Not open for further replies.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Carlson - 29:33
Fever - 25:59
Alexeyev -21:24

So Caps nutritionist and PT staff need to work their best recovery voodoo tonight and tomorrow to get them physically ready

Reactions: SecretaryofDefense5

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Seems like they are out every way possible without both points
Actually, if Det and Pitt lose in regulation, we can also lose in OT and we would get in because we'd hold the 5th tiebreaker over Philly in that case.

Its this, in summation. Win any way and we're in. Lose in OT and need help from both Pitt and Det (must lose in regulation). Lose in regulation and we're out.

Kalopsia

Jun 25, 2018
Actually, if Det and Pitt lose in regulation, we can also lose in OT and we would get in because we'd hold the 5th tiebreaker over Philly in that case.

Its this, in summation. Win any way and we're in. Lose in OT and need help from both Pitt and Det (must lose in regulation). Lose in regulation and we're out.
Any type of loss by Detroit and Pitt gets us in if we lose in OT/SO. Pitt needs 2 points to tie us if we get the loser point, so even with an OT/SO loss they stay behind us, and Detroit could tie us with an OT/SO loss but they'd still lose on the regulation wins tiebreaker.

For as complicated as this all is, the scenarios for the Caps end up being pretty simple.
  • Win and they're in
  • Lose in OT/SO and they need both Detroit and Pitt to lose in any fashion to get in
  • Lose in regulation and they're out

Reactions: kicksavedave

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010

Tie-Breaking Procedure​

If two or more clubs are tied in points during the regular season, the standing of the clubs is determined in the following order:

1. The fewer number of games played (i.e., superior points percentage).

2. The greater number of games won, excluding games won in Overtime or by Shootout (i.e., 'Regulation Wins'). This figure is reflected in the RW column.

3. The greater number of games won, excluding games won by Shootout. This figure is reflected in the ROW column.

4. The greater number of games won by the Club in any manner (i.e., 'Total Wins'). This figure is reflected in the W column.

5. The greater number of points earned in games against each other among two or more tied clubs.

• For the purpose of determining standing for two or more Clubs that have not played an even number of games with one or more of the other tied Clubs, the first game played in the city that has the extra game (the 'odd game') shall not be included.
  • When more than two Clubs are tied, the percentage of available points earned in games among each other (and not including any 'odd games') shall be used to determine standing.
6. The greater differential between goals for and against (including goals scored in Overtime or awarded for prevailing in Shootouts) for the entire regular season. This figure is reflected in the DIFF column.

7. The greater number of goals scored (including goals scored in Overtime or awarded for prevailing in Shootouts) for the entire regular season. This figure is reflected in the GF column.

NOTE: In standings, a victory in a shootout counts as one goal for, while a shootout loss counts as one goal against.

So Philly is done right? Even if they win and Detroit loses, Detroit still wins the tie breaker.

ClevelandCapsfan

May 24, 2021
Per TSN.ca/nhl

If the Red Wings win, and the Capitals lose in regulation, Detroit will move back into the final wild-card spot needing just one more win over Montreal to clinch.

Man, the really tough part are the Flyers are rested...
Rested with Torts as coach?

ClevelandCapsfan

May 24, 2021
So the Flyers could be pulling the goalie in a tie game tomorrow? This is going to be fun
IMG_2678.gif

Empty Goal Net

Do I see another GOAT?
Feb 13, 2010
JFC. And again I say... can we just have wins and losses like a normal sport?
That's one way to go.
My biggest gripe is the inequity created by 3-point games. Instead of eliminating the loser point, allocate 5 points to each game.
- Win in regulations, get 5 points, loser 0.
- Win in OT, get 4, loser gets 1.
- Win in SO, get 3, loser gets 2.
If the league wants every game to have a "winner," don't give a team that wins a SO the same points that a team that wins in regulation gets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad