OT - NO POLITICS Beach, beer, cookouts, ice cream. It’s Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Curious what people’s experiences have been that contract Covid while fully vaccinated. A couple weeks ago, I developed a sore throat, then fairly persistent cough, especially in the evening hours. Chalked it up to allergies but then my girlfriend developed the same thing about five to seven days behind me. My symptoms are gone at this point but she’s still hanging on to them. We took multiple rapid tests at various times but all negative.

Curious if this is at all similar to what anyone here, or other people that posters here know, have experienced after getting sick while fully vaccinated. It hasn’t been a big deal at all, but after hearing that my girlfriend’s brother and wife had something similar, I’m just trying to gauge any other experiences that may or may not be out there.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Ha ha! When I saw that yours was the most recent post in this thread, I just figured you were still getting up at 5:30 post-retirement.

Enjoy your visit!
I still wake up at 3:30 and am usually up by 5:30. I am a morning person. But driving into Boston around 4 am is tough. At least we beat the traffic.

Reactions: sooshii

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Curious what people’s experiences have been that contract Covid while fully vaccinated. A couple weeks ago, I developed a sore throat, then fairly persistent cough, especially in the evening hours. Chalked it up to allergies but then my girlfriend developed the same thing about five to seven days behind me. My symptoms are gone at this point but she’s still hanging on to them. We took multiple rapid tests at various times but all negative.

Curious if this is at all similar to what anyone here, or other people that posters here know, have experienced after getting sick while fully vaccinated. It hasn’t been a big deal at all, but after hearing that my girlfriend’s brother and wife had something similar, I’m just trying to gauge any other experiences that may or may not be out there.
i had those symptoms but i tbink it was the flu thing we caught from our daughter she got at summer camp. they tested her and she didnt have covid. i got tested but it was weeks after i got sick and i was negative too.
i had a sore tbroat for a good 5 days. stuffed nose and lots of chest congestion. lost my voice. and had a bad cough

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

The rapid tests aren't very accurate are they? I will say that allergies this spring/summer have been brutal though. All the random fluctuations in the temperatures has caused me to be miserable for the last 4 months now.

Reactions: Alicat

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Picked up a nice little vintage hifi system yesterday; priced at 175 but talked them down to 140 in an antique store (I am having them make me a custom engagement ring when I happened across it)

All technics gear, stereo system, record player, radio, and cassette deck below - 4 separate pieces housed within a wood grain/vinyl and glass casing with large VERY loud speakers (the “I’ll never be able to put these at full volume unless the old lady is out walking the dogs” speakers)

My dad gave me all his old Led Zeppelin records he played once to record back when he bought them as a young man and then sealed them back up (almost like he knew he’d have a son 20 years later that also loves the old stuff) and now I finally have something worthy of playing them on

4C1FC822-7BDE-4046-B02C-D22F561DE363.jpeg

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
Picked up a nice little vintage hifi system yesterday; priced at 175 but talked them down to 140 in an antique store (I am having them make me a custom engagement ring when I happened across it)

All technics gear, stereo system, record player, radio, and cassette deck below - 4 separate pieces housed within a wood grain/vinyl and glass casing with large VERY loud speakers (the “I’ll never be able to put these at full volume unless the old lady is out walking the dogs” speakers)

My dad gave me all his old Led Zeppelin records he played once to record back when he bought them as a young man and then sealed them back up (almost like he knew he’d have a son 20 years later that also loves the old stuff) and now I finally have something worthy of playing them on

View attachment 459671

You buried the lede.

Congrats on both counts!

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
You buried the lede.

Congrats on both counts!

See if someone cared enough and wants to talk about it, they’ll catch it :)

We were supposed to go to Yellowstone this year and I was going to propose there but with the house that trip got delayed (glad too, Yellowstone was/is a shit show this year) so now I have a new idea on how to surprise her with it. Also had to delay the wedding/party till late spring next year. All good. We’re enjoying settling into our house

Attachments

• 5E5F4324-BD53-4E8A-B0FF-17B0A3189397.jpeg
    5E5F4324-BD53-4E8A-B0FF-17B0A3189397.jpeg
    537 KB · Views: 9
  • DA26BCD5-BC9E-4875-83E8-DC5F31E76327.jpeg
    DA26BCD5-BC9E-4875-83E8-DC5F31E76327.jpeg
    576 KB · Views: 7

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
See if someone cared enough and wants to talk about it, they’ll catch it :)

We were supposed to go to Yellowstone this year and I was going to propose there but with the house that trip got delayed (glad too, Yellowstone was/is a shit show this year) so now I have a new idea on how to surprise her with it. Also had to delay the wedding/party till late spring next year. All good. We’re enjoying settling into our house

Congrats. Some advice I highly recommend: do not propose over water or anything/place where one of you could lose the ring if you drop it.

Solid ground!

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
If they don't have someone who can reasonably cover for you while you're on vacation, that's their problem, not yours. If you quit tomorrow, they'd have to have someone take over your duties. It should be no different when you want to go on vacation. It sucks for your co-workers, but this is how these things are supposed to work. You cover for someone else, and they cover for you, even if it's just as simple as saying the request will have to wait until you get back.
This. My old (and best) manager referred to it as the 'hit by a bus plan'. When I'm off work, I'm off work. If my company can't respect that then I'll find a better fit. Right now I'm a partner in a small company and when one partner is off, we don't bother them at all, let alone any of our employees. If an employee is on vacation and something time senstive comes in that we can't handle than that's our fault for bad planning/management, not theirs for having the audacity to use their vacation time.

Work to live, not live to work.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
This. My old (and best) manager referred to it as the 'hit by a bus plan'. When I'm off work, I'm off work. If my company can't respect that then I'll find a better fit. Right now I'm a partner in a small company and when one partner is off, we don't bother them at all, let alone any of our employees. If an employee is on vacation and something time senstive comes in that we can't handle than that's our fault for bad planning/management, not theirs for having the audacity to use their vacation time.

Work to live, not live to work.

I used to never take vacations. Just a day off here and there. Until my team and I asked for the $10 per day on-call pay that was stipulated in our contract. The boss took us to arbitration, and the arbitrator told him if he doesn't give us the $10, we don't have to answer the phone. He actually replied "I'm not worried, they are too dedicated to do that."

I put in for 2 weeks vacation right after that and told him "I'm not answering the phone." It was right then I realized no career is worth giving up your life. Work to live, don't live to work.

And by the way, just to bust our balls, he made an incompetent the primary POC on emergency calls. This resulted is an almost unrecoverable disaster on the very first call. Right after that, my team got their on-call pay.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

I'm convinced that it's all just seasonal colds and flus that PCR tests are mis-reading as COVID. I've seen a lot of people with mild symptoms who test negative on rapid tests but got positive PCRs. I've heard that the flu was almost nonexistent last year because tests couldn't really distinguish between flu and COVID.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I'm convinced that it's all just seasonal colds and flus that PCR tests are mis-reading as COVID. I've seen a lot of people with mild symptoms who test negative on rapid tests but got positive PCRs. I've heard that the flu was almost nonexistent last year because tests couldn't really distinguish between flu and COVID.

I think a more logical explanation for the lack of flu season this past year was most countries shutting down, coupled with social distancing and masking. I don't buy the rhetoric that doctors and nurses intentionally/unintentionally (mis)diagnosed people with flu as having covid instead. That's just conspiracy theory nonsense and one of the biggest excuses for why some refuse to do even the basic precautions.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Congrats. Some advice I highly recommend: do not propose over water or anything/place where one of you could lose the ring if you drop it.

Solid ground!

Im the type that over thinks everything so being over a sewer grate or water I might as well be walking a tightrope over a volcano lol

I have a very sneaky way of giving her the ring I’m not gonna post here until it’s done, going in line with the overthinking and superstition see above…or to say it in a very 2020-21 way; “out of an abundance of caution” :D

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers

The thing I question here though is that PCR stands for polymerase chain reaction which needs present pieces of the RNA or DNA that you’re looking for, and I can’t imagine they’d design the tests so generically that they would allow pieces of a flu virus to be grabbed by the primer specifically designed to bind with sars cov 2

Deleted

Nov 11, 2017
Weezer was really good, but Green Day absolutely crushed it last night.

How did I used to go out on work nights and function the next day? I AM SO TIRED.

Man I'm jealous!! I am a HUGE Greenday fan. Saw them in Dublin a few years back and they were just incredible. I'm not a big concert guy but they are the one band I always keep an eye on and go see whenever they tour this side of the pond.

Reactions: Kate08

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA

I think what you’re talking about is the huge degree of inaccuracy with rapid tests. It was already less than 50% efficacy and that was with the original, or soon after original, strain. Clearly those would be misreading, not the PCR tests which are far more sensitive.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Man I'm jealous!! I am a HUGE Greenday fan. Saw them in Dublin a few years back and they were just incredible. I'm not a big concert guy but they are the one band I always keep an eye on and go see whenever they tour this side of the pond.

they played She which is my fave Green Day song. I was not expecting to hear it and was so pumped. Unfortunately my husband took a video of how pumped I was haha

Reactions: Mr Irish

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore

View attachment 459671
Upgrade that turntable to a belt driven with a nice platter and cartridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad