OT: Bears & NFL Talk 77

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Over $400 million being reported for mahomes. Might have a clause in his contract for his money to be tied to cap percentage.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Over $400 million being reported for mahomes. Might have a clause in his contract for his money to be tied to cap
percentage.

10 years $450 million. $140 million in injury guarantee. Plus his remaining 2 years of his rookie deal gives a total value of $476 million.
Biggest deal in sports history surpassing trout's deal with the angels.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois

Man alive, that is a lot of dough. He deserves a huge payday, but will assuredly be interesting to see how Kansas City manages with such a massive sunk cost (albeit obviously for an exceptional QB).

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
Coming here to post this. How could Bears fans stand Pace remaining the GM? :facepalm:

Because he is a good GM who has a major sin on passing on Mahomes for Tribusy. That is his only major fault during his tenure with the Bears. Graham, Glennon were/are short term mistakes, but every team makes those mistakes.

Overall, I am satisfied with Pace. Could he be better? Like all GMs, in all sports, yeah, but he could be Phil Emery bad too.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Because he is a good GM who has a major sin on passing on Mahomes for Tribusy. That is his only major fault during his tenure with the Bears. Graham, Glennon were/are short term mistakes, but every team makes those mistakes.

Overall, I am satisfied with Pace. Could he be better? Like all GMs, in all sports, yeah, but he could be Phil Emery bad too.
Missing on the QB is a fireable offense. It is what it is.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Bears fans right now:

tenor.gif

Oh man lol. Would have been like someone trading up in Mcdavids draft and selecting Strome ahead of him.

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
I think you'd find that the fanbase isn't remotely satisfied with Pace, imho.

Other than missing on QB so far, what has Pace done to warrant dissatisifcation? Pace has done more good things for the Bears than bad. And if people cannot see that, then maybe they would be ok with having Phil Emery back as GM.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Other than missing on QB so far, what has Pace done to warrant dissatisifcation? Pace has done more good things for the Bears than bad. And if people cannot see that, then maybe they would be ok with having Phil Emery back as GM.
The QB is all that matters. It's the single most important position in all of sports. If you can't get at the very least competence at the position you aren't winning jack shit.

Missing on a QB in the top 10 is a fireable offense for a GM. You can't convince me otherwise. Once it's clear your guy sucks it's time to go bye bye.

Comparing Pace to Emery is like winning the tallest midget contest. Let's shoot higher, no? Emery to Pace is going from god awful to just bad. Let's not reward incompetence m'kay?

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
I don't, he deserved to be fired after 2019 but there is a large group of people that think that continuity>accountability.
I haven't heard anyone say continuity > accountability.

To me, the Bears had one of the most dangerous young teams in the NFL two seasons ago. It obviously fell apart last year. I'm willing to give him one season to try to prove last year was the fluke. If they suck again, then maybe 2018 will prove to be the fluke. Either way, it's put up or shut up time for Ryan Pace.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
The QB is all that matters. It's the single most important position in all of sports. If you can't get at the very least competence at the position you aren't winning jack shit.

Missing on a QB in the top 10 is a fireable offense for a GM. You can't convince me otherwise. Once it's clear your guy sucks it's time to go bye bye.

Comparing Pace to Emery is like winning the tallest midget contest. Let's shoot higher, no? Emery to Pace is going from god awful to just bad. Let's not reward incompetence m'kay?
Then the entire process should be altered on who you hire to run a team. Just put highly successful qb coaches amd evaluators up at the gm and not people who scouted all across the game.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
I haven't heard anyone say continuity > accountability.

To me, the Bears had one of the most dangerous young teams in the NFL two seasons ago. It obviously fell apart last year. I'm willing to give him one season to try to prove last year was the fluke. If they suck again, then maybe 2018 will prove to be the fluke. Either way, it's put up or shut up time for Ryan Pace.
Agreed, nobody wanted Pace fired before the start of the 2019 season (OK, maybe some did, but by and large he was viewed favorably).

Undoubtedly the team took a major step back in 2019 though. I think there was a case for him to be fired after last season but I also think there's a case for him to keep his job this year to try and get things right.

It's actually probably a good thing they didn't fire him with COVID and all. Would have been extremely challenging to try and build a new front office right now. I also feel first year head coaches are in a very difficult position.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

Pretty much every GM misses on a QB. Many miss on multiple before finding one that is serviceable. It's such a crap-shoot on who will truly develop into an elite QB, and who won't. Or even how many will be NFL starter quality, and how many won't. How many QBs were drafted top 10 who fizzled out, never made it, or are basically average game managers at the NFL level? How many turn into elite QBs?

You do this all the time, honestly. You rush into opinions, and then that opinion looks ridiculous later on. See: Moncada being a bust after like half a season in the majors.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Pretty much every GM misses on a QB. Many miss on multiple before finding one that is serviceable. It's such a crap-shoot on who will truly develop into an elite QB, and who won't. Or even how many will be NFL starter quality, and how many won't. How many QBs were drafted top 10 who fizzled out, never made it, or are basically average game managers at the NFL level? How many turn into elite QBs?

You do this all the time, honestly. You rush into opinions, and then that opinion looks ridiculous later on. See: Moncada being a bust after like half a season in the majors.

This.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

I'd argue that it's literally the hardest position in pro sports to evaluate and predict, and therefore the hardest position to draft in all of sports. College success ≠ NFL success. The game is completely different, and moves like 10x faster.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I am 100% confident that had we drafted Mahomes he wouldn’t be anywhere near as good as he’s been.
I agree. It's all about the Coach/QB marriage.
I think Trubisky would be better if SF kept their pick and took him. He seems like a perfect fit for a Kyle Shanahan offense. Would he be great? Probably not, but he'd be at least average to good.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I am 100% confident that had we drafted Mahomes he wouldn’t be anywhere near as good as he’s been.

I mean, he wasn't even considered a safe, elite QB pick at the time of the draft, IIRC. He had a reputation as a gunslinger, having some accuracy issues, and some decision-making issues. I think his comps were basically Matthew Stafford at the time. He also had the rushing at the NFL level durability concerns that come with all QBs who tend to use their legs a lot. He was considered high risk/high reward.

Reactions: RayP

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I mean, he wasn't even considered a safe, elite QB pick at the time of the draft, IIRC. He had a reputation as a gunslinger, having some accuracy issues, and some decision-making issues. I think his comps were basically Matthew Stafford at the time. He also had the rushing at the NFL level durability concerns that come with all QBs who tend to use their legs a lot. He was considered high risk/high reward.

I really think he ended up in the absolute perfect spot with Andy Reid and being able to sit a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad