale far more than most (I feel like we might have talked about this at one point)

It's All Too Much was my pick for favorite for Yellow Submarine. I'm disheartened it's getting so many least favorite votes (spoiler), but there were also only four songs to pick from

Some deep cut favorites of mine (other than the ones you and I both listed above) are

There's a Place
Ask Me Why
P.S. I Love You
Hold Me Tight (this one seems kinda polarizing)
Don't Bother Me
Everything from Beatles for Sale
I'm Down
Fixing a Hole (not sure how deep this one is actually considered)
Flying (another one that's getting slammed with least fav votes)
I'm So Tired
Long Long Long
Honey Pie
Savoy Truffle
Cry Baby Cry

I've listened to Revolver so much and love it like a child that I can't actually consider any song from it a deep cut anymore, haha

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Yes It Is narrowly missed my four favorite non-album choices. I went with This Boy instead

I've always thought that Words of Love was one of their absolute best covers, though I like Beatles for Sale far more than most (I feel like we might have talked about this at one point)

It's All Too Much was my pick for favorite for Yellow Submarine. I'm disheartened it's getting so many least favorite votes (spoiler), but there were also only four songs to pick from

Some deep cut favorites of mine (other than the ones you and I both listed above) are

There's a Place
Ask Me Why
P.S. I Love You
Don't Bother Me
I'm Down
I'm So Tired
Long Long Long
Honey Pie
Savoy Truffle
Cry Baby Cry

I've listened to Revolver so much and love it like a child that I can't actually consider any song from it a deep cut anymore, haha
Both Flying and Blue Jay Way are not even close to throwawys for me.

I love love love the almost Alice in Wodnerland type lyrics in Cry Baby Cry. I can play that one on the piano! Along with Sexy Sadie, For No One...among plenty others if course.

The end of Long Long Long was my alarm for a little bit hahaha

It's all too much is so good! Excellent guitar and I'm a sucker for 60s rock organs. But the beginning is sick! The feedback. TO JORMA!

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
Both Flying and Blue Jay Way are not even close to throwawys for me.

I love love love the almost Alice in Wodnerland type lyrics in Cry Baby Cry. I can play that one on the piano! Along with Sexy Sadie, For No One...among plenty others if course.

The end of Long Long Long was my alarm for a little bit hahaha

It's all too much is so good! Excellent guitar and I'm a sucker for 60s rock organs. But the beginning is sick! The feedback. TO JORMA!
I forgot Sexy Sadie! I didn't really get into the White Album until literally these past few months so those songs still don't always immediately come to mind when I think of my favorite overlooked Beatles songs. All I've Got to Do is another early one that doesn't get enough love. Honestly it'd be easier to count the Beatles songs I dont like.

FlyerFaithful17

Feb 24, 2015

There's a Place
Ask Me Why

P.S. I Love You
Don't Bother Me
I'm Down
I'm So Tired
Long Long Long
Honey Pie
Savoy Truffle
Cry Baby Cry

Agreed on bolded. Other deeper cut favorites of mine:

Misery
All I’ve Got To Do
Not A Second Time
I’ll Be Back
I Need You
You’re Gonna Lose That Girl
Girl
If I Needed Someone (favorite George song)
She Said She Said
Lovely Rita
Your Mother Should Know
The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill
Rocky Raccoon
Sexy Sadie
You Never Give Me Your Money

Last edited:

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
In addition to the survey I made a couple Beatles clip quizzes and uploaded them to Soundcloud a few months ago. The first is the songs from a recent top 100 countdown done by Siriusx, and the other is 95 songs that didn't make that list. Would anyone be interested in me posting those here this weekend? I made answer keys as well. (For the non Beatles inclined, I also made a 70s one and an 80s one)

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
I forgot Sexy Sadie! I didn't really get into the White Album until literally these past few months so those songs still don't always immediately come to mind when I think of my favorite overlooked Beatles songs. All I've Got to Do is another early one that doesn't get enough love. Honestly it'd be easier to count the Beatles songs I dont like.
My answer to that truly would be zero. I will never skip a Beatles song every time. Revolution 9 doesn't count lol

FlyerFaithful17

Feb 24, 2015
My answer to that truly would be zero. I will never skip a Beatles song every time. Revolution 9 doesn't count lol
Revolution 9 is not a song... doesn’t count like you said.

I’ve met a lot of Beatles fans who like the self titled album the most. It doesn’t even come close to me, but I understand the allure. It’s a real experience if you have 90 minutes to listen straight through.

Reactions: Strawberry Fields

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
In addition to the survey I made a couple Beatles clip quizzes and uploaded them to Soundcloud a few months ago. The first is the songs from a recent top 100 countdown done by Siriusx, and the other is 95 songs that didn't make that list. Would anyone be interested in me posting those here this weekend? I made answer keys as well. (For the non Beatles inclined, I also made a 70s one and an 80s one)
I would expect at least a 98% from me. I'd do it

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Agreed I’m bookers. Other deeper cut favorites of mine:

Misery
All I’ve Got To Do
Not A Second Time
I’ll Be Back
I Need You
You’re Gonna Lose That Girl
Girl
If I Needed Someone (favorite George song)
She Said She Said
Lovely Rita
Your Mother Should Know
The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill
Rocky Raccoon
Sexy Sadie
You Never Give Me Your Money
My favorite George is I Need You. I love the double vocal tracking. The Beatles layered lead vocals all the time, especially George and John, but there's something about the imperfections in that particular track's vocal takes that I love. The second "cuz I couldn't really stand it" is great. One track holds onto Cuz and I a little making couldn't a little faster, and the second track holds onto couldn't a little bit, so cuz I is a little quicker. It's charming. But I love those imperfections

Like in Anna (Go To Him) you can hear Ringo's bass pedal squeaking

Reactions: FlyerFaithful17

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
I often skip I Want You after a few minutes, but I always let it start. Otherwise I often skip
Little Child
When I Get Home
Slow Down
Matchbox
Blue Jay Way (sorry- i like most of George's spacy stuff, but this one tends to not do it for me)
A good chunk of the Let It Be album

None of these are songs I actively dislike, but they are certainly far from my favorite Beatles songs

Slow Down and Matchbox are the only two I'll skip almost each time they come on my Beatles Spotify playlist at work. Revolution 9 is a 50-50 for me, sometimes I'll let it play, sometimes I'll skip

FlyerFaithful17

Feb 24, 2015
I often skip I Want You after a few minutes, but I always let it start. Otherwise I often skip
Little Child
When I Get Home
Slow Down
Matchbox
Blue Jay Way (sorry- i like most of George's spacy stuff, but this one tends to not do it for me)
A good chunk of the Let It Be album

None of these are songs I actively dislike, but they are certainly far from my favorite Beatles songs

Slow Down and Matchbox are the only two I'll skip almost each time they come on my Beatles Spotify playlist at work. Revolution 9 is a 50-50 for me, sometimes I'll let it play, sometimes I'll skip
Blue Jay Way is probably my least favorite original. It just drags for me. I’m an album purist though so I rarely skip.

Reactions: Strawberry Fields

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Revolution 9 is not a song... doesn’t count like you said.

I’ve met a lot of Beatles fans who like the self titled album the most. It doesn’t even come close to me, but I understand the allure. It’s a real experience if you have 90 minutes to listen straight through.
Funny enough I'm hard pressed to pick a favorite album. I can say it's between Sgt Pepper's, Abbey Road, and Beatles For Sale

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
I probably mentioned it here already but it was legitimately my least favorite Beatles album besides Let It Be (not counting Yellow Sub) until very recently. It's still not even a top 5 favorite for me but I definitely appreciate it and most of its songs a lot more now.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I filled the survey out, but my take that always pisses people off is that “Come Together” is the worst single by a mile and an actively terrible song.

For deep cuts that never get mentioned, I always loved Chains, but it’s not really a Beatles song. It’s just a sugary retro pop track they happened to cut. Of course, it’s tough to really find a deep cut. Something like “Happiness Is a Warm Gun” is a masterpiece and wasn’t a big radio hit, but half the planet probably knows it.

FlyerFaithful17

Feb 24, 2015
I filled the survey out, but my take that always pisses people off is that “Come Together” is the worst single by a mile and an actively terrible song.

For deep cuts that never get mentioned, I always loved Chains, but it’s not really a Beatles song. It’s just a sugary retro pop track they happened to cut. Of course, it’s tough to really find a deep cut. Something like “Happiness Is a Warm Gun” is a masterpiece and wasn’t a big radio hit, but half the planet probably knows it.
Yeah, deep cut and Beatles deep cut are two different things.

Carole King was a fabulous pop songwriter although Chains has never been a favorite cover of mine (it’s fine).

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Until you see them all listed out, the quality and volume of their work is easy to forget. Simply impressive. That was fun, thanks!

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018

The thing with Come Together- and please chime in your ideas here- was there any other single put out similar to that in the 60s? That was so unique from what I can muster up in my brain in the last 10 minutes. Though I wasn't around, of course.

The iconic bass riff drives the song, clearly, but...it IS the song. And that is outlandish in 1969...really, it's outlandish in music period. Ringo's (also iconic) messy "lefty on a righty kit" shuffle on the floor tom coupled with lead bass as a counter melody to John's vocals? That type of oxymoronic musical void is something only a handful of bands could pull off.

There's just something to say about it. If it wasn't released double A with Something, maybe it would be one of those Happiness is a Warm Gun songs that everyone knows but didn't chart, especially being the opener for one of the most iconic records in human history.

Maybe they release Something with Oh Darling. Then what happens to Come Together? Truthfully, I think it stands up.

If I were to pick their "worst" #1 I might go with the Ballad of J and Y

Last edited:

FlyerFaithful17

Feb 24, 2015
The thing with Come Together- and please chime in your ideas here- was there any other single put out similar to that in the 60s? That was so unique from what I can muster up in my brain in the last 10 minutes. Though I wasn't around, of course.

The iconic bass riff drives the song, clearly, but...it IS the song. And that is outlandish in 1969...really, it's outlandish in music period. Ringo's (also iconic) messy left on a righty shuffle on the floor tom coupled with lead bass as a counter melody to John's vocals? That type of void oxymoronic musical void is something only a handful of bands could pull off.

There's just something to say about it. If it wasn't released double A with Something, maybe it would be one of those Happiness is a Warm Gun songs that everyone knows but didn't chart, especially being the opener for one of the most iconic records in human history.

Maybe they release Something with Oh Darling. Then what happens to Come Together? Truthfully, I think it stands up.

If I were to pick their "worst" #1 I might go with the Ballad of J and Y
Worst #1 for me is easily The Long And Winding Road. It’s overly dramatic in its presentation and simply doesn’t keep my attention.

I agree on Come Together. It is a glorious off kilter powerhouse of a song. It’s one of The Beatles heavier efforts.

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
Two more widely maligned Beatles songs I like: their cover of Act Naturally and Maxwell's Silver Hammer (

Two widely praised Beatles songs I dont care a whole lot for: Come Together and Blackbird

My disdain for Come Together admittedly comes primarily from hearing it so much rather than flat out hating it, but it's also far from a favorite of mine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad