Status
Not open for further replies.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
That's awesome!
LOL. It was a blast. Almost all of the guys played at some level in their younger days and they take it pretty seriously. Not over the top seriously, but definitely very competitive. I'll admit that it feels a little strange to be the youngest guy on the team. My knees are still in relatively good shape, so I think I'll end up catching a fair amount, even though I'm a lefty....I always wanted to catch when I was a kid, but never got the chance to....

There's not a lot of speed on the basepaths, so if you don't field a ball cleanly in the infield, you still have plenty of time to make a play. Its also pretty easy to turn 2. I got out of a jam one inning on a double play. Not a lot of extra base hits, or guys going from 1st to 3rd on singles.

Most guys still are pretty good hitters and can handle a 53 year old fastball. That's the one skill that probably hasn't eroded as much. Pitching is a lot of off speed and breaking stuff. You can still sneak a fastball by a guy, but you need to set it up. Being in a wood bat league is awesome, especially if you are a pitcher.

My wife got me 2 wood bats for my 53rd birthday. It was like I was 15 again.....Wood bats these days are like little pieces of art. Its almost a shame when you crack one. Especially at $150 a pop.

old-hickory-ar13-maple-wood-baseball-bat-ar13-39__61263.1569695958.386.513.jpg

images

Last edited:

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
LOL. It was a blast. Almost all of the guys played at some level in their younger days and they take it pretty seriously. Not over the top seriously, but definitely very competitive. I'll admit that it feels a little strange to be the youngest guy on the team. My knees are still in relatively good shape, so I think I'll end up catching a fair amount, even though I'm a lefty....I always wanted to catch when I was a kid, but never got the chance to....

There's not a lot of speed on the basepaths, so if you don't field a ball cleanly in the infield, you still have plenty of time to make a play. Its also pretty easy to turn 2. I got out of a jam one inning on a double play. Not a lot of extra base hits, or guys going from 1st to 3rd on singles.

Most guys still are pretty good hitters and can handle a 53 year old fastball. That's the one skill that probably hasn't eroded as much. Pitching is a lot of off speed and breaking stuff. You can still sneak a fastball by a guy, but you need to set it up. Being in a wood bat league is awesome, especially if you are a pitcher.

My wife got me 2 wood bats for my 53rd birthday. It was like I was 15 again.....Wood bats these days are like little pieces of art. Its almost a shame when you crack one. Especially at $150 a pop.

old-hickory-ar13-maple-wood-baseball-bat-ar13-39__61263.1569695958.386.513.jpg

images

loved playing ball.
I played up until I was 35.
Then it became too much as there were games only on weekends and they were doubleheaders. Plus I hated tucking my shirt in and wearing pats when it was 90 degrees out

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Reactions: LSCII and Ladyfan

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Looks like I managed to also irritate my tibialis muscle. This injury blows but the new PT explained things a lot better and I feel confident that I should start feeling better in a few weeks.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Yep. As you can see over my last few posts I've lost my calm with this now. I'm done with idiocy.
Have people not had polio shots? Chicken Pox? Measles? Rubella? Seriously.
My faith in humanity is waning.

The U.S. and Canada still have to help much of the rest of the world get vaccinated. In my head I thought that was going to be the biggest challenge - not talking people who could get vaccinated into actually getting a shot. It makes no sense.

I'm with you. Here in MA, the majority of folks have understood the importance of the vaccine and gotten it as compared to quite a few other states. But not in my town. Here the vaccination rate is well below 50% and you can go on the town Facebook page and see the morons throwing out straw man excuses on why they won't, why masks are bad, how children don't need either because they don't get sick, and all the usual nonsense based rhetoric. It's so profoundly stupid that I've started to harbor ill will towards my fellow neighbors over it. I hate that this is still going on not because of anything but ignorance. I guess the issue is me and that I shouldn't be surprised at the human equivalent of the lowest common denominator acting like this, but I am. And I'm angry over it.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
I'm with you. Here in MA, the majority of folks have understood the importance of the vaccine and gotten it as compared to quite a few other states. But not in my town. Here the vaccination rate is well below 50% and you can go on the town Facebook page and see the morons throwing out straw man excuses on why they won't, why masks are bad, how children don't need either because they don't get sick, and all the usual nonsense based rhetoric. It's so profoundly stupid that I've started to harbor ill will towards my fellow neighbors over it. I hate that this is still going on not because of anything but ignorance. I guess the issue is me and that I shouldn't be surprised at the human equivalent of the lowest common denominator acting like this, but I am. And I'm angry over it.

I know. You're not alone. It sucks. I'll at least tell you that. I'm angry. (my brothers are dealing with your 50% idiocy and are on their last nerve)(my neighbours aren't vax'd either)

My Dad Voice.
'Enough. Sit down. Listen. You're being jerks. Come on guys. I asked you to do something. You never. You made it worse. Instead of cleaning you made a bigger mess. I'm not thrilled. Clean this up. Now. And I mean Now.' - that's probably close to verbatim a few times in their lives Grown-ups have to talk to other adults like that or bribe them... Seriously? What the hell is going on?
My patience is exhausted with this idiocy. Not the virus though because I doubt it's going anywhere - as long as so many assholes refuse to get vaccinated.
Yay!

Reactions: Ladyfan and LSCII

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Map: CDC indoor mask guidance now applies to nine Mass. counties - The Boston Globe

The number marks an increase from five counties last week, when the CDC first announced the new measure.
The CDC on July 27 announced an update to its mask-wearing guidance, suggesting that fully vaccinated people wear masks in indoor, public places in areas of the country with “substantial and high” transmission.
These are the nine counties where the guidance applies, according to data collected from July 25 to July 31:
High Transmission

• Barnstable County
  • Nantucket County
Substantial Transmission

• Bristol County
  • Essex County
  • Hampden County
  • Middlesex County
  • Plymouth County
  • Suffolk County
  • Worcester County

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
It's awful. The other day we drove by a playground that was still being built and had caution tape all around it. One of my 6 year olds was asking why there's a park but it has "ribbon all over it." and the other 6 year old pipes in "BECAUSE OF THE VIRUS!"

6 years old and this has now consumed their lives. I hope to god it ends soon and eventually the kids can look back on it and either have a nice laugh, or they look back on it with some pride. "Hell yeah we did that, and came out better than the adults did!"

That should be our default blame line for everything bad Bruins. Instead of 2015 or SweeNeely just blame the VIRUS. LOL

Reactions: TD Charlie

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
Hang in there Lonnie!

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL

Lonnie, it used to bother me too until one day I came to the awful realization that we, as a species, are simply too stupid to survive indefinitely on this planet.

Unless something drastically changes, we are going to be removed from this planet at some point in the future. Whether it’s because of a super virus or climate change, I’m convinced that we simply do not have the mental capacity, as a whole, to navigate these problems and the only question that remains is how long it will take.

I take no joy in writing this, but Abe Lincoln was right when he said....”If destruction be our lot, we ourselves, will be it’s author and finisher...”

Because of that, I’ve taken a new outlook on life. I still try to be a responsible citizen and do what I can to protect myself, my family and my planet.....but I no longer let the acts of others bother me. It’s not worth the effort and people aren’t going to change. I can’t beat the Internet, so I no longer try....

Last edited:

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
My latest fascination has been trying to learn how to bake bread. I've been thinking for a long time that I'd like to learn (because I love a good fresh loaf of bread), but never got around to it. Over the weekend I found a 1lb box of active yeast in the clearance section for cheap and decided to get it. Tonight I followed a recipe I found for soft pretzels, and it turned out imperfect but not bad for a first try. I think I could get the hang of it with more experience. Next challenge is a loaf of french bread sometime this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad