OT: Bears & NFL Talk 90

Status
Not open for further replies.

plasmonresonance

Jul 28, 2015
Up to now, Poles hasn't come across as a complete buffoon. So I'd be a bit surprised if they don't get something done. If the D had other mainstays with Pro-Bowl level talent, or if R Smith was in his late 20's or if they were cap strapped, maybe I could understand not re-signing. But none of that applies in Roquan's case. At only 25 yrs old, he still has several good years ahead.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
I'm a bit torn on this. I think Roquan is a very good player, and certainly a lot better than what we have. That said, I'm not sure he's one of the very best players in the league at his position and I'm not sure it makes sense to commit massive money to a LB. On the other hand, it's not like we don't have a lot of cap space to work with.

Obviously Roquan has leaked stuff about the details of the contract, and the main issue appears to be that it is backloaded and won't make him the highest paid LB in the league right now? I know the NFL is sometimes a case of the most recent star to hit the market will be the highest paid, regardless of if they're really the best at the position.

I don't know, I see it from both sides, but it seems clear the Bears are offering him a lot of money, Roquan just doesn't like the structure.

It also probably doesn't help that Roquan is his own agent, so it all feels more personal from that perspective.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
This is so Bears. If ever a franchise needed new owners, it’s decades overdue.

Reactions: Pez68

plasmonresonance

Jul 28, 2015
Poles just addressed the media about Smith business. Not much other than he thought the Bears offer hadn't disrespected Roquan and they thought they would be further along in negotiations than they are.

Until either side puts out the numbers they're talking about, nobody knows who is being unreasonable.

"">

Last edited:

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
He absolutely is one of the best players at his position
I guess I left the definition a bit vague, but to me, he's not in the conversation for being the best linebacker in the game. If there's a tier 1 of the top ~5 guys in the league, he's either at the very bottom of that tie,r but most likely at the top of the next tier.

Like I said, I think he's very good, but to me he's not up there with the best of the best.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
I guess I left the definition a bit vague, but to me, he's not in the conversation for being the best linebacker in the game. If there's a tier 1 of the top ~5 guys in the league, he's either at the very bottom of that tie,r but most likely at the top of the next tier.

Like I said, I think he's very good, but to me he's not up there with the best of the best.
32 teams, a mix of 4/3 and 3/4 defenses.
I’d say the the 5th or 6th best (just using your opinion) of 110 linebackers is up there with the best of the best.

Clownish

Jan 1, 2014
32 teams, a mix of 4/3 and 3/4 defenses.
I’d say the the 5th or 6th best (just using your opinion) of 110 linebackers is up there with the best of the best.
The most accurate and scientific way is to consult Madden 23 ratings, which has him sixth among linebackers:

1. Fred Warner, 49ers: 94

2. Demario Davis, Saints: 93

3. Lavonte David, Buccaneers: 92

4. Bobby Wagner, Rams: 91

5. Darius Leonard, Colts: 90

6. Roquan Smith, Bears: 89

T-7. Micah Parsons, Cowboys: 88

T-7. Eric Kendricks, Vikings: 88

9. De'Vondre Campbell, Packers: 87

10. Devin White, Buccaneers: 85

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
If he wants to be the highest paid linebacker….not sure I’d go there
I know I initially made the point and it has caused some nitpicking on exactly how good he is, but your post is basically what I was after.

1. He's looking for a deal that would pay him in the $18-20 million range per season.

2. We'd be committing that money to a non-premium position (QB, WR, LT, pass rusher, CB). Obviously we don't really have a lot of other guys that need to be paid at those positions, and we have a lot of cap, but it's about where you want money to be committed long term.

Adam Hoge made a point in a similar vein yesterday. If you were to trade Roquan, what would you get back? Very likely a 2nd rounder, and maybe at the very most a late 1st? Compare that to when CBs or WRs get traded and you can see how the NFL values the position overall.

I'm not saying I would or would not sign him, but I do think there are reasons to be hesitant in going out and just making him the highest paid LB in the league.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Schefter is a mouthpiece of league

So, it's likely he is being fed information that owners want out there

I would want a more reliable voice to chime in

Bears don't deserve benefit of doubt on anything at this point

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Roquan had issues with his rookie contract too once upon a time and held out. He also had a questionable "car accident" too and off the field issues that the Bears kept hush hush. I side with the players 99.9% of the time when it comes to negotiations but Roquan does have history of this.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
Schefter is a mouthpiece of league

So, it's likely he is being fed information that owners want out there

I would want a more reliable voice to chime in

Bears don't deserve benefit of doubt on anything at this point
How is that any different than Roquan using Rap as his personal mouth piece?

I think the point is both sides are trying to use the media to get their side of the story out.

plasmonresonance

Jul 28, 2015
While the Bears ownership is questionable when it comes to running a football organization, they generally open their pocketbook to pay the players. Some of the recent contracts have even been overpays.

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
Ro Smith is basically throwing a hissy fit. Let others said, most of the time I will side with the players on situations like this but Ro is making it easy to side Poles.

This is what happens when a NFL player decides to act as his own agent. He has a fool for a client.

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
I dont know how anyone can take bears management side. Maybe its just posturing by Roquon to get a couple extra bucks. He is going to another losing season he doesnt owe them a thing.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
5D4875A3-F686-448B-9BCE-51D7AE7CB1B6.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad