OT: Bears & NFL Talk 77

Status
Not open for further replies.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
What games are you having us winning, assuming solid defense and either good or bad offense? Especially if our defense takes a step back in any way from being elite to merely good. I don't see really anyting controversial about a .500 ceiling and a horrible floor.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
I've never been into the whole 'pick all the wins' game, but to me there's few guaranteed losses on the schedule. I think they could win any of the green:

Sunday, Sept. 13 at Detroit, noon
Sunday, Sept. 20 VS. N.Y. GIANTS, NOON
Sunday, Sept. 27 at Atlanta, noon
Sunday, Oct. 4 VS. INDIANAPOLIS, NOON
Thursday, Oct. 8 VS. TAMPA BAY, 7:20 PM (road teams don't win on TNF)
Sunday, Oct. 18 at Carolina, noon*

Monday, Oct. 26 at L.A. Rams, 7:15 pm
Sunday, Nov. 1 VS. NEW ORLEANS, 3:25 PM*
Sunday, Nov. 8 at Tennessee, noon*
Monday, Nov. 16 VS. MINNESOTA, 7:15 PM (won with Daniel last year)

BYE WEEK
Sunday, Nov. 29 at Green Bay, 7:20 pm*
Sunday, Dec. 6 VS. DETROIT, NOON*
Sunday, Dec. 13 VS. HOUSTON, NOON*
Sunday, Dec. 20 at Minnesota, noon*
Sunday, Dec. 27 at Jacksonville, noon*
Sunday, Jan. 3 VS. GREEN BAY, NOON*

Making this big for emphasis:

2-14 is a f***ing joke.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Hence why I said that their bottom was 2-14, I'm saying that's worst case scenario. I'd put 8-8 as their ceiling (agreeing with your greens except giving odds to Carolina and especially Tennessee in their homes) with the truth in the middle, probably in the six-win range.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
LOL

They won 8 games with:
* A really hard schedule
* Hicks out basically all year
* As bad of QB play as you could possibly have

Where does all this regression come from?
1. The Bears defense, since Urlacher/Briggs/Tillman retired, has been bad at creating turnovers with the lone exception of 2018.
2. The Bears are the only team in the NFCN that got worse this offseason instead of better, on paper.
3. I agree with Matt Miller about the Bears having one of, if not the worst offensive lines in the NFL.
4. I'd take any QB situation in the NFL over the Bears' situation. I can't think off the top of my head who I'd rather have Trubisky/Foles over, and yes, that includes Minshew/Glennon because I think that Minshew could be better than either Foles or Trubisky, and proved so as a rookie. Stidham has Belichick so that's already an upgrade.

When you have the combination of the worst QB tandem in the NFL and the worst offensive line in the NFL, then you have a problem. Could I see them as a bottom five team even with the defense? Yeah, because they have the ability to lose games 20-17, 17-13 and even 13-10. And really, I don't mind if they're the worst team in the NFL this year because then they get Trevor Lawrence.

That being said, I don't see Nagy being gone unless Pace gets whacked. One can only hope.

Last edited:

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
1. The Bears defense, since Urlacher/Briggs/Tillman retired, has been bad at creating turnovers with the lone exception of 2018.
2. The Bears are the only team in the NFCN that got worse this offseason instead of better, on paper.
3. I agree with Matt Miller about the Bears having one of, if not the worst offensive lines in the NFL.
4. I'd take any QB situation in the NFL over the Bears' situation. I can't think off the top of my head who I'd rather have Trubisky/Foles over, and yes, that includes Minshew/Glennon because I think that Minshew could be better than either Foles or Trubisky, and proved so as a rookie. Stidham has Belichick so that's already an upgrade.

When you have the combination of the worst QB tandem in the NFL and the worst offensive line in the NFL, then you have a problem. Could I see them as a bottom five team even with the defense? Yeah, because they have the ability to lose games 20-17, 17-13 and even 13-10. And really, I don't mind if they're the worst team in the NFL this year because then they get Trevor Lawrence.

That being said, I don't see Nagy being gone unless Pace gets whacked. One can only hope.
I've seen it said on here several times and am not following along so closely but how have they got worse on paper?

I'm failing to see what that keeps being said but based on what they lost? The only starters I'm aware of that are gone are Dix and Amukamara who people were never too happy with as a 2nd CB anyway.

And thats all I see unless I'm missing other names. And this is from coming from mostly people i figure think Floyd was trash, but I think the teams run defense could suffer some more without him as he was great there, just a terrible pass rusher though. But every position seems better or the same but 2nd CB and Safety.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I figured it was a given that the Bears had Mitch far ahead of anyone else on their draft board given that they traded up to get him, but man....

.... not even having a chat with another very highly ranked QB prospect is pretty bad....

And believe me, I don't want to touch the underlying context with a ten foot poll.

Reactions: ClydeLee

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I've seen it said on here several times and am not following along so closely but how have they got worse on paper?

I'm failing to see what that keeps being said but based on what they lost? The only starters I'm aware of that are gone are Dix and Amukamara who people were never too happy with as a 2nd CB anyway.

And thats all I see unless I'm missing other names. And this is from coming from mostly people i figure think Floyd was trash, but I think the teams run defense could suffer some more without him as he was great there, just a terrible pass rusher though. But every position seems better or the same but 2nd CB and Safety.

Jaylon Johnson, Kevin Toliver and anyone else for the 2nd CB position haven't proven shit yet. Until they do, Amukamara is better than they are.

Robert Quinn is only effective as a pass rusher as a DE in a 4-3 setup and is bad as an OLB in a 3-4. He's not an upgrade over Floyd, mostly because he has sucked as a 3-4 OLB. Given his age, he could actually be a downgrade there.

HHCD>Gipson, that's a downgrade.

Kyle Long retiring is a downgrade, if only for the games he was healthy.

Mitch Trubisky with more film on his weaknesses is a downgrade. He could be even worse than last year, and Foles sucked in Jacksonville and got benched for Minshew, a 6th round rookie.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
The ceiling is absolutely higher than 8 wins lol

Realistically I don't think it's that huge a stretch to see 10 wins. Calling 8 wins the ceiling is comical.
Exactly. They won 8 last year and added a another option at qb. I get not being excited about this team and I certainly could see them winning less than 8. But every team that didn't have any huge changes can certainly win a game or 2 more than they did last year. Nothing between 6-10 wins would surprise me. They are in that middle blob of teams that with a couple of breaks one way or the other could maybe get in the playoffs or pick in the top 10.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Jaylon Johnson, Kevin Toliver and anyone else for the 2nd CB position haven't proven shit yet. Until they do, Amukamara is better than they are.

Robert Quinn is only effective as a pass rusher as a DE in a 4-3 setup and is bad as an OLB in a 3-4. He's not an upgrade over Floyd, mostly because he has sucked as a 3-4 OLB. Given his age, he could actually be a downgrade there.

Mitch Trubisky with more film on his weaknesses is a downgrade. He could be even worse than last year, and Foles sucked in Jacksonville and got benched for Minshew, a 6th round rookie.
Foles broke his collar bone after throwing 8 passes last year. I'm not expecting him to be great by any means but better than Mitch last year isn't some unrealistic bar to clear.

I love Long but he was really bad last year.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Foles broke his collar bone after throwing 8 passes last year. I'm not expecting him to be great by any means but better than Mitch last year isn't some unrealistic bar to clear.

I love Long but he was really bad last year.
Yeah, but he came back late in the season and got benched for Minschew after about 5 quarters. That's all they had to see before they'd seen enough. But who knows? Maybe Foles is a system QB and Reid tree systems are the only ones he's good in.

In any event, Foles is probably going to be serviceable at worst, but whether or not any more upside exists is the question. I think they're going to have a difficult time scoring points and forcing turnovers defensively.

If they start the season with Trubisky I could see the season going south in a hurry.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012

Some seem like stretches but I see the point.

If anything was being sensibly sought from the QB play it would be to play Trubisky like he did 2 years ago. They actually can have potential TightEnd passing options and start with him being mobile and healthy so he can move. Is that a good option, not really but it can be the type to keep the ball and not overload the defense again better than the setup last year began with.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Just looking at the Bears schedule for the first time. Very easy first 6 weeks.... could easily be 5-1 or 4-2.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Just looking at the Bears schedule for the first time. Very easy first 6 weeks.... could easily be 5-1 or 4-2.

It does not look bad at all depending on the progress of their opponents, really hard to tell. I have to imagine the Rams are a better team than last year. Green Bay always plays us tough and Detroit can be a wildcard. We get Brady in week 3!

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
It does not look bad at all depending on the progress of their opponents, really hard to tell. I have to imagine the Rams are a better team than last year. Green Bay always plays us tough and Detroit can be a wildcard. We get Brady in week 3!

Yeah, we’ll see. I still think they’re a .500 team because of the offensive line.... but those first six weeks are cupcake soft that the defense could probably win those games.

Reactions: H3ckt1k

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL

The schedule looks weak right now. Of course, who knows what teams jump up or regress this year.

I expect the Bears to have a good season. And the negativity around here is annoying. It's easy to predict bad things. You're going to be right more often than not taking the low road. But who wants to be that way? My God, how depressing.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Saints release Guard Earl Watford. He would look good in a bears uniform. Also he's a ex saint player pace loves him some of that.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Giants deandre baker and seahawks db quinton Dunbar have arrest warrants issued for them for armed robbery.
They took $7k in cash and two watches worth $25k & 17k from a party.

You can give people life changing money but you can't fix stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad