OT: Bears & NFL Talk 96

Status
Not open for further replies.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Doesn’t matter if Luck won the Heisman. He was the number one overall pick and had no pro receivers on his team.

I said I wasn’t sure about Winston, and didn’t feel like looking it up

None of Bradford‘s receivers played any meaningful NFL games. You can combine them and count them on one hand. The first rounder you speak of was a freshman who caught 10 passes in bradford’s heisman season. The others were seventh rounders drafted because of him, not the other way around.

Point is, plenty of quarterbacks do just fine without pro receivers, and the excuses people are making for Williams are just excuses.
And Williams is going to be the #1 OA pick and also had no receivers on his team. He had 1 player in the Top 100 (Addison) on his offensive team last year and won the Heisman with 4600 yards as a Sophomore. This year he is going to have ZERO players in the Top 100 on either side of the ball. People just want to find stuff to hate at this point. Like random articles about his dad spouting shit that isn't even legal in the NFL. Its nonsense.

For those who think the Bears should draft a QB, DJ Moore just complicated the off-season. DJ said he "hopes" the Bears do not draft QB and he believes Justin is better than Caleb Williams/Drake Maye.

Moore may not have an actual say in who the Bears draft but I believe his opinion will carry some weight. Something to watch out for.
He's currently playing with the guy. I mean what else is he supposed to say? "Yeah my QB sucks get me another!" If he says "I don't need to answer these questions" the media is going to spin it as if he has problems with Fields... he shouldn't even be getting asked these questions.

If they draft Caleb and he sucks they will support him too. Mack said great stuff about Trubisky. It legit doesn't matter. If Caleb comes here and they start winning everything is forgiven, even if they are mad.

Reactions: Idionym

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Doesn’t matter if Luck won the Heisman. He was the number one overall pick and had no pro receivers on his team.

I said I wasn’t sure about Winston, and didn’t feel like looking it up

None of Bradford‘s receivers played any meaningful NFL games. You can combine them and count them on one hand. The first rounder you speak of was a freshman who caught 10 passes in bradford’s heisman season. The others were seventh rounders drafted because of him, not the other way around.

Point is, plenty of quarterbacks do just fine without pro receivers, and the excuses people are making for Williams are just excuses.

Those other guys won the heisman because of what they did with their legs as much as their arm

Reactions: ClydeLee

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Those other guys won the heisman because of what they did with their legs as much as their arm
Don't know why it even matters. He won the Heisman. Not like its a real predictor of NFL success. Oh no he didn't win it twice. Yeah well no one has other than Archie Griffin and they admitted that it was a mistake to give him the 2nd.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
And Williams is going to be the #1 OA pick and also had no receivers on his team. He had 1 player in the Top 100 (Addison) on his offensive team last year and won the Heisman with 4600 yards as a Sophomore. This year he is going to have ZERO players in the Top 100 on either side of the ball. People just want to find stuff to hate at this point. Like random articles about his dad spouting shit that isn't even legal in the NFL. Its nonsense.

He's currently playing with the guy. I mean what else is he supposed to say? "Yeah my QB sucks get me another!" If he says "I don't need to answer these questions" the media is going to spin it as if he has problems with Fields... he shouldn't even be getting asked these questions.

If they draft Caleb and he sucks they will support him too. Mack said great stuff about Trubisky. It legit doesn't matter. If Caleb comes here and they start winning everything is forgiven, even if they are mad.
I couldn’t care less about his father, and it’s not hate. I just don’t think he is worth a number one overall. It’s not an insult, there are legit concerns. Won’t surprise me if he drops to number five or later.

hawksrule

May 18, 2014
Don't know why it even matters. He won the Heisman. Not like it’s a real predictor of NFL success. Oh no he didn't win it twice. Yeah well no one has other than Archie Griffin and they admitted that it was a mistake to give him the 2nd.
I agree Heisman is not a predictor, you’re the one who brought it up as if it was.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I couldn’t care less about his father, and it’s not hate. I just don’t think he is worth a number one overall. It’s not an insult, there are legit concerns. Won’t surprise me if he drops to number five or later.
Zero percent chance he gets past 2. 99.99% chance he goes 1.

I agree Heisman is not a predictor, you’re the one who brought it up as if it was.
No I didn't. I said he had a legit NFL receiver on his team last year and he won the Heisman. Because you said he wasn't dominant this year so you're not interested in him.. In a year he has no player on his team in the Top 100 in the NFL Draft.

hawksrule

May 18, 2014
Zero percent chance he gets past 2. 99.99% chance he goes 1.

No I didn't. I said he had a legit NFL receiver on his team last year and he won the Heisman. Because you said he wasn't dominant this year so you're not interested in him.. In a year he has no player on his team in the Top 100 in the NFL Draft.
If the Heisman isn’t a predictor, then who cares if he won it. Also, didn’t say not interested in him, just not with the first pick.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
For those who think the Bears should draft a QB, DJ Moore just complicated the off-season. DJ said he "hopes" the Bears do not draft QB and he believes Justin is better than Caleb Williams/Drake Maye.

Moore may not have an actual say in who the Bears draft but I believe his opinion will carry some weight. Something to watch out for.
Why would that complicate the off season? Do you actually think Moore's liking Fields will influence the front office's decision, or do you just wish it would?

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Really? After last draft, where 3 QBs were drafted in the top 5, one of which was high schooler sized and the other hadn't proven to be able to hit a barn door over his less than 400 pass attempts in college?

Reactions: TLEH and Idionym

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
If the Heisman isn’t a predictor, then who cares if he won it. Also, didn’t say not interested in him, just not with the first pick.
Just because you win the Heisman ALONE doesn't mean you are guaranteed NFL success.. which you agree with. So I don't really know what we are arguing. I'm not saying its the reason he should go 1.01. I am saying that he had an ounce of talent on his team and went crazy (4900 total yards). I don't really care about the Heisman. Remove it from the conversation. His season still was amazing.

I find it hard to have this conversation when you think there is a legit chance he goes 5 or later.

Idionym

Apr 6, 2015
Chicago
I’m incredibly sorry to report to everyone that Williams and Maye are both considered legitimately good QB prospects with a solid shot of becoming franchise guys. It is with great disappointment I also inform everyone that the Bears will likely be able to draft one of them. I know we all love having mediocre quarterback play. I know it’s terrible to hear that we may just be able to find a franchise QB. I know that it’s easier to stick with a guy who has shown that he can’t win games for us than take a risk on someone who might be able to. But unfortunately, we may all just have to accept the reality that we potentially may have a franchise QB next season in Williams or Maye. Truly a nightmare scenario.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010

I’ll bet you any amount of money he doesn’t get picked below 5

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
For reference, current QB needy teams in the top 4:

Bears, Patriots, Commanders.

If the Commies win a game, they'll be replaced with *check notes* hey! It's the Bears again.

Then the Giants and Jets. The only non-QB needy team in the top 10 right now are the Chargers, Titans and Cardinals. And if either of those teams are #4 and Williams is there, do you really think their phones aren't ringing non-stop?

Basically, the way Williams doesn't go top 4 is if enough teams view him as QB4. That doesn't seem likely.

plasmonresonance

Jul 28, 2015
Apparently Seattle's win against the Eagles effected the SOS of NE in such a manner that they are now tied with Carolina in SOS. So IF Pathers win another game, NE may end up with #1 due them playing an easier schedule. Obviously a lot can happen over the next three weeks and as long as Carolina doesn't win another game, the SOS is a non-factor.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

Browns have had more QB's lead game winning drives this year (4 different QB's) then Fields has GWD in his 3 year career (He has just 3)

I miss having QB that could lead a team down field at end for W, Cutler had 18 GW drives

Last edited:

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Baker Mayfield has earned himself a new deal with Bucs IMO

296-466 (63.5%)
3,315 yards
24 TD's
8 INT's

I think he is new Goff. Got way too much flak/blame in Cleveland (Honestly, he was pretty good most of his time in Cleveland) and seems to have found himself a place he is comfortable in and is thriving.

And since he is only 28 he gives Bucs some time before they have to go for QB in draft and they can focus on getting other pieces in draft

Reactions: Sarava and Romang67
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad