Bears and NFL Talk LXVI - Tottenham-bound

Status
Not open for further replies.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I like this Hunger Games like competition for kicker on the Bears. If you can't handle the pressure and hit your kicks ... you're gone. That said, they still need to find a kicker.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Yes and we still have two more slugs in camp competing for slot

Reality is once again our kicking is a fiasco all because our GM and ex-HC got rid of a perfectly good kicker for no reason

Last edited:

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

Reality is once again are kicking is a fiasco all because our GM and ex-HC got rid of a perfectly good kicker for no reason

Do you know anything about the other two kickers? Can we get a scouting report?

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC

Reality is once again our kicking is a fiasco all because our GM and ex-HC got rid of a perfectly good kicker for no reason
Cutting Robbie Gould was a mistake. That said, even Robbie admitted he needed that kick in the butt. He was slacking ... not mine, that's Robbie's description.

If kicker is our biggest concern, that's not a bad situation. Decent kickers can be found through free agency ... even during the season. How do you think Robbie Gould was found?

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com

If the Bears have similar kicking issues this year Pace's job should be on the line. It's really inexcusable. At this point might as well hold a public try out. Huge concern here with TE.

On a side note, Raiders doing Hardknocks.

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
If the Bears have similar kicking issues this year Pace's job should be on the line. It's really inexcusable. At this point might as well hold a public try out. Huge concern here with TE.

That's right ... even if his coaching hire, Trubisky, and the defense works out beautifully ... if the kicker position is still a problem, the Bears should fire Ryan Pace.

Yeah ... that's how we should evaluate a football GM.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011

What would you do to solve this problem if you were in his shoes?

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
That's right ... even if his coaching hire, Trubisky, and the defense works out beautifully ... if the kicker position is still a problem, the Bears should fire Ryan Pace.

It’s certainly a blemish on his record, but I don’t think he should get fired. He’s built a great team.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Decent kickers can be found through free agency ... even during the season.?

If it is so easy why has the kicking situation been and continues to be a disaster for Bears? I mean if good kickers just grow on trees why has Pace failed so many years and thru so many kickers at this point?

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
If it is so easy why has the kicking situation been and continues to be a disaster for Bears? I mean if good kickers just grow on trees why has Pace failed so many years and thru so many kickers at this point?

I ask you the same question. What would you do to fix it?

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
It's not easy, but at least we can find one in UFA. Finding the best pass edge rusher in the NFL ... that's not so easy. If you don't believe me, ask Jon Gruden. Thankfully for Gruden, it looks like he found a kicker. The kicker who got cut from the Vikings last year.

Reactions: Giovi

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
It's not easy, but at least we can find one in UFA. Finding the best pass edge rusher in the NFL ... that's not so easy. If you don't believe me, ask Jon Gruden. Thankfully for Gruden, it looks like he found a kicker. The kicker who got cut from the Vikings last year.

What does JJ Watt or Jon Gruden have to do with Pace inability to find a quality kicker for 3 years now?

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com

You’re telling me if the Bears lose important games again like the playoffs due to a kicker again, Pace is fine because the rest of the team is good. What’s the point of having a decent team if he can’t solve this problem. Anyone giving him a pass two years in a row for this is an idiot.

He didn’t do enough when it was an issue last year. It’s not starting off well this year. Window is always short and NFC will be better this year

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
You’re telling me if the Bears lose important games again like the playoffs due to a kicker again, Pace is fine because the rest of the team is good. What’s the point of having a decent team if he can’t solve this problem. Anyone giving him a pass two years in a row for this is an idiot.

He didn’t do enough when it was an issue last year. It’s not starting off well this year. Window is always short and NFC will be better this year
Who's giving Pace a pass? However, I'm not going to evaluate my GM on just a kicking decision. Who does that in any business? You really make no sense. Pace deserves a negative check mark on the kicking decision. That said, there are plenty of other decisions to evaluate.

This is why social media is dangerous. You have posters who think 1 decision makes an entire evaluation for the year. That's called the mindless mob.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Who's giving Pace a pass? However, I'm not going to evaluate my GM on just a kicking decision. Who does that in any business? You really make no sense. Pace deserves a negative check mark on the kicking decision. That said, there are plenty of other decisions to evaluate.

This is why social media is dangerous. You have posters who think 1 decision makes an entire evaluation for the year. That's called the mindless mob.

You’re talking nonsense. Absolutely the GM should be scrutinized if he cannot solve the kicker position two years in a row on a decent team. His job should be on the line if it happens again.

You’re also assuming all the progress from last year will be repeated. Bears had one good season - let’s cool it before Pace is untouchable. Also concerned about the loss of Vic a bit but we will see.

Last edited:

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
You’re talking nonsense. Absolutely the GM should be scrutinized if he cannot solve the kicker position two years in a row on a decent team. His job should be on the line if it happens again.

You’re also assuming all the progress from last year will be repeated. Bears had one good season - let’s cool it before Pace is untouchable. Also concerned about the loss of Vic a bit but we will see.

Every team has a hole. No one says a GM should be fired for not being able to solve the nickel corner hole 2 years in a row, or a GM should be fired because the strong safety sucks.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC

If that's your narrative ... that's your narrative. You're entitled to it. No one said that Pace shouldn't be scrutinized. However, a sole kicking decision does not make or break a GM. Only owners like James Dolan, Jimmy Haslam, Eugene Melnyk, etc. react like that.

That said, if your only ally is BWC with your "kicking analysis" ... you might want to ask who's talking the nonsense?

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

Kicking has been issue now for 3 seasons

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
How many good kickers are there even there days?

Moving on from Gould made sense at the time, he didn’t have a very good season.

Unfortunately finding a better replacement hasn’t worked out. They spent the money on trying to find a replacement, can’t say they aren’t trying, they just haven’t found the solution yet.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
How many good kickers are there even there days?

Moving on from Gould made sense at the time, he didn’t have a very good season.

Unfortunately finding a better replacement hasn’t worked out. They spent the money on trying to find a replacement, can’t say they aren’t trying, they just haven’t found the solution yet.
Another question, how many times have guys played as bad as Gould did and came back to form? I can think of like Mason Crosby and that's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad