Beachbody Series Thread (Insanity Max 30 Released)

finnbalor*

Perhaps you could clarify some things behind this workout:

1. What is the total amount of time you spend exercising? This includes travel time to the gym. What is the time it takes you to leave your house, exercise, arrive back home?
2. What all are you doing at the gym? Lifts? Abs & lower back? Cardio?
3. Any other time spent during the week outside of the gym exercising?
4. You mentioned your weight (210 lbs). What is your measured (emphasis added) body fat percentage? Measured waist line? Height?
5. Any recent strength of fitness tests? Powerlifting meet results? Wingate test? Etc.

I'm just trying to get an accurate picture of your total strength/fitness level.

1. Not really relevant to new lifter, I'm a bit of gym rat, so I spend 7-10 hours in the gym a week, not necessary for someone new at all. I like lifting weights (didn't at first though).

2. I don't really do any cardio anymore, ectomorph (hence I was 145 when a runner).

For someone new, have a push (chest, tricep and shoulder day) so 5 x 5 on bench press, either some dips or close grip bench press and military press.

A pull day so back and biceps. Do rows, pull up/chin ups or lat pull downs (reverse the grip to sub for chin ups).

Leg day, squats (concentrate on developing good form more than weight in the long this will pay off big time), either deadlifts (again concentrate on form over load and don't do to failure) or weighted lunges add in some leg press (good ego boost because you can stack some plates).

So long as your making progress from month to month you're growing.

Throw in some weighted sit ups on a decline bench once or twice a week. You'll build good abs by getting a strong core stabilizing your the weight on squats, deadlifts and military press. Good form = good abs

3. Nice thing about weight lifting is that you grow by sitting around, when I'm active I just eat more.

4. I'm 6 feet tall, I can see my abs, I'm a bit fluffy but certainly not fat. A bit heavier because I'm chasing a 315 bench this year. I have a 34 waist (33 yo) and 17" arms (well 16.7 but I like to round up :P)

5. I don't compete, my current bench is 5 x 5 on 225, squat 315 for reps, my shoulders are my weak point so just push 60lbs dumbells for 10 reps.

I do a lot of isolation too but as you progress from year to year you increase the volume add stuff, compound lifts are the constant though, progressing at these lifts are top priority.

An easy enough program is starting strength, it's pretty straight forward and simple.

Last edited by a moderator:

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
What in the hell did this thread just turn into? For ****s sake...

My interpretation: one guy doesn't like the Beachbody programs, says they're pointless, and that lifting weights is the only way to get stronger/slim down/get results/whatever

I guess I've just been wasting my time doing bodyweight stuff. The slimming down that's occurred because of 8 weeks of Insanity Max:30 is all a lie. I'm such a sucker.

:rolleyes:

finnbalor*

Also on this easy thing, I take a week off pretty much every other month and a deload weak (which is necessary) at least once a month that is pretty much a walk in the park week.

So I don't get how what I'm suggesting is hard.

"One guy doesn't like beachbody"

I like having a beach body and programs like 5 3 1 and starting strength have stood the test of time.

finnbalor*

My interpretation: one guy doesn't like the Beachbody programs, says they're pointless, and that lifting weights is the only way to get stronger/slim down/get results/whatever

I guess I've just been wasting my time doing bodyweight stuff. The slimming down that's occurred because of 8 weeks of Insanity Max:30 is all a lie. I'm such a sucker.

:rolleyes:

Want to put up pictures of ourselves and let others decide what's best?

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Also on this easy thing, I take a week off pretty much every other month and a deload weak (which is necessary) at least once a month that is pretty much a walk in the park week.

So I don't get how what I'm suggesting is hard.

"One guy doesn't like beachbody"

I like having a beach body and programs like 5 3 1 and starting strength have stood the test of time.

Except that's not what I said lol, and you're saying the only way (or the best way) to achieve that is my lifting.

No one here has attempted to discredit SS or 5-3-1 but you're the only one saying that things like P90X and other programs like that aren't worth it. Well, they work for me, and for plenty of others as well. Maybe people just have different goals than you.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Want to put up pictures of ourselves and let others decide what's best?

No, because I don't see how that even remotely contributes to this discussion. There are plenty of variables that you would need to look at in order for a picture comparison to be worth it, even a little bit.

finnbalor*

No, because I don't see how that even remotely contributes to this discussion. There are plenty of variables that you would need to look at in order for a picture comparison to be worth it, even a little bit.

I'm comfortable doing it, just saying. Whining is such a bore.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
1. Not really relevant to new lifter, I'm a bit of gym rat, so I spend 7-10 hours in the gym a week, not necessary for someone new at all. I like lifting weights (didn't at first though).

2. I don't really do any cardio anymore, ectomorph (hence I was 145 when a runner).

For someone new, have a push (chest, tricep and shoulder day) so 5 x 5 on bench press, either some dips or close grip bench press and military press.

A pull day so back and biceps. Do rows, pull up/chin ups or lat pull downs (reverse the grip to sub for chin ups).

Leg day, squats (concentrate on developing good form more than weight in the long this will pay off big time), either deadlifts (again concentrate on form over load and don't do to failure) or weighted lunges add in some leg press (good ego boost because you can stack some plates).

So long as your making progress from month to month you're growing.

Throw in some weighted sit ups on a decline bench once or twice a week. You'll build good abs by getting a strong core stabilizing your the weight on squats, deadlifts and military press. Good form = good abs

3. Nice thing about weight lifting is that you grow by sitting around, when I'm active I just eat more.

4. I'm 6 feet tall, I can see my abs, I'm a bit fluffy but certainly not fat. A bit heavier because I'm chasing a 315 bench this year. I have a 34 waist (33 yo) and 17" arms (well 16.7 but I like to round up :P)

5. I don't compete, my current bench is 5 x 5 on 225, squat 315 for reps, my shoulders are my weak point so just push 60lbs dumbells for 10 reps.

I do a lot of isolation too but as you progress from year to year you increase the volume add stuff, compound lifts are the constant though, progressing at these lifts are top priority.

An easy enough program is starting strength, it's pretty straight forward and simple.

Okay, but it seems that your results are based more on 10 hours a week at the gym (travel time included?). A lot of people don't have that time. 45 minutes 3x per week sounds dreamy, but how (functionally) strong is your core really getting? Zero cardio? Some of us play sports that require massive aerobic and anaerobic efforts. 16" arms won't help one bit.

As for my perspective, I used to be a competitive powerlifter and was in the gym for 2hr/session 4x a week. We even had to train during the Steelers/Bengals playoff game since we already had our training scheduled first. I was squatting 485 at 195lbs training for the 181 class, but I did zero cardio and was shocked to see that I was actually 20% body fat (I needed A LOT of excess calories to gain strength/muscle). Bottom line is that I was super strong but very unhealthy.

Fast fwd to today and I don't even do squats anymore. I'm 165-170 and in by far the best shape I've ever been in (sub 10% body fat). I devote around 3hr/week to strength working out in my office (weighted pull ups/dips/push ups, handstand push ups, KB swings, various strength circuits, etc.) and another 3 hr/week at home on my bike trainer (MTB race training) and doing core work on rest days.

Advocating a program like Starting Strength is fine, but it's an incomplete picture as to what an individual needs to build a complete training program. Especially ones that participate in competitive sports and/or don't want to have to gain 10 lbs of bodyweight to increase their bench by 20 lbs.

finnbalor*

Okay, but it seems that your results are based more on 10 hours a week at the gym (travel time included?). A lot of people don't have that time. 45 minutes 3x per week sounds dreamy, but how (functionally) strong is your core really getting? Zero cardio? Some of us play sports that require massive aerobic and anaerobic efforts. 16" arms won't help one bit.

As for my perspective, I used to be a competitive powerlifter and was in the gym for 2hr/session 4x a week. We even had to train during the Steelers/Bengals playoff game since we already had our training scheduled first. I was squatting 485 at 195lbs training for the 181 class, but I did zero cardio and was shocked to see that I was actually 20% body fat (I needed A LOT of excess calories to gain strength/muscle). Bottom line is that I was super strong but very unhealthy.

Fast fwd to today and I don't even do squats anymore. I'm 165-170 and in by far the best shape I've ever been in (sub 10% body fat). I devote around 3hr/week to strength working out in my office (weighted pull ups/dips/push ups, handstand push ups, KB swings, various strength circuits, etc.) and another 3 hr/week at home on my bike trainer (MTB race training) and doing core work on rest days.

Advocating a program like Starting Strength is fine, but it's an incomplete picture as to what an individual needs to build a complete training program. Especially ones that participate in competitive sports and/or don't want to have to gain 10 lbs of bodyweight to increase their bench by 20 lbs.

Again I made it clear that it wasn't necessary to begin, training as I detailed put 100 pounds on my bench in my first year.

Those extra hours are me working on smaller muscles like lateral and rear delts and stuff to assist my compound lifts after they plateau. Totally unnecessary for new lifters. Made the majority of gains in my first year (like most people).

If you want to do cardio to endurance and weight loss ok, go running (it's free). Add it to the program.

Those are some great numbers, hats off. I'll ask this though, you should know better than anyone that it's better to be skinny fat at 205 than 165. A power lifter is always one good cut away from having a great physique. People going from nothing to working out might as well build a power base during their newbie gains phase.

I'd place emphasis that given your past you build something impressive to then cut around, people are skipping building a solid power/strength/muscle base with Shaun T. You did years of progressive gains. Infomercials don't offer such training.

You don't build a good body in 12 weeks.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Again I made it clear that it wasn't necessary to begin, training as I detailed put 100 pounds on my bench in my first year.

Those extra hours are me working on smaller muscles like lateral and rear delts and stuff to assist my compound lifts after they plateau. Totally unnecessary for new lifters. Made the majority of gains in my first year (like most people).

If you want to do cardio to endurance and weight loss ok, go running (it's free). Add it to the program.

Those are some great numbers, hats off. I'll ask this though, you should know better than anyone that it's better to be skinny fat at 205 than 165. A power lifter is always one good cut away from having a great physique. People going from nothing to working out might as well build a power base during their newbie gains phase.

I'd place emphasis that given your past you build something impressive to then cut around, people are skipping building a solid power/strength/muscle base with Shaun T. You did years of progressive gains. Infomercials don't offer such training.

You don't build a good body in 12 weeks.

Let's take a step back first. In terms of optimal health, most people need to lose body fat instead of gaining muscle. I'm speaking in terms of the entire population, regardless of age or sex. I've seen 45 year old guys at the gym who you can tell just read a Men's Health article about Stronglifts (or equivalent) and they go NOWHERE. Completely the wrong program for him and most of the population in my opinion.

That's where a structured program that also emphasizes cardio, flexibility, coordination, etc. would be way more beneficial (at least initially). I used to brush off the infomercial programs too, but I've seen too many people that I respect actually get good results from them. I recently tried a couple of T-25 workouts and was surprised how difficult they were. They kind of gained my respect (even if I disagree with some of the exercise selection choices).

Truthfully, I'm not sure which is better to do first (bulk or cut). If you aren't starting a bulk from a flat stomach, it's easy to miss how much fat you are potentially gaining. I'm 5'9" with a small frame (graduated high school at 130lbs). I was a skinnyfat 145 when I started training seriously and around 170 when I began powerlifting. Maybe I would have been better off getting lean and better coordinated before I started going for strength/bulk? If I had to do it all again I probably would opt for that. "Doing a cut" is harder than it sounds, and for me, it was impossible to maintain my strength. It just became a viscious cycle. Trying to get down to 181 while watching my lifts fall right before a meet was miserable and depressing.

Last edited:

finnbalor*

Let's take a step back first. In terms of optimal health, most people need to lose body fat instead of gaining muscle. I'm speaking in terms of the entire population, regardless of age or sex. I've seen 45 year old guys at the gym who you can tell just read a Men's Health article about Stronglifts (or equivalent) and they go NOWHERE. Completely the wrong program for him and most of the population in my opinion.

That's where a structured program that also emphasizes cardio, flexibility, coordination, etc. would be way more beneficial (at least initially). I used to brush off the infomercial programs too, but I've seen too many people that I respect actually get good results from them. I recently tried a couple of T-25 workouts and was surprised how difficult they were. They kind of gained my respect (even if I disagree with some of the exercise selection choices).

Truthfully, I'm not sure which is better to do first (bulk or cut). If you aren't starting a bulk from a flat stomach, it's easy to miss how much fat you are potentially gaining. I'm 5'9" with a small frame (graduated high school at 130lbs). I was a skinnyfat 145 when I started training seriously and around 170 when I began powerlifting. Maybe I would have been better off getting lean and better coordinated before I started going for strength/bulk? If I had to do it all again I probably would opt for that. "Doing a cut" is harder than it sounds, and for me, it was impossible to maintain my strength. It just became a viscious cycle. Trying to get down to 181 while watching my lifts fall right before a meet was miserable and depressing.

I'm not advocating magazines, I'm suggesting progressive gains, good diet and adequate sleep (pretty simple and easy enough for all).

Bulk or cut to begin, I mean if one is really overweight of course. I would consider healthy to be 15-25% bodyfat. Getting shredded is quite unhealthy and not able to naturally sustain for a long time for most people.

Having more muscle does mean burning more calories at rest.

I hear that those, cutting takes a toil on the ego but aesthetics matter to most (if we're being honest with ourselves). Sounds to me like you approach things the right way. Developing those lifts gives you more options to what kind of training you want given you've transformed yourself.

It takes 2-4, it's like rebuilding a franchise, p90x is like trying to take a short cut that bites you in the long run, IMHO.

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
Everyone's body is different and not one single thing works for everyone. I do think that weight lifting is something that anyone regardless of their fitness goals are should partake in if they can. Dead lifting, squatting, bench, shoulder press. Those are the big lifts that everyone should be able to do. Just because you squat once a week doesn't mean you need to be squatting 400 pounds.

I think a lot of people kind of get trapped in the mentality that they need to focus on one thing. You have people who only lift weights and dedicate minimal time to cardio. You have people who only do cardio and dedicate minimal time to weight lifting. You have people (like me) who don't focus enough on flexibility.

Unless your goal is to be a top notch runner or top notch lifter or something then everyone needs to have a good balance. These programs do provide that in that short 90 day span, the thing is that the person needs to be able to sustain it after the fact. This becomes difficult for people who are used to working out on a pre-made schedule rather than doing it on their own. In the same way, a person can get similar results on their own if they're working out on their own with a good balance in their routine.

When it comes to time, someone who's a noob can spend an hour max and get a great workout. New lifters don't need to spend more than 30-45 minutes lifting. I really don't see the need for it. As you start hitting plateaus is usually when you start adding other stuff in there to help augment your workout. A new lifter can go quite a few months before that happens. You can then add in cardio for the rest of your workout or do it on off days. 1 hour for 5 days in a week will give a good mix of cardio and lifting. Add in travel time (hopefully no more than half an hour both ways). Not much of a difference between that and P90X.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina

An easy enough program is one that you WANT stick with and see results. Everyone has different goals and other variables that don't necessarily make starting strength the best choice. Don't be that guy.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
:biglaugh: What .. the hell just happened to this thread? I feel like i'm in the middle of a dude in the gym bro-in off for no reason. Let's get back to the subject, eh?

I cannot believe the argument went from "Hey.. if people want to do something to get in shape, so be it" to "EXCHANGE PICS BRAH!" What the hell is that? If anyone is shocked why people hate going to the gym because people like that... then the person shocked is probably part of the problem rather than the solution.

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
Alrighty, I know who I am ignoring now. Don't like Beachbody, I get it. Said your piece, now beat it. No need to cut everyone down.

Anyhow, I just started T25 once again in the morning. Keeping my weight lifting routine rotating in the afternoon/evening though, should be fun:laugh::cry:

finnbalor*

:biglaugh: What .. the hell just happened to this thread? I feel like i'm in the middle of a dude in the gym bro-in off for no reason. Let's get back to the subject, eh?

I cannot believe the argument went from "Hey.. if people want to do something to get in shape, so be it" to "EXCHANGE PICS BRAH!" What the hell is that? If anyone is shocked why people hate going to the gym because people like that... then the person shocked is probably part of the problem rather than the solution.

Fragile egos here, post my measurements, my works and offer friendly advice, offer myself to prove that I say... dance on a pin for everyone taking cheap shots... I'm such a 'gym bro'

Have fun doing polymetrics behind a screen kids.

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
Fragile egos here, post my measurements, my works and offer friendly advice, offer myself to prove that I say... dance on a pin for everyone taking cheap shots... I'm such a 'gym bro'

Have fun doing polymetrics behind a screen kids.

Pictures mean absolutely **** all in the absence of SO much other information.

But if you're happy with your body and your program, great! Enjoy it!

Just let others enjoy theirs :)

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Alrighty, I know who I am ignoring now. Don't like Beachbody, I get it. Said your piece, now beat it. No need to cut everyone down.

Anyhow, I just started T25 once again in the morning. Keeping my weight lifting routine rotating in the afternoon/evening though, should be fun:laugh::cry:

Wow, thats a lot! Good luck doing both. Although from what I've heard, T25 is the "easier" of the Shaun T programs (I mean, not actually easy, but less intense maybe?).

On the plus side, you get to eat lots of food to meet your calories now. :laugh:

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
Wow, thats a lot! Good luck doing both. Although from what I've heard, T25 is the "easier" of the Shaun T programs (I mean, not actually easy, but less intense maybe?).

On the plus side, you get to eat lots of food to meet your calories now. :laugh:

Yeah thanks man. I started already and it's fun; I have done a couple cycles of T25 and you are so right by the word easier in quotations :laugh: Yeah less intense for sure than Insanity (which I have done a few cycles of) and I really like that it is straight up 25 mins and you get a great pop going to start the day.

Eating like a champ, man! You give any of these beachbody series a go too?

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Yeah thanks man. I started already and it's fun; I have done a couple cycles of T25 and you are so right by the word easier in quotations :laugh: Yeah less intense for sure than Insanity (which I have done a few cycles of) and I really like that it is straight up 25 mins and you get a great pop going to start the day.

Eating like a champ, man! You give any of these beachbody series a go too?

I've done Insanity in the past, and I tried doing T25 last year but I could never get into a groove with it. I'm currently doing Max:30 right now and I love it. I've already decided I'm gonna give it another go after I'm done this round!

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Meh don't even bother bickering with the guy. It's so far gone. 100 people come in and say "It's about just trying a healthier lifestyle" and being supportive to whatever motivates a human. One guy starts gym-bro'ing and we all fall into the trap. :laugh: Just let it go. It's clear as day wrong.

I've done Insanity in the past, and I tried doing T25 last year but I could never get into a groove with it. I'm currently doing Max:30 right now and I love it. I've already decided I'm gonna give it another go after I'm done this round!

Awesome stuff. I'm entering month two. I freaking love Cardio Challenge, Friday Fight, and Tabata Strength. Three of the best workouts out of any Shaun T workouts.

I'm probably going to keep Friday Fight as a workout even when I head back to the gym after Insanity Max 30. That's a solid cardio day and I can add 10 minutes of stretching before and after to make it a PERFECT Friday workout.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
Whether someone is doing a gym routine or something like T-25/p90x/insanity it shouldn't matter. What should ****ing matter is that the person is trying to live a healthier lifestyle.

Smh. Just applaud the people for trying to get healthier.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Awesome stuff. I'm entering month two. I freaking love Cardio Challenge, Friday Fight, and Tabata Strength. Three of the best workouts out of any Shaun T workouts.

I'm probably going to keep Friday Fight as a workout even when I head back to the gym after Insanity Max 30. That's a solid cardio day and I can add 10 minutes of stretching before and after to make it a PERFECT Friday workout.

I'm seeing better progression in Month 2 than I did in Month 1, which is both awesome and weird. :laugh: I think month 2 overall is more strength-based though, where month 1 was a lot more cardio-based. So I guess I shouldn't be so surprised as I'm building more muscle now (maybe lol)

Just wait until you try out Friday Fight Round 2. :laugh: If you thought Friday Fight was a good workout... well, that's all I'll say. ;)

Right now I'm loving Max Out Sweat and Max Out Strength. Sweat literally has me dripping in about 3 minutes. Strength is awesome, I can actually get up past the 11 minute mark which is by far my best time on any of the videos so far (which is probably why I love it so much lol)

I'm anxious to see how doing month 2 will affect my month 1 times. I've heard that 20-10 tabata is nothing after you've done 45-15 but I want to see for myself lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad