Bears and NFL Talk LXVI - Tottenham-bound

Status
Not open for further replies.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Another question, how many times have guys played as bad as Gould did and came back to form? I can think of like Mason Crosby and that's it.

And at his age as well. He was like 32 and had a terrible season. Everyone assumed he was basically on his way out of the league.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
And at his age as well. He was like 32 and had a terrible season. Everyone assumed he was basically on his way out of the league.
Yup. At the time, I agreed with it. It didn't work out, but I think Gould himself has said that it was a catalyst to him reviving his career.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Oh good, more Pace & Gould talk.

200w.webp

Reactions: ChiHawks10

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
If that's your narrative ... that's your narrative. You're entitled to it. No one said that Pace shouldn't be scrutinized. However, a sole kicking decision does not make or break a GM. Only owners like James Dolan, Jimmy Haslam, Eugene Melnyk, etc. react like that.

That said, if your only ally is BWC with your "kicking analysis" ... you might want to ask who's talking the nonsense?

You want to hump Pace's leg in spite of a glaring weakness on the team that's on you. BCW has nothing to do with Bears fans concern as a whole regarding the kicker. How about staying on topic and not focusing on individual posters. Pace has given up a ton of draft capital in the past couple of seasons as well. I like Mitch but he is still far from a proven QB. Pace should have done something mid-season last year but he did not. It's still a major problem.

Bears owners won't do anything either way until his contract is up. They are satisfied with the status quo. I think all Bears fans want is this solved ASAP, it should not be a question heading into the season.

As far as Gould he did not have a good final season and fairly big cap hit for a kicker on a rebuilding team. Pace has had so many seasons to find a replacement.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Gould made 33 of 39 FG's his final year with Bears and kicked I believe most FG's that year in NFL

So he was far from bad. Infact he had rebounded from his previous year which was bad

Also releasing him at end of camp on eve of season was BS and nonsense especially since he had good camp and preseason

Hell he was voted ST captain by players before his release

The way Bears handled release of Gould was disgraceful and the bringing in of replacement has been mistake after mistake after mistake

If Bears wanted to move on they should have cut him in offseason and brought in kids

Also his replacement wasn't some kid so age as excuse is terrible defense of Pace. Barth was shitty soon to be 31 yr old who's only reason for being here was because Fox was buddies with him and coached him for one year in Denver

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
You want to hump Pace's leg in spite of a glaring weakness on the team that's on you. BCW has nothing to do with Bears fans concern as a whole regarding the kicker. How about staying on topic and not focusing on individual posters. Pace has given up a ton of draft capital in the past couple of seasons as well. I like Mitch but he is still far from a proven QB. Pace should have done something mid-season last year but he did not. It's still a major problem.

Bears owners won't do anything either way until his contract is up. They are satisfied with the status quo. I think all Bears fans want is this solved ASAP, it should not be a question heading into the season.

As far as Gould he did not have a good final season and fairly big cap hit for a kicker on a rebuilding team. Pace has had so many seasons to find a replacement.
LOL. Do you actually read responses? I'm not putting Pace on Rushmore. I said only 2 things:

1. Pace should be scrutinized. That said, who evaluates a GM on just a kicking decision? There are other decisions to evaluate.
2. Here's the thing about crazy. When you call everyone else nonsensical except yourself, most people would have some self awareness.

You're entitled to your opinions. I have no problem with having a debate with rational posters. Heck, I'm having one with MurrayBannerman regarding the Bulls. He comes with a rational angle ... even though I disagree. That said, there is no debate with you. You already have an agenda.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Pace releasing Gould was a mistake in hindsight for sure. The kicking situation hasn’t been good. Other than that he has done amazing things with this whole roster and team that wasn’t getting done by anyone else. Can’t dwell on the kicking when this Bears team is looking awesome. Be better BWC.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Pace releasing Gould was a mistake in hindsight for sure. The kicking situation hasn’t been good. Other than that he has done amazing things with this whole roster and team that wasn’t getting done by anyone else. Can’t dwell on the kicking when this Bears team is looking awesome. Be better BWC.

We are dwelling on kicking because it is still major issue and cost Bears dearly last year

Also lets hold off on the "Team is awesome stuff"

Team has some issues (RB , TE and K stick out) and will have entirely new coaching staff defensively. Lets not forget how different our D ended up after Rivera departed and various coaches were kicked to curb when Babich took over

If team regresses defensively its going to be major issue

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
We are dwelling on kicking because it is still major issue and cost Bears dearly last year

Also lets hold off on the "Team is awesome stuff"

Team has some issues (RB , TE and K stick out) and will have entirely new coaching staff defensively. Lets not forget how different our D ended up after Rivera departed and various coaches were kicked to curb when Babich took over

If team regresses defensively its going to be major issue

RB and TE are not issues. You are just making up issues.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
TE is very much issue with Burton and Shaheen

And we don't have a #1 RB so yes that is issue. Cohen is not an everydown back and we downgraded trading Howard

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
TE is very much issue with Burton and Shaheen

And we don't have a #1 RB so yes that is issue. Cohen is not an everydown back and we downgraded trading Howard

Burton was solid in his first year and Shaheen needs to stay healthy. They should improve in year two. TE is not a major issue.

Just disregard the upgrade the got in the draft and how Davis is a good fit for the offense. They upgraded RB this offseason.

Again you are making up issues.

The Bears have 1 issue and it is kicking.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
LOL. Do you actually read responses? I'm not putting Pace on Rushmore. I said only 2 things:

1. Pace should be scrutinized. That said, who evaluates a GM on just a kicking decision? There are other decisions to evaluate.
2. Here's the thing about crazy. When you call everyone else nonsensical except yourself, most people would have some self awareness.

You're entitled to your opinions. I have no problem with having a debate with rational posters. Heck, I'm having one with MurrayBannerman regarding the Bulls. He comes with a rational angle ... even though I disagree. That said, there is no debate with you. You already have an agenda.

I have no agenda other than GM responsibility is to fix the problem. You defend things to death when there needs to be a level of accountability. My original comment is Pace's job should be questioned if this happens again for the 19'/20' season is not all that crazy. The city will absolutely lose their mind if they are bounced from the playoffs again by a kicker.

I don't see the Bears going 12-4 again for a variety of reasons. Vic, NFC better, TE??, Luck with injuries and still don't have a kicker.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Hopefully the Bears find a good kicker in their tryouts. If it is still an issue during the season, hopefully Pace makes a trade to pluck a great kicker off a bad team. Correct me if I’m wrong, but my perception is that if the Bears offered a 3rd rounder, maybe even a 4th, it would be considered such an egregious overpayment that teams would be lining up to accept the trade.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I have no agenda other than GM responsibility is to fix the problem. You defend things to death when there needs to be a level of accountability. My original comment is Pace's job should be questioned if this happens again for the 19'/20' season is not all that crazy. The city will absolutely lose their mind if they are bounced from the playoffs again by a kicker.

I don't see the Bears going 12-4 again for a variety of reasons. Vic, NFC better, TE??, Luck with injuries and still don't have a kicker.
If the Bears go .500 ... they'll have far bigger problems than at kicker.

Everyone expects the record to fall due to the much tougher schedule. That said, no one really knows.

You did the same for Burton ... assumed things that weren't there. If Trubisky fails and the defense melts down ... yes, Pace will be under heavy pressure.

If owners make their GM decisions based on the city's irrational social media mob, we're in far bigger trouble than we thought. It would be like Jimmy Haslam picking Johnny Manziel because a homeless man told him to that morning of the draft.

No one disagrees that our kicking situation must get better. However, it's not the only thing to evaluate when it comes to Pace.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Montgomery is a stud and will show it this season. Only thing that would hold him back is injuries (god forbid).

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
If the Bears go .500 ... they'll have far bigger problems than at kicker.

Everyone expects the record to fall due to the much tougher schedule. That said, no one really knows.

You did the same for Burton ... assumed things that weren't there. If Trubisky fails and the defense melts down ... yes, Pace will be under heavy pressure.

If owners make their GM decisions based on the city's irrational social media mob, we're in far bigger trouble than we thought. It would be like Jimmy Haslam picking Johnny Manziel because a homeless man told him to that morning of the draft.

No one disagrees that our kicking situation must get better. However, it's not the only thing to evaluate when it comes to Pace.

Burton is till 5-6 weeks from participating per ESPN The entire timeline on his surgery is sketchy.

As long as he’s ready for Sept - they will certainly need him

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Burton is till 5-6 weeks from participating per ESPN The entire timeline on his surgery is sketchy.

As long as he’s ready for Sept - they will certainly need him
If Burton is still limping around by the season opener, you have all the right to second guess the Bears. I will too. That said, let's wait a bit before jumping all over them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad