OT: Bears & NFL Talk 77

Status
Not open for further replies.

Panzerspitze

Mar 4, 2010
I am 100% confident that had we drafted Mahomes he wouldn’t be anywhere near as good as he’s been.

That I 100% could see, primarily because Nagy is not Andy Reed-lite either (you can't convince me otherwise). Still, a far safer choice than the 1-yr college "wonder" in Trubisky who still can't read NFL defenses, contrary to the observation of the man (Pace) who traded UP to grab.

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
The QB is all that matters. It's the single most important position in all of sports. If you can't get at the very least competence at the position you aren't winning jack shit.

Very short-sided view, imo. Good/great QB's DO NOT GROW ON TREES. You know how easily Rodgers could have JAG instead of a HOF? Or how easy for Brees not recovered from his rotator cuff and labrum injuries. Hell, Tom Brady was a 6th round pick. There's been what four HOF QB drafted after the 6th round. There is no guarantee that Mahomes would be an all-world QB with the Bears. What I am saying is.....finding a QB is a crap shoot, and not a bloody "fireable offense."

The job is about building the best possible team you can, not just a QB. QB is important...yes but not earth-shattering if you don't get a great one. The Bears went to the super bowl with Rex Grossman for pete sake.

Missing on a QB in the top 10 is a fireable offense for a GM. You can't convince me otherwise. Once it's clear your guy sucks it's time to go bye bye.

Then you would be going through coaches and QB like they were going out of style. The Bears have ALWAYS has problems developing QB. This is an organizational problem, not just a Pace problem. So missing on a top 10 QB is not a fireable offense.

Comparing Pace to Emery is like winning the tallest midget contest. Let's shoot higher, no? Emery to Pace is going from god awful to just bad. Let's not reward incompetence m'kay?

Pace has neither been incompetent or bad. This is the hot takes of all hot takes. That narrative is dense and without merit;. Pace has been solid. If you cannot see past your hatred of Pace to see that, then that's your problem. Could Pace be better? Yes. Could he be worst? Yes. I am perfectly fine to let Pace fix his mistake.

Panzerspitze

Mar 4, 2010
Sure, blame it on the Bears' organizational issues for missing on Mahomes. I read recently that Jim Finks got "cold feet" on Joe Montana in the third round. So I guess Pace has company. Except, Pace didn't get "cold fee" on Trubisky and gambled with a Top 3 pick completely wrong! When you go through 50 QBs in X number of years (IIRC from that same particle), being afraid of firing GMs for failing to fix (or otherwise address) the so-called The Most Important Position in football is chickenshit. Ducktapes like Foles ain't cutting it, as far as saving Pace's job security. It's not like Pace has done great with the other high picks either: Kevin White, Floyd, Shaheen... Anthony Miller, in spite of Bears fans pumping his tires in the GDTs here, has not much on-the-field numbers to show for it, nor according to my eye test.

Last edited:

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Very short-sided view, imo. Good/great QB's DO NOT GROW ON TREES. You know how easily Rodgers could have JAG instead of a HOF? Or how easy for Brees not recovered from his rotator cuff and labrum injuries. Hell, Tom Brady was a 6th round pick. There's been what four HOF QB drafted after the 6th round. There is no guarantee that Mahomes would be an all-world QB with the Bears. What I am saying is.....finding a QB is a crap shoot, and not a bloody "fireable offense."

The job is about building the best possible team you can, not just a QB. QB is important...yes but not earth-shattering if you don't get a great one. The Bears went to the super bowl with Rex Grossman for pete sake.

Then you would be going through coaches and QB like they were going out of style. The Bears have ALWAYS has problems developing QB. This is an organizational problem, not just a Pace problem. So missing on a top 10 QB is not a fireable offense.

Pace has neither been incompetent or bad. This is the hot takes of all hot takes. That narrative is dense and without merit;. Pace has been solid. If you cannot see past your hatred of Pace to see that, then that's your problem. Could Pace be better? Yes. Could he be worst? Yes. I am perfectly fine to let Pace fix his mistake.
With the way NFL salaries are structured getting a top tier QB is more important than ever. I'm pretty sure the days of winning a championship without either an elite QB or a good QB+elite defense are over. You're not winning a Super Bowl with a Brad Johnson or Trent Dilfer anymore.

I think the Vikings have pretty much proven that even a good QB+a good defense isn't enough anymore.

HOF caliber QBs win the majority of Super Bowls.
Since 1992 exactly 4 Super Bowls have been won by QBs that aren't HOFers and 2 by a guy who has a borderline case.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
I mean, he wasn't even considered a safe, elite QB pick at the time of the draft, IIRC. He had a reputation as a gunslinger, having some accuracy issues, and some decision-making issues. I think his comps were basically Matthew Stafford at the time. He also had the rushing at the NFL level durability concerns that come with all QBs who tend to use their legs a lot. He was considered high risk/high reward.
For some reason I'm remembering him being compared as a 'poor man's Brett Favre'.

Praetorian Caps

May 15, 2018
I am 100% confident that had we drafted Mahomes he wouldn’t be anywhere near as good as he’s been.

Absolutely. Andy Reid is a quarterback whisperer who has developed many a talented signal caller. He is a major reason why Mahomes is the best QB in the leauge. PM would have been good with Chicago but without Reid he wouldn't have reached the next level.

I believe Nagy can be a good coach and his wrinkle of Reid's WCO can work but he needs an already talented field general to operate it, properly. He isn't the type who can mold one from nothing to a superstar.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Face shields are far less effective than masks. They should be used in conjunction, not in place of.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
Sounds like a nuke is going to be dropped on the Washington whatever they're called...

Edit: It's a thread so follow the link to see the extent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad