OT: Bears & NFL Talk 94

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
For a second, I thought you meant Vegas' Mcdumuels. I don't know if Miami's McDaniels would have ever taken the Bears job. Kyle Shanahan was not a fan of Justin Fields. That's why his buddy Chris Simms was so harsh on Fields. I bet McDaniels felt the same way. In fact, I heard Kyle wanted Mac ... not that he's any good either. Those guys want a QB who throw with anticipation with a capital A ... Purdy, Tua, Mac. Getsy runs a similar offense. Hence, this is probably not the best fit for Justin's skillset.
Purdy and Mac are kind of the same player so makes sense that he wanted Mac given he ditched Lance at first opportunity and went with the less athletic QB in Purdy this year...The problem with Fields is that he's not doing things at even a baseline NFL level, getting the ball to wide open receivers when he has ample time...even Lamar can drive the ball down the field consistently, as can Josh Allen and Jalen Hurts...Fields is a one trick pony, he can run and thats it...just turn him into Cordelle Patterson if that's where he is most effective, give up the QB thing because he's special with the ball in his hands when he's not expected to pass it, it will never happen because thats not how the NFL operates but it would be an interesting experiment

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
yesterday right as they went in for halftime they interviewed him and asked 'what is working for you guys out there' and he just said 'nothing is working for me its the players making plays' and its just like f*** man why can we not ever get one of these kind of guys...eberflus has the personality of a garage door and the team has gone nowhere in 20 games now
I actually think Eberflus is a decent leader. There's a reason he's well liked by Saban and Belichick. Unfortunately, his defensive scheme sucks. Bears ownership felt so bad about firing Lovie, they picked a guy who ran the scheme. No surprise former Colt Polian like Eberflus as well.

Poles had some major gaffes as well. Claypool, Jones, Stevenson, and Dexter are struggling. Our 2nd round picks have struggled. That said, I understand what he's trying to do. It makes sense. He should be allowed to pick his players and coaches. I think he'll get it right if given control, but it will take time.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I actually think Eberflus is a decent leader. There's a reason he's well liked by Saban and Belichick. Unfortunately, his defensive scheme sucks. Bears ownership felt so bad about firing Lovie, they picked a guy who ran the scheme. No surprise former Colt Polian like Eberflus as well.

Poles had some major gaffes as well. Claypool, Jones, Stevenson, and Dexter are struggling. Our 2nd round picks have struggled. That said, I understand what he's trying to do. It makes sense. He should be allowed to pick his players and coaches. I think he'll get it right if given control, but it will take time.
Why are we letting Poles off the hook for Eberflus hire and assuming he had no say...he said he knew right away that was his hire, that was his guy, he took ownership of that hire publicly when it was made...He gets too much of a pass from the fanbase, cool he tore it down and finished last, they got a good return from a team in Carolina with an aggressive owner that wanted Young, passed on Stroud and probably missed on a 1st round pick for Fields, traded Joey Porter Jr for Claypool, took Wright over Jalen Carter, etc etc...spent a gazillion dollars in cap space for what so far...he deserves as much blame as anybody, hired this staff and has made plenty of roster decisions to warrant criticism

Reactions: Panzerspitze

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Purdy and Mac are kind of the same player so makes sense that he wanted Mac given he ditched Lance at first opportunity and went with the less athletic QB in Purdy this year...The problem with Fields is that he's not doing things at even a baseline NFL level, getting the ball to wide open receivers when he has ample time...even Lamar can drive the ball down the field consistently, as can Josh Allen and Jalen Hurts...Fields is a one trick pony, he can run and thats it...just turn him into Cordelle Patterson if that's where he is most effective, give up the QB thing because he's special with the ball in his hands when he's not expected to pass it, it will never happen because thats not how the NFL operates but it would be an interesting experiment
It's fair criticism. He holds the ball too long and refuses to pull the trigger to receivers who are NFL open. He sees them but turns it down. It's befuddling, I don't know what his problem is. It's a major red flag that he must fix.

Last edited:

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Why are we letting Poles off the hook for Eberflus hire and assuming he had no say...he said he knew right away that was his hire, that was his guy, he took ownership of that hire publicly when it was made...He gets too much of a pass from the fanbase, cool he tore it down and finished last, they got a good return from a team in Carolina with an aggressive owner that wanted Young, passed on Stroud and probably missed on a 1st round pick for Fields, traded Joey Porter Jr for Claypool, took Wright over Jalen Carter, etc etc...spent a gazillion dollars in cap space for what so far...he deserves as much blame as anybody, hired this staff and has made plenty of roster decisions to warrant criticism
Wright is going to be a stud. I don't have a problem passing on Carter. He had issues before the racing tragedy. He wasn't the only GM passing on an immense talent in Carter. I'm not sure Young and Stroud are the answers either. Young might have a good year or 2, but he's going to get hurt. Poles might have 2 first rounders in the top 5 next year. Maybe we get William's or Maye.

Poles should be criticized. Some of his picks don't look good. However, I do like his process. It makes sense. It's all about execution.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Wright is going to be a stud. I don't have a problem passing on Carter. He had issues before the racing tragedy. He wasn't the only GM passing on an immense talent in Carter. I'm not sure Young and Stroud are the answers either. Young might have a good year or 2, but he's going to get hurt. Poles might have 2 first rounders in the top 5 next year. Maybe we get William's or Maye.

Poles should be criticized. Some of his picks don't look good. However, I do like his process. It makes sense. It's all about execution.
Unless those picks are in the top 2, I don't see a team passing on Williams. Even AZ would take a cap hit to move off Murray. If you are that bad, you likely have QB issues, so I think if Maye has a good season, he goes 2. You don't draft WR like Harrison JR or the Penn St. LT ahead of a QB.

So, whoever the bottom 2 teams are, they are going QB. So, you have to be bottom 2 to get one of those 2 guys. Otherwise, it's one of the others who is available for the 2024 draft.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Unless those picks are in the top 2, I don't see a team passing on Williams. Even AZ would take a cap hit to move off Murray. If you are that bad, you likely have QB issues, so I think if Maye has a good season, he goes 2. You don't draft WR like Harrison JR or the Penn St. LT ahead of a QB.

So, whoever the bottom 2 teams are, they are going QB. So, you have to be bottom 2 to get one of those 2 guys. Otherwise, it's one of the others who is available for the 2024 draft.
Then Ewers it is. LOL. Let's hope we are wrong and the light turns on for Justin by end October. If not, we're going to lose a ton of games.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013

Caleb with Bears pick, MHJ with Carolina pick...hopefully both are top 3 bad with Bears picking 1 again, either way there are a bunch of QBs and WRs going up the draft rankings so they need to fire on two of them and get a good offensive mind in as HC

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Caleb with Bears pick, MHJ with Carolina pick...hopefully both are top 3 bad with Bears picking 1 again, either way there are a bunch of QBs and WRs going up the draft rankings so they need to fire on two of them and get a good offensive mind in as HC
Cards are bad. No 2 ways about it.

NFC West gets the NFC East plus the AFC North. AZ gets Houston, Chicago, and ATL in the 4th place matchups.

NFC North gets the NFC South, plus the AFC West. Chi gets AZ, ATL, and CLE in their 4th place matchups.

NFC South is pretty wide open. Think Carolina sneaks out some wins.

But, it's been 2 games. Get a somewhat better sense after 6 games.

The best OC are the ones that can run multiple plays out of the same formation. If you don't and the D has done their homework in their film study, they can blow the play up and get a turnover.

Reactions: Pez68

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC

Cards are bad. No 2 ways about it.

NFC West gets the NFC East plus the AFC North. AZ gets Houston, Chicago, and ATL in the 4th place matchups.

NFC North gets the NFC South, plus the AFC West. Chi gets AZ, ATL, and CLE in their 4th place matchups.

NFC South is pretty wide open. Think Carolina sneaks out some wins.

But, it's been 2 games. Get a somewhat better sense after 6 games.

The best OC are the ones that can run multiple plays out of the same formation. If you don't and the D has done their homework in their film study, they can blow the play up and get a turnover.
The Bears called the same play 2x in the row. I don't think the 1st play was the same play ... but the same formation as play 3. The last 2 plays were the same plays with a slight formation variation.

• Haha
Reactions: coolhand and Pez68

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Regardless it doesn't pass the sniff test. You don't need to have played 10 years of NFL football to understand what its supposed to look like. We all get the A22 view after the fact if we want it. Plenty of guys who made the league do analysis. The analysis and the eyes of us casuals say the same exact thing. This shit don't look right.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Its time to start holding Poles accountable for D

He has now had two drafts + two offseasons to build up unit and it looks horrendous

He has invested draft capital in it (Four 2nd round picks + 3rd rounder) and this offseason saw him spending $ on that side of ball

Thru 2 games the Bears D has been pitiful

1 Sack
4 QB hits
0 INT's

2 full drafts/offseason there is really no excuses for Poles with regard to roster he has put forth. His player evaluation leaves a lot to be desired at this point

It was Poles who has also felt we didn't need to address the woeful pass rushing situation and as such there has been very little int he way of improvement in front 7

Reactions: Panzerspitze

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Everything that has happened in the past is not as relevant because there is Kevin Warren now. I assume he has full autonomy. I know the McCaskey family doesn't fire in season, and they may still make that call, but this is different now. Hopefully if this level of incompetence continues, there is action. Pretty much a guaranteed 0-3 start at this point. Broncos and Commanders are both toss up games in my opinion.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
The Bears called the same play 2x in the row. I don't think the 1st play was the same play ... but the same formation as play 3. The last 2 plays were the same plays with a slight formation variation.

Meet the new coaches. The same as the old coaches.

Fields might suck. He might not. But I'm of the opinion it doesn't matter. This organization is useless.

Reactions: Callidusblackhawk

Idionym

Apr 6, 2015
Chicago
I think we're at a bit of a dangerous point in the franchise at the moment.

It's looking more and more likely that Fields isn't the guy. Barring a massive Fields resurgence over this season that makes it obvious that he's a franchise QB, our best case scenario is getting a top-2 pick and getting Caleb Williams or Drake Maye, who both look like franchise QB prospects. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a QB prospect worth taking super high past those 2, so it's basically acquire a top-2 pick or you're screwed. Luckily we have 2 picks that could be top-2 picks this year, but there's still a probably above 50% chance that we don't get either (and that the top-2 teams are QB needy and won't trade them).

If we don't get a top-2 pick, I honestly think we're pretty screwed. We probably hang onto Justin for year 4 on the off-chance he's a late bloomer. We also get better as a team by adding 2 blue-chip prospects (the tackle and edge classes this year look very good, so we may get a franchise LT and edge rusher) and spending however much in FA. Our opportunity to be terrible and get a high enough pick for a top-tier QB prospect seems to be rapidly closing post this year. If that happens, we're probably going to be forced into the position of having to either pick a 2nd tier QB prospect in the 5-15 range, or make a massive trade up and mortgage the future in hopes that they hit (ala Justin Fields trade, Trey Lance trade, Bryce Young trade, etc). If we do either of those, we're basically back on the Trubisky->Fields->X roller coaster where we're just hoping that a flawed but talented QB prospect works out and we take 3-4 years to figure out if they can. We'll just be stuck in this constant rebuilding cycle that has like a 20% chance or so to work.

Long story short, I think we either get a top-2 pick this year or we're f***ed. I don't see any other realistically positive scenarios.

ndgt10

Jul 3, 2009
Poland
I'm having a hard time finding more than 3 wins on Carolina's schedule.

Likely W's:
Texans
Bears
Split with Bucs

Likely L's:
@Seahawks
Vikings
@Lions
@Dolphins
Colts
Cowboys
@Titans
@Saints
Falcons
Packers
@Jaguars

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I think we're at a bit of a dangerous point in the franchise at the moment.

It's looking more and more likely that Fields isn't the guy. Barring a massive Fields resurgence over this season that makes it obvious that he's a franchise QB, our best case scenario is getting a top-2 pick and getting Caleb Williams or Drake Maye, who both look like franchise QB prospects. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a QB prospect worth taking super high past those 2, so it's basically acquire a top-2 pick or you're screwed. Luckily we have 2 picks that could be top-2 picks this year, but there's still a probably above 50% chance that we don't get either (and that the top-2 teams are QB needy and won't trade them).

If we don't get a top-2 pick, I honestly think we're pretty screwed. We probably hang onto Justin for year 4 on the off-chance he's a late bloomer. We also get better as a team by adding 2 blue-chip prospects (the tackle and edge classes this year look very good, so we may get a franchise LT and edge rusher) and spending however much in FA. Our opportunity to be terrible and get a high enough pick for a top-tier QB prospect seems to be rapidly closing post this year. If that happens, we're probably going to be forced into the position of having to either pick a 2nd tier QB prospect in the 5-15 range, or make a massive trade up and mortgage the future in hopes that they hit (ala Justin Fields trade, Trey Lance trade, Bryce Young trade, etc). If we do either of those, we're basically back on the Trubisky->Fields->X roller coaster where we're just hoping that a flawed but talented QB prospect works out and we take 3-4 years to figure out if they can. We'll just be stuck in this constant rebuilding cycle that has like a 20% chance or so to work.

Long story short, I think we either get a top-2 pick this year or we're f***ed. I don't see any other realistically positive scenarios.
I think its almost a coin flip to get the top pick at this point. Carolina Arizona Chicago and Houston are all bad. Chicago and Carolina look the worst of those 4. Its a 50, 50 shot you get the 1st pick considering you have both of the worst two 1s in the league.

Also ideally you get the 1st pick and the 2nd pick and move the 2nd pick to another QB needy team. This team has holes at nearly every position. You just need NFL players.

Reactions: belfour30 and Pez68

Praetorian Caps

May 15, 2018
I agree with 80% of Swifty's video. I don't think Fields is absolved of all the O's woes but Getsy is the main cohert for it. Stop with the sodding screens and run the offense like last year when Justin was scrambling.

Reactions: Pez68

Idionym

Apr 6, 2015
Chicago
I think its almost a coin flip to get the top pick at this point. Carolina Arizona Chicago and Houston are all bad. Chicago and Carolina look the worst of those 4. Its a 50, 50 shot you get the 1st pick considering you have both of the worst two 1s in the league.

Also ideally you get the 1st pick and the 2nd pick and move the 2nd pick to another QB needy team. This team has holes at nearly every position. You just need NFL players.
I think if it’s Houston we could trade for the pick too. I doubt they’d give up on Stroud after a year (and if they did, we could trade for him which I wouldn’t mind either). Still, there’s always randomly bad teams that will be in contention for those top-2 picks by the end of the season, I doubt it’s a true 50-50 chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad