OT: Bears & NFL Talk 94

Status
Not open for further replies.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Continued from here:

Personally (opinion) I’m not sure Wilson or Murphy don’t end up the best edge rushers.
Also I think Van Ness is a sleeper. Size is so important on the interior line but he has size and speed. When he learns the NFL game he’ll be a match nightmare for guards/centers.
If you have an interior lineman needing a double team it makes the edge guys all the more effective.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Ehb-dZhXgAA2w5F.jpg

Reactions: Romang67

Idionym

Apr 6, 2015
Chicago
Really screws up the appeal of moving to 4 unless you think QBs go 1-2-3. I think moving down to 2 and picking Anderson is looking more and more likely unless Wilson really closes the gap.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Really screws up the appeal of moving to 4 unless you think QBs go 1-2-3. I think moving down to 2 and picking Anderson is looking more and more likely unless Wilson really closes the gap.

I’m not 100% convinced Anderson will go 3 even if Arizona stays put

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Bears apparently ranked 13th in an NFLPA report card for player amenities and treatment, ranking particularly high in weight room, locker room, and especially training room categories, pretty low treatment of families and team travel, and apparently a D+ is middle of the pack for food services.

Screenshot_20230302-121436_Chrome.jpg

For reference, the Vikings scored best in the entire league on this report card, Packers ranked sixth, and Lions were a smidge lower than us at 15th.

Oddly enough, the Chiefs faired extremely poorly, ranking 29th, with the gutter consisting of the Chargers, Cardinals, and Commanders at the very bottom for a nice alliteration.

Last edited:

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Bears apparently ranked 13th in an NFLPA report card for player amenities and treatment, ranking particularly high in weight room, locker room, and especially training room categories, pretty low treatment of families and team travel, and apparently a D+ is middle of the pack for food services.

View attachment 661219

For reference, the Vikings scored best in the entire league on this report card, Packers ranked sixth, and Lions were a smidge lower than us at 15th.

Oddly enough, the Chiefs faired extremely poorly, ranking 29th, with the gutter consisting of the Chargers, Cardinals, and Commanders at the very bottom for a nice alliteration.

A- tied for 17th. A- tied for 15th. These seem completely meaningless.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I’ve always been on the trade back to 7-10 for more draft capital train but now on it more than ever
It sounds like draft's quality drops after the teens. A lot of scouts are not handing that many first round grades to players. Not that this would truly matter, but would signal that at this point, not enough guys jump out at you. So, you are relying on the scouts to find the right fit with your scheme.

Won't know who is really going to be interested in truly trading up until after the first 3 days of free agency, by which time, you'd expect Carr, Jimmy, Geno, etc. to be signed (Smith at least tagged), then you see who is left without a QB.

And I do wonder which of the teams that took a developmental QB in 2021 and 2022 like Ridder, Corral, Trask, etc. will actually give them an opportunity to start? Is Carolina, TB, ATL right now turn key for a new young QB or would they still need to build up the roster? Might be best for them to at least take a look at what they have and see if they have something. Depends on how secure the GM/HC are in their jobs.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
This is getting juicy. I have a feeling we're going to get a lot more for the #1 than we probably anticipated when they secured this pick 2 months ago. The 3 QB's that worked out yesterday all impressed.

Aaron Leming, who who had the best media take of what the Patrick Kane trade ended up being, including the New York writers, has this to say on if a trade might happen early:

I agree with him - you dont swap with Houston right now unless it's a massive overpay. If they offer #12, you take it, then put the #2 pick up for sale.

My gut is Carolina....Maybe Burns, the #9 and more? I have a feeling Carolina will go crazy for our pick.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
You trade earlier as the free agency season opens before those who miss out on a vet then focus on the draft. That would be the pov of the other clubs.

This is an interesting QB class.
Young has everything expect for size. He measured in at 5’10 and 1/4. But I think everyone expected him to be under 6 feet and likely shorter than Russ Wilson who is 5’10 and 3/4.
Stroud had a strong combine and had a great game vs the best team in the ncaa in Georgia.
Richardson showed his raw physical ability at the combine. Issue with him is what happened to the Bears and Fields. If you sit AR for 2023 are you certain you are running it back with the same GM, HC and OC if the HC is a defensive guy? You worry about the OC for a defensive HC getting another job for 2024. What is the point of taking AR and sitting him if in 2024 you ask him to learn a new playbook and offense? You want the QB to grow in the same offence vs changing it up from year 1 to 2.
Levis was just ok at the combine. A few missed throws. Didn’t wow as much. But it’s just the combine for now.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I highly doubt Texas moves 2 and 12 to get to 1, but if they are dead set on someone and are afraid of the Bears selling to someone else, I could see it.

plasmonresonance

Jul 28, 2015
I highly doubt Texas moves 2 and 12 to get to 1, but if they are dead set on someone and are afraid of the Bears selling to someone else, I could see it.
Indy could easily counter with #4, #36 and a '24 first. I think Poles has said getting a future 1st is highly desireable; 'course he's not going to be definitive in anything he says right now.

Poles told Peter King that he got three offers during the combine and knows he can get both a '24 and '25 first (no mention of the teams involved).

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Indy could easily counter with #4, #36 and a '24 first. I think Poles has said getting a future 1st is highly desireable; 'course he's not going to be definitive in anything he says right now.

Poles told Peter King that he got three offers during the combine and knows he can get both a '24 and '25 first (no mention of the teams involved).

Browns could beat that with #2, #33 and Browns 2024 1st

As for underlined the only team that makes sense with regard is the Texans and I imagine getting 3 1sts would not be a 1 spot jump.

So, if this is true my guess would be the Texans want #1 but also want to hold onto #2 and are offering own #12 (Acquired in Watson deal) + Browns 2024 (Acquired in Watson deal) + Texans 2025 1st as basis for deal

Historically though teams relinquishing additional 1st also move other picks for value reasons and Bears may be wary of moving down from #1 to #12 without the Texans 2024 pick in deal

So maybe to equalize value this would be deal

#1 for #12 + #33 (Texans 2nd round pick) + #65 (Texans 3rd round pick) + Browns 2024 1st + Texans 2025 1st

- Texans draft QB with #1 pick and Anderson with #2 pick and feel safe not having to give up next year's 1st in deal

- Bears drop to #12 but end up with two future 1st rounders and additional picks for a rebuild that well needs a lot of talent to be infused into roster

I would do that deal involving the two additional 1sts' + 2nd + 3rd to drop down to #12.

I would prefer if dropping to #12 for it to be Texans 2024 + Texans 2025 which to me would have greater potential given Texans even with QB/Anderson are still more than likely to be top 10 picking team in 2024 but suspect Texans GM is trying to hold onto 2024 Texans 1st and give away Browns 1st instead because he expects Browns to be better next year than they were this year

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
You said browns and I was very confused

I think most likely spot is trading down with Carolina and getting 9 and 2 1sts. I’m warming to the idea of taking JSN at 9

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
You said browns and I was very confused

I think most likely spot is trading down with Carolina and getting 9 and 2 1sts. I’m warming to the idea of taking JSN at 9

Yeah, I realized it getting Browns/Texans mixed up a few times as I meant Texans but was using Brown picks acquired by Texans.

I am not sure Carolina is going to go for that and they dont have the additional 1st in 2024 to use as chip potentially that Texans do

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad