Beachbody Series Thread (Insanity Max 30 Released)

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
Is P90X not a bulking program?

No, its not a bulking program.

Ur going to burn a lot of fat and lean up.

If you don't have any muscle u'll make some lean muscle gains but u won't put on huge weight IMO

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I just got done with strength training in the gym after Insanity Max 30. I've tested out all of the workouts for Insanity - The Asylum. I cannot ****ing wait to go all-in on this workout. It's incredible. Probably my favorite group of workouts ever. I have Volume 1 & 2 so it's a good 60 day training regimen. If anyone loves sports specific training - these are must owns. You can mix it with the gym and it's a great workout.

I also bought Cize for my girlfriend. I'm going to do them every now and then just to get a different workout in. If anyone is interested in it - let me know. I can give you feedback.

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
Asylum is the real effing deal and the hardest workout I have ever done - mad props to you ColePens. Have fun bro it is a true challenge!

Keep us posted:handclap:

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
I just got done with strength training in the gym after Insanity Max 30. I've tested out all of the workouts for Insanity - The Asylum. I cannot ****ing wait to go all-in on this workout. It's incredible. Probably my favorite group of workouts ever. I have Volume 1 & 2 so it's a good 60 day training regimen. If anyone loves sports specific training - these are must owns. You can mix it with the gym and it's a great workout.

I also bought Cize for my girlfriend. I'm going to do them every now and then just to get a different workout in. If anyone is interested in it - let me know. I can give you feedback.

How long are the Asylum workouts on average?

Also yeah I'd like to hear about Cize. Not too interested in it myself but my gf is curious.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
How long are the Asylum workouts on average?

Also yeah I'd like to hear about Cize. Not too interested in it myself but my gf is curious.

40 minutes to an hour. The workouts are so well structured. You basically have these segments of death and each segment just sucks worse. But the thing is... you get continuity and you build strength and explosiveness. The strength workout is nuts. Absolutely nuts. I also love that the stretch is built into it.

SPEED & AGILITY- 45 mins
VERTICAL PLYO- 40 mins
RELIEF 25 mins
STRENGTH- 50 minutes
GAME DAY- 60 mins
BACK TO CORE - 25 mins

And I'm doing some Cize just because I've never danced in my life. It's never been my thing and I could never do it. If anyone can motivate me to try, it will be Shaun T. I did Crazy 8's today and it was unique and fun. I was laughing and having a good time and didn't even realize I was working out. And I ****ing hate dancing.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Insanity Asylum Status Update: So I came from a 15 week circuit in the gym building strength and I must say... the Back to Core and Strength DVDs are must-owns. I was doing strength training for the back and these two just absolutely cut it up. The movements are simple and nothing too hard, but your back just gets cut beyond cut. Highly recommended.

Plyo and Speed & Agility are my 2 favorite workouts at home. I was fortunate to train like this for hockey so I feel at least a step ahead of the game... but my endurance in these workouts and making sure i'm explosive in the later part of the DVD is where i need to work the most. So much fun.

If you don't own The Asylum and love sports training, this is a must own. Work this in w/ working out in the gym if you don't feel like just doing 30 days. The DVDs are insanely versatile for any needs.

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
Started T25 again and have done a few days of it now and wow is my cardio bad:laugh: I LOVE this program. Highly recommended for anyone out there considering a Beachbody routine.

Looking forward to the rest of it :)

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
^^ Tabata Strength is excellent. One of the DVDs i constantly put in to get a good bodywork workout.

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
Update: Max:30 is an excellent program. This is definitely the real deal.

I really appreciate those who have all put reviews forward on it. Definitely helps and thank you for doing that.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
I've started mixing Asylum: Volume 1 and Max:30 -- holy hell is that a great combination. This is the best conditioned I've been playing hockey in years. I feel more explosive and fast on the ice. Now if only my skills were what they used to be...

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I've started mixing Asylum: Volume 1 and Max:30 -- holy hell is that a great combination. This is the best conditioned I've been playing hockey in years. I feel more explosive and fast on the ice. Now if only my skills were what they used to be...

Agree completely. Asylum 1 - Strength and Tabata Strength are two great full body workouts. Speed and Agility & Cardio Challenge 1 is crazy good for cardio. Game Day & Friday Fight are two end of the week workouts that challenge you. Throw in Plyo to kill the legs and become an athlete.

I just finished Asylum and I cannot believe how great it was. I had a blast doing it and it's the sports training I've been dying for at home. Max 30 gave me more mental strength then I thought possible. I always was a person who liked pain and working out, but Max 30 challenges you to deal with it even more.

There are only 2 workouts that I didn't really care for. Asylum Back To Core is boring as **** even though it did give me muscles in my back I never had before. Tabata Power is meeh. Not a great workout. What did you think of the workouts?

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
Agree completely. Asylum 1 - Strength and Tabata Strength are two great full body workouts. Speed and Agility & Cardio Challenge 1 is crazy good for cardio. Game Day & Friday Fight are two end of the week workouts that challenge you. Throw in Plyo to kill the legs and become an athlete.

I just finished Asylum and I cannot believe how great it was. I had a blast doing it and it's the sports training I've been dying for at home. Max 30 gave me more mental strength then I thought possible. I always was a person who liked pain and working out, but Max 30 challenges you to deal with it even more.

There are only 2 workouts that I didn't really care for. Asylum Back To Core is boring as **** even though it did give me muscles in my back I never had before. Tabata Power is meeh. Not a great workout. What did you think of the workouts?

I couldn't agree with the bolded more. I've owned Asylum for 3 years and I was never able to get myself to do more than a couple videos. After having gone through Max 30, I can push myself through the Asylum videos mentally and physically.

For the Asylum videos, I love Speed & Agility (because I've always needed to get quicker feet and it really helps with that) and Strength (because incorporating the dumbbells makes for an incredible full body workout).

I haven't actually tried the Back to Core video even though I know I should. I just keep throwing in DVDs that I know will get my heart rate up each day. Tabata Power is also somewhat forgettable for me. I'd much rather put in Tabata Strength if I'm going to do a first month strength video.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
IF you can schedule a 2-a-day, do Back to Core in the morning and something cardio driven later. Back to Core is boring, but you will laugh at how defined your back looks. It touches muscles you never thought you had. But good lord I despise every time it hits the calendar.

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
Just want to say thank you to you guys for an open discussion on Max:30 & Asylum, I find it very intriguing and enjoy your breakdown.

I finished Max:30 on Friday and looking to potentially start up a second cycle on Monday. But I have also been toying with the idea of Asylum again so I really enjoy the compare and contrast from those whom have done it back to back or mixed it up.

Thanks fellahs:cheers:

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Is Back to Core a pretty quiet workout overall? I could do it at my apartment in the morning if there's not a lot of jumping and whatnot.

The first part is the only jumping variation. It's six minutes of jumping jacks. After that, you barely move. It's all moves that focus on muscles and tire you out that way. Lat pull downs with bands, an insanely difficult back movement that makes ur muscles scream, hip ups, but nothing that you move for. If you have soft feet, the only part that might wake someone up is the six minutes of jumping jacks at the beginning.

Just want to say thank you to you guys for an open discussion on Max:30 & Asylum, I find it very intriguing and enjoy your breakdown.

I finished Max:30 on Friday and looking to potentially start up a second cycle on Monday. But I have also been toying with the idea of Asylum again so I really enjoy the compare and contrast from those whom have done it back to back or mixed it up.

Thanks fellahs:cheers:

What was your cardio challenge improvement. I went from like 6:40 (during squat kicks) to no max out after the two months. Blew my freaking mind. The only two that get me anymore are chair squats at the end or suicide Burpeees.

I highly recommend hybrid.

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
What was your cardio challenge improvement. I went from like 6:40 (during squat kicks) to no max out after the two months. Blew my freaking mind. The only two that get me anymore are chair squats at the end or suicide Burpeees.

I highly recommend hybrid.

W1 was around 12:45 & W4 was 22:45. Spent a lot of time refining form rather than going for speed. Did the cardio challenge again today and was at 23:45 but tried to increase speed. Burned through just under 600 cals so not too bad.

Think I am going to do month 1 again and then try a hybrid. It has been eons since I did asylum and I recall it being deadly. Mind you, that was before I quit drinking and I also recall being stupidly dehydrated every other workout. Which in hindsight was really, really dumb.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Killer work. And yes... dropping the booze and drinking water will help. :laugh:

Here are my Asylum stats after 30 days from the fit test.

Move| Day 1 | Day 30|Result
Agility Shuffle|9.5|11.5|+2
In & Out Ab Progression|32|36|+4
Side Lat Push-Ups|24|32|+8
Mountain Climber Switch Kicks|66|83|+17
Agility Shoulder Taps|5|5.25|+.25
X Jumps|33|35|+2
Moving Push- Ups|3.25|3.5|+.25
Agility Lateral Shuffle|17.5|17.5|Even
Agility Bear Crawl|8|8|Even

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Personally I do routines. This year went... Strength training (weight room), Insanity Max 30, Cut (weight room), Insanity Asylum.

An example of strength week would be:
- Chest/Tris (weight room)
- Legs (weight room)
- Shoulders/Back (weight room)
- Shaun T Strength DVD
- Full body weight room
- Shaun T 10 minute abs

10-12 total weeks

Example of Cut weight room:
- Chest/Tris
- Legs
- Back/Shoulders
- Shaun T Full Cardio DVD
- Abs/full body
- Shaun T abs dvd

10-12 total weeks

And then in between I would do a 5-10 week Insanity calendar which would keep me out of a gym for that time period which is a PERFECTLY nice set up for me because sometimes I just hate going to the gym.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
I've decided to try Insanity. I did p90x + x2 back in the day and got some ok results ( i always suck with the diet so I don't get as good of results as I should). My Gym workout is becoming stale and I need someone new.

Got the orginal Insanity since I didnt know where to start first. This should be interesting... Should be arriving on Tuesday.

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
I've decided to try Insanity. I did p90x + x2 back in the day and got some ok results ( i always suck with the diet so I don't get as good of results as I should). My Gym workout is becoming stale and I need someone new.

Got the orginal Insanity since I didnt know where to start first. This should be interesting... Should be arriving on Tuesday.

Best of luck with Insanity. It is the real deal and a very different animal than P90X. Shaun T is head and shoulders a far better instructor than Horton. Not a knock on Horton but just Shaun T is excellent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad