OT: Bears & NFL Talk 96

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

Wonder what they did and as fringe roster players at this point in career it wouldn't be surprising if this is it for NFL careers

When a team in playoff fight suspends you for rest of season with 3 games to go teams around NFL are going to raise eyebrows and red flag you in FA

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
For those who think the Bears should draft a QB, DJ Moore just complicated the off-season. DJ said he "hopes" the Bears do not draft QB and he believes Justin is better than Caleb Williams/Drake Maye.

Moore may not have an actual say in who the Bears draft but I believe his opinion will carry some weight. Something to watch out for.

Why exactly should Bears care what DJ Moore thinks?

He has 1 year left on his deal and isn't exactly looking all that amazing out there most games. Yeah QB play and play calling suck but he hasn't exactly shown himself to be a dominant #1 WR and is containable in games

Honestly if team makes good offer Bears should consider moving him especially if they plan to draft a WR like Harrison or Nabers early.

Can also grab another WR late 1st round/2nd round in this draft with great upside if you get picks in those areas from trade/trades

Thomas the other WR from LSU could be good option late 1st/early 2nd for Bears

Daniesl + Nabers + Thomas = Chemistry built in immediately

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL

He has 1 year left on his deal and isn't exactly looking all that amazing out there most games. Yeah QB play and play calling suck but he hasn't exactly shown himself to be a dominant #1 WR and is containable in games

Honestly if team makes good offer Bears should consider moving him especially if they plan to draft a WR like Harrison or Nabers early.

Can also grab another WR late 1st round/2nd round in this draft with great upside if you get picks in those areas from trade/trades

Disagree hard on everything here. 7 receivers in the league have more yards than Moore does this season, and all of them have 20+ more targets than he does.

If anything, seeing what he does when he gets the ball, and seeing all the times Fields doesn't give him the ball has made me sure that the team has a clear #1 receiver for the next QB.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010

2 more years

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL

You have some shit takes, but this is a super shit take.

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City

Who you crappin’?

Reactions: Mrfenn92 and Pez68

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Reminds me of when Marshall stood up calling Cutter his QB despite McCown being better.

Idionym

Apr 6, 2015
Chicago
I imagine people thinking Moore’s statement means anything also thinks that when a GM says a coach isn’t getting fired that the coach isn’t getting fired.

Reactions: Pez68

bwanajamba

Apr 18, 2019
Yeah it would be a much bigger story if Moore didn't stick up for his guy. Not the way to run a franchise at any rate

Reactions: Idionym

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
You know that top 25 defense thing that every talks about with Caleb. Did you know that three of those games were from… 2021?? His 18 year old season at OU. Lmfao.

1703046141298.png

Panzerspitze

Mar 4, 2010
The guy who just got demoted from D Coordinator in Philly?

Desai didn't assemble the bargain bin collection of LBs including castoffs Nick Morrow and Shaq Leonard, nor a secondary that has a member called "trash" by the opposition before a game. The demotion is already being questioned as an overreaction and rearraning the wrong set of deck chairs:

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
You know that top 25 defense thing that every talks about with Caleb. Did you know that three of those games were from… 2021?? His 18 year old season at OU. Lmfao.

View attachment 787085
I get that you have a man crush on the dude. But why not focus posts more on why the Bears should take Caleb instead of all the excuses?

That said - I'm leaning more towards taking Caleb if the Bears get #1, but there's 4+ months to go. And right now my suspicions are New England ends up with the #1 pick. The Panthers have 2 teams in a free fall in their next 2 games. More upsets could be coming.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I get that you have a man crush on the dude. But why not focus posts more on why the Bears should take Caleb instead of all the excuses?

That said - I'm leaning more towards taking Caleb if the Bears get #1, but there's 4+ months to go. And right now my suspicions are New England ends up with the #1 pick. The Panthers have 2 teams in a free fall in their next 2 games. More upsets could be coming.
I’ve talked about his 4900 yard season with 1 player in the top 100 in the draft.

I’ve talked about his elite arm strengths, great footwork, pocket presence, and said just go watch the film on him. But people would rather repost twitter graphics of stats they barely know where they come from.

I’ve also posted the things I didn’t like, like his hero ball mentality and some of his bench mannerisms. It’s sort of difficult to have a serious discussion about it in here. Everyone is so jaded by the Bears bad history that it becomes hard to accept that this guy is an amazing prospect.

It’s easy to be negative and try and poke holes and hold on to mediocrity, you’ll be right a lot in this town if you’re always negative.

Reactions: Sarava

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
. Everyone is so jaded by the Bears bad history that it becomes hard to accept that this guy is an amazing prospect.
Once upon a time Justin Fields was an "amazing prospect." Not saying, Williams is not without talent, I'm saying his talent is being overrated. Throw in his smaller size and his fumbling issues, I am less than impressed with his video game numbers.

The best thing Caleb Williams can do for the Bears is to pull a Peyton Manning and go back to school At least, the Bears would get a clearer view of the draft.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Once upon a time Justin Fields was an "amazing prospect." Not saying, Williams is not without talent, I'm saying his talent is being overrated. Throw in his smaller size and his fumbling issues, I am less than impressed with his video game numbers.

The best thing Caleb Williams can do for the Bears is to pull a Peyton Manning and go back to school At least, the Bears would get a clearer view of the draft.
Fields dropped to QB4 at #11, past QB needy teams in Panthers and Falcons. Bears fans' talking up his amazing reputation as a prospect are majorly ignoring how the league actually viewed him at the draft.

Going by how the league as a whole viewed Fields at the time of the draft, it's not even realistic to call him a bust. He has time spent in the league as a slightly below average starter. That's just the type of play you should expect from QB4 who is not viewed as a top 10 pick by multiple teams.

I have to say, being so against a prospect that you want the Carolina draft pick to drastically lose value rather than the Bears to make an educated decision on whether to draft him or not seems completely irrational to me.

What's your solution at QB?

Last edited:

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL

Williams has been projected as the top overall quarterback in the class basically since he came out of high school and committed to coach Lincoln Riley at Oklahoma. He transferred to USC in 2022 when Riley took the coaching job there and didn't disappoint, winning the Heisman Trophy that season. Over two years at USC, Williams has 72 passing touchdowns, 21 rushing touchdowns and 10 interceptions.

"He's close to a lock [to go No. 1]," said one NFL general manager. "I wouldn't say he's a lock to the level Trevor Lawrence or Joe Burrow were, but he's more of a lock than Bryce Young or Baker Mayfield."

Williams has been called a "generational talent" by many NFL scouts and has received comparisons to Patrick Mahomes, Aaron Rodgers and a young Russell Wilson. Quarterbacks with his arm strength, ability throw from multiple arm angles/platforms, field vision and mobility are rare -- which is why he's the overwhelming favorite among NFL scouts to be the first pick. His ability as a creator stands out most. His 82.3 Total QBR is good for 11th in the nation this season, and his 11 rushing touchdowns rank fifth among quarterbacks.

Calling anyone a "lock" is always risky, but in a poll of 10 scouts and front office personnel, everyone believed Williams will go No. 1. And I've personally had him as the top prospect in this class for more than two years.

Recently, Yahoo! Sports interviewed seven anonymous general managers with one question in mind --- should the Bears keep Fields, or trade him elsewhere?

The unanimous consensus was the Bears should ship Fields out of town.

“It would be a clear-cut decision to draft Caleb for me,” an AFC general manager said in the report. “The fact that we’re in Year 3 and [they] don’t want to exercise the fifth-year option tells me what I need to know. I just don’t think Fields can win consistently as a passer, even though he is gifted physically.”

Just to reaffirm that this idea isn't just espoused on here by a couple of posters with a little bit of game tape. Williams IS really good. If you're going after a QB in this draft, he has the fewest question marks. Sticking with Fields after he has produced (generously) yet another question mark in year 3 doesn't make sense, not just because you're punting on even trying to solve the QB question, but because you're months away from having to decide whether you're letting Fields walk (or giving him a Daniel Jones like offer if he even has an average season) after year 4, or committing a Montez Sweat amount of money for year 5.

Last edited:
Reactions: Idionym and Pez68

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010

Just to reaffirm that this idea isn't just espoused on here by a couple of posters with a little bit of game tape. Williams IS really good. If you're going after a QB in this draft, he has the fewest question marks. Sticking with Fields after he has produced (generously) yet another question mark in year 3 doesn't make sense, not just because you're punting on even trying to solve the QB question, but because you're months away from having to decide whether you're letting Fields walk (or giving him a Daniel Jones like offer if he even has an average season) after year 4, or committing a Montez Sweat amount of money for year 5.

They could pick up his 5th year option they don’t have to extend him yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad