OT: Bears & NFL Talk 89 - Nagy & Pace fired!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
It’s amazing to see people compare Kyle Murray to Lamar Jackson but say josh Allen is different, literally the entire point of my comment is this. White qbs can read defenses, black qbs are just runners that can’t play the position

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
It’s amazing to see people compare Kyle Murray to Lamar Jackson but say josh Allen is different, literally the entire point of my comment is this. White qbs can read defenses, black qbs are just runners that can’t play the position
Russell Wilson can definitely read a defense, so could Cam Newton and if you go back far enough, McNabb and Culpepper.

Trubisky can't read a defense and neither could Allen during his first 2 seasons. And then there were others who just sucked like Bortles and Ponder.

Being able to read a defense is the single most important aspect of being a QB in the NFL.

There are QBs who just suck and most of it comes down to that.

If people want to rail on Murray and Jackson a fair criticism is that QBs don't last long in the NFL unless they eventually pick their spots to run and avoid contact. Both are shortish and skinny, and the NFL is a large man's game. This is what killed Newton's career. He was built like a tank and it didn't matter.

They have to evolve a Russell Wilson type game to have a long career.

Last edited:
Reactions: Backyard Hockey

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
Russell Wilson can definitely read a defense, so could Cam Newton and if you go back far enough, McNabb and Culpepper.

Trubisky can't read a defense and neither could Allen during his first 2 seasons. And then there were others who just sucked like Bortles and Ponder.

Being able to read a defense is the single most important aspect of being a QB in the NFL.

There are QBs who just suck and most of it comes down to that.

If people want to rail on Murray and Jackson a fair criticism is that QBs don't last long in the NFL unless they eventually pick their spots to run and avoid contact. Both are shortish and skinny, and the NFL is a large man's game. This is what killed Newton's career. He was built like a tank and it didn't matter.

They have to evolve a Russell Wilson type game to have a long career.
Kyler murray is shortish, but definitely not skinny.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Cam showed what?

He was pretty shitty passer most of his career and was guy who struggled if you took away his running options and forced him to throw from pocket

Cam had awful accuracy on short and medium throws
Shitty passers don't throw for 4000 yds as a rookie and win NFL MVP.
Cam's career was derailed by injury, no doubt in my mind. He didn't adapt the way he needed to, quickly enough.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Shitty passers don't throw for 4000 yds as a rookie and win NFL MVP.
Cam's career was derailed by injury, no doubt in my mind. He didn't adapt the way he needed to, quickly enough.
There's so much more to it than blanket pass yards. What was his completion percentage? About 60% and his Yards per catch? Over 13 which is quite high. Meaning he through deep a lot.

Fields has a high Y/catch too this year, higher than anyone in Nagys offenses because he's good at the deep game. But if all he becomes is a guy who can just hit deep passes and can run at times, they won't have sustained great success.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
969D66E9-4617-4471-9966-47340D60EE20.jpeg

Down to 15 candidates left

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015

That's quite a stretch there super chief.

I see people talking only about Kyler Murray and Lamar Jackson. Are they talking about Russell Wilson too?

And Josh Allen IS different. The fact that Lamar Jackson isn't a solid pocket passer has nothing to do with white or black. It has to due with reality.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
Kyler Murray has passed for over 3700 yards each season for 3 seasons, John Elway did that 3 times in 16 years. Murray (had he not missed games this year) would have attempted over 520 passing attempts each season for 3 years, Elway did that 3 times in 16 years. But Elway is of course a pure pocket passer and Murray is the running QB, weird.

You are honestly comparing QB play in today's era vs. when Elway played?

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015

You are really extrapolating.

Trubisky is white. He can't read a defense, but can run. Fields is black, he's struggled to read a defense, but can run.

Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady are white and can read defenses better than anyone who has ever played the game. Baker Mayfield is white but can't read a D for shit. Neither can Jared Goff.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
You are really extrapolating.

Trubisky is white. He can't read a defense, but can run. Fields is black, he's struggled to read a defense, but can run.

Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady are white and can read defenses better than anyone who has ever played the game. Baker Mayfield is white but can't read a D for shit. Neither can Jared Goff.

this started because someone said qbs like Lamar Jackson and kyler Murray can’t win, it 100% has to do with race because the biggest thing those two guys have in common is their skin color.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010

I see people talking only about Kyler Murray and Lamar Jackson. Are they talking about Russell Wilson too?

And Josh Allen IS different. The fact that Lamar Jackson isn't a solid pocket passer has nothing to do with white or black. It has to due with reality.

Josh Allen completes a lower percentage of his passes for shorter distances and run mores but yes it’s josh Allen that is the pocket passer, kyler is just an athlete playing qb, got it

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012

Aren't you the same guy who made fun of Aqib Talib because of "how he talked" in the booth coming from a Muslim background and growing up in Texas most of his life? Yea you might want to sit this one out "super chief".

I rarely agree with @Illinihockey but he is right on the money here.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
this started because someone said qbs like Lamar Jackson and kyler Murray can’t win, it 100% has to do with race because the biggest thing those two guys have in common is their skin color.

Lamar Jackson has been hurt, but the knock on him is he cant' read a D and be a real pocket passer. Won't win the big trophy if he can't. That is accurate.

Murray has shown flashes of brilliance. He also trailed off considerably at the end of the season. He was dreadful in the game the other night. The pick 6 from the end zone was the worst decision you'll EVER see a QB make. Lots of expectations on him. Until he wins when it matters, he can't win.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
Aren't you the same guy who made fun of Aqib Talib because of "how he talked" in the booth coming from a Muslim background and growing up in Texas most of his life? Yea you might want to sit this one out "super chief".

I rarely agree with @Illinihockey but he is right on the money here.

Defending Aqib Talib's broadcasting is a weird hill to die on.

You know who else thought he was terrible? Everyone on the planet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad