OT - NO POLITICS Beach, beer, cookouts, ice cream. It’s Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
My latest fascination has been trying to learn how to bake bread. I've been thinking for a long time that I'd like to learn (because I love a good fresh loaf of bread), but never got around to it. Over the weekend I found a 1lb box of active yeast in the clearance section for cheap and decided to get it. Tonight I followed a recipe I found for soft pretzels, and it turned out imperfect but not bad for a first try. I think I could get the hang of it with more experience. Next challenge is a loaf of french bread sometime this week.
My wife and I bake a lot of bread and we've tried all kinds of methods. If I could make one recommendation to someone just starting out, it would be to start with the book "Flour Water Salt Yeast" by Ken Forkish. Its a James Beard Award winner and his methods and recipes are so easy, it seems like you are cheating. He's got some how-to videos on his web site as well.

All you need is a cast iron dutch oven and you will be making baguettes that look and taste just as good as anything you will buy in a bakery. All in the same day.

Trust me on this one..

Last edited:

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
My latest fascination has been trying to learn how to bake bread. I've been thinking for a long time that I'd like to learn (because I love a good fresh loaf of bread), but never got around to it. Over the weekend I found a 1lb box of active yeast in the clearance section for cheap and decided to get it. Tonight I followed a recipe I found for soft pretzels, and it turned out imperfect but not bad for a first try. I think I could get the hang of it with more experience. Next challenge is a loaf of french bread sometime this week.

My wife and I bake a lot of bread and we've tried all kinds of methods. If I could make one recommendation to someone just starting out, it would be to start with the book "Flour Water Salt Yeast" by Ken Forkish. Its a James Beard Award winner and his methods and recipes are so easy, it seems like you are cheating. He's got some how-to videos on his web site as well.

All you need is a cast iron skillet and you will be making baguettes that look and taste just as good as anything you will buy in a bakery. All in the same day.

Trust me on this one..

Reading these brought back an incredibly fond memory that I havent had in years.
When I was little, million years ago, my Grandfather used to come visit every Sunday morning.
After early morning Mass he’d stop at local bakery and bring with him fresh baked bread/rolls. Sometimes still warm. The smell and taste lives in my brain. Something so simple yet so wonderful.
Thank you!

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Reading these brought back an incredibly fond memory that I havent had in years.
When I was little, million years ago, my Grandfather used to come visit every Sunday morning.
After early morning Mass he’d stop at local bakery and bring with him fresh baked bread/rolls. Sometimes still warm. The smell and taste lives in my brain. Something so simple yet so wonderful.
Thank you!
Now you are making me hungry......

Seriously though, give his recipes a try. They've got some easy doughs you can make the day before, refrigerate overinight and pop them in the oven first thing in the morning. 30-45min later your house smells like heaven.

Reactions: Gee Wally

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX

I'm a cat lover, and got a kick out of this - mostly, as the cat was likely terrified.

The announcers handled it well, and I agreed with their bewilderment over the Orioles refusing to open the bullpen door - twice. I'm assuming they feared the cat might attack, but that was not likely.

I loved how the announcers accurately predicted the grounds crew trying to surround the cat would end badly for them.

Reactions: eightspokedb

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
Anyone wanna come over and check out my new solar light

Attachments

• BAF07847-B8D4-4CEB-AC46-EF815F702980.jpeg
    BAF07847-B8D4-4CEB-AC46-EF815F702980.jpeg
    245.4 KB · Views: 9

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
The Really Worrisome Thing About the Delta Variant

"Here's the real news: there is growing evidence that -- for whatever reason (higher viral loads, something different about how the virus is handled by less mature immune systems, or something else), children infected by the Delta variant may develop a more severe form of the disease compared to illness caused by other forms of the virus.

In a recent NPR interview, Dr. Rick Barr, who leads the Arkansas Children's Hospital, said that the 'Delta variant is acting very, very differently with respect to kids ... just in the month of July, we have [admitted] over 40 to the children's hospital. .. and a number of those have ended up in the intensive care unit.'"

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan

I've been wanting to make an old-time Colonial bread recipe for a while that many Frontier farmers and Native Americans would eat.

Reactions: McGarnagle

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
@Bruinaura - Ummmmmm why is there a Titanic museum in Tennessee????

Titanic museum visitors hurt in Tennessee after wall collapses

Pigeon Forge is a huge tourist area. Dollywood is there, tons of stage shows. A pancake house every 500 ft.(I have no idea why)
They have Ripleys Museums, Wonderworks, a Thomas Kinkaid Museum(I enjoyed it, its not commercial but more of a venue for his paintings). THe next town over is Gatlinberg that has a downtown that everyone walks around and has a ton of shops and street entertainment, it also has a ski-lift and snow at the top of the mountain(and an icerink!), and massive ferris wheel(expensive to ride, yeesh), a Margueritaville with its own hotel within stumbling distance....its a tourist paradise. One thing I noticed quick when I moved to east Tennesse is that it sports are massive here, especially kids and college. Why? There is nothing else to do. You hunt, fish, or sport. Thats it.
So this area is kinda a getaway for people in the southeast, very popular.

I enjoy going down there once a year, especially during Christmas when everything is decorated. Lights everywhere. Last December I went to a stage show that was a hillbilly comedy, singing, and talent thing while you ate dinner(was delicious, I gave the whole thing 5 stars). While I was eating the stage rolled back under the actors feet revealing a pool and they did a water show. I was stunned.

So when you are driving down the main strip in Pigeon Forge you just see all this stuff trying to reach out and grab your attention. Sorta like Vegas or International Drive in Orlando. So you just kinda expect the weird. The Titanic thing I never got...we all think its odd and a bit out of place here. However you never really get a chance to fully form that thought because right next to it is this:
Wondeworks-Main.jpg

an upside down building next to a building that looks like the Titanic. Weird is a bit commonplace in Pigeon Forge.

Reactions: Gee Wally

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Pigeon Forge is a huge tourist area. Dollywood is there, tons of stage shows. A pancake house every 500 ft.(I have no idea why)
They have Ripleys Museums, Wonderworks, a Thomas Kinkaid Museum(I enjoyed it, its not commercial but more of a venue for his paintings). THe next town over is Gatlinberg that has a downtown that everyone walks around and has a ton of shops and street entertainment, it also has a ski-lift and snow at the top of the mountain(and an icerink!), and massive ferris wheel(expensive to ride, yeesh), a Margueritaville with its own hotel within stumbling distance....its a tourist paradise. One thing I noticed quick when I moved to east Tennesse is that it sports are massive here, especially kids and college. Why? There is nothing else to do. You hunt, fish, or sport. Thats it.
So this area is kinda a getaway for people in the southeast, very popular.

I enjoy going down there once a year, especially during Christmas when everything is decorated. Lights everywhere. Last December I went to a stage show that was a hillbilly comedy, singing, and talent thing while you ate dinner(was delicious, I gave the whole thing 5 stars). While I was eating the stage rolled back under the actors feet revealing a pool and they did a water show. I was stunned.

So when you are driving down the main strip in Pigeon Forge you just see all this stuff trying to reach out and grab your attention. Sorta like Vegas or International Drive in Orlando. So you just kinda expect the weird. The Titanic thing I never got...we all think its odd and a bit out of place here. However you never really get a chance to fully form that thought because right next to it is this:
Wondeworks-Main.jpg

an upside down building next to a building that looks like the Titanic. Weird is a bit commonplace in Pigeon Forge.
I've lived in Tennessee since 2007 and still haven't made it to Pigeon Forge or Gatlinburg lol.

I've been to Chattanooga several times, years ago. Loved Rock City.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Tesla let me go (along with 3 other northeast commercial techs) yesterday morning (after 6 years) but I was told am still eligible for applying for other positions. So sad though.

Considering the last mobile appointment I requested through Tesla took 2 months to get out to me I'd figure they'd need more.

Stupid trunk strut broke

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Boston mayor compares NYC's vaccine mandate to slavery, birtherism
The mayor of Boston said the city won't be following New York's lead requiring proof of vaccination at many indoor businesses, claiming the move is reminiscent of "slavery" and birtherism.
nypost.com Have a feeling this isn’t going to go over well in NYC where only 35% of blacks have gotten two doses.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Boston mayor compares NYC's vaccine mandate to slavery, birtherism
The mayor of Boston said the city won't be following New York's lead requiring proof of vaccination at many indoor businesses, claiming the move is reminiscent of "slavery" and birtherism.
nypost.com Have a feeling this isn’t going to go over well in NYC where only 35% of blacks have gotten two doses.

While I get the dislike of a vaccine mandate, I'm not sure her analogies are very accurate. I don't see how it's anything close to either of her examples.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ladyfan

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
So I'm at my hair appointment and get notice of yet another positive Covid case at work. This makes nine since 7/20.

:help::help::help::help::help:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad