OT - NO POLITICS Beach, beer, cookouts, ice cream. It’s Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Quick browse through YouTube lets me believe they're a ska band? I can't get into ska these days. But hey, if they are good, and they are lesser known...then maybe they're the ones that would benefit from some extra time the most.

I feel like this is a great opportunity for all three of these bands to do some fun collaborations and covers with each other. Really make the most fun possible out of a potential bad situation for some attendees.

Ska/Punk, yes. My husband is very into that genre so I've gotten into it more beyond the Reel Big Fish and Less than Jake's.

Take Back the Power is a great song.

Reactions: veganbruin

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Someone I worked an event with a few weeks ago told me Monday evening they tested positive for Covid.
So I got the swab test Tuesday and let everyone I come in contact with know as well so they also get tested.
Got my test back this morning, NEGATIVE.

Asked for my parents to get tested as well, they have been under the weather. Dad was NEGATIVE.
Mom is POSITIVE. All of us in our households are vaccinated.
Sure enough, she is starting to lose smell and taste :/

I covet any prayers you can send her way. She seems to be doing well though and that is a comfort.
My Dad has sequestered himself in his garage workshop. :laugh:

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Someone I worked an event with a few weeks ago told me Monday evening they tested positive for Covid.
So I got the swab test Tuesday and let everyone I come in contact with know as well so they also get tested.

Asked for my parents to get tested as well, they have been under the weather. Dad was NEGATIVE.

I covet any prayers you can send her way. She seems to be doing well though and that is a comfort.
Sending healing thoughts for your Mom. Since she is vaccinated I would bet she won;t get too sick.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Sending healing thoughts for your Mom. Since she is vaccinated I would bet she won;t get too sick.

Thank you very much!

She is a trooper and keeps herself healthy. So I expect she will be fine.
But I have already sat her down for a heart-to-heart on telling me how she REALLY is doing.
She is the type to say she is fine even though she would be carrying around a missing limb. :laugh:

She is constantly cleaning and wont stop around the house ::sigh::
It's who she is and Dad knows better than to try and change that.

I'll keep tabs on her, make sure she is ok and resting when she needs to.

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs

Speedy recovery for Mom!

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Today an employee emails me to let me know he is "finally being released from the hospital."

No one ever told me he was IN the hospital.

Ya know, there's this little thing called FMLA....

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

I have begged and pleaded for them to train managers and employees here and they just don't do it. Well I'm sorry for trying to protect the company, but if you refuse to train people, don't be surprised when someday it bites you in the butt.

I feel like the Deckchair Rearrangement Officer on the Titanic.

CamFan81

HF Snob Agitator
Mar 22, 2009
RI
Just came back from Turks and Caicos (we love it there), I promised myself and my wife that I would completely disconnect which I was never able to do. However, what I was able to do was put some extra time in during the weeks leading up to my trip to set my direct reports up with enough guidance that they would be able to handle almost any situation that came there way. Then worked closely with a few individuals on my team to handle anything that the rest couldn't. Gave them specific scenarios that would justify reaching out to me and prepared them that any response wouldn't come until later on that night or next morning.

Told the rest of the company that I would be knee deep in sand and incommunicado.

Crossed my fingers, and sure enough I actually had to reach out to my group to find out why everything was so silent. I think sometimes its our own insecurities as leaders that think we can't disconnect, when in reality if we can't its probably our own doing.

Disclaimer: there have absolutely been scenarios in the past that no preparation or forward thinking could of prevented some of the distractions that have happened during previous "vacations". This trip just happened to be one of those times that everything was handled and precautions taken actually worked and held the fort until I was able to return.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
My boss was awesome and essentially told me not to bring my laptop. She told me do what you can and if she needs to step in then she and the others can provide cover until I get back. As long as the basics get done she said the fine details can wait until I get back.

The work in question involves senior leadership which is why I am still stressed out. If it were anyone else I would have pushed back.

I normally will check my emails at the end of my week off just so I know what I am walking into Monday morning but I was really hoping to truly ignore work next week. I do make it a priority to shut off all notifications on my phone and I've told my colleagues that unless something is on fire, I will put them straight to voicemail.

I appreciate all of the conversation around handling time off especially after the last year plus. Always some great perspectives and tips.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Best wishes!

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Just came back from Turks and Caicos (we love it there), I promised myself and my wife that I would completely disconnect which I was never able to do. However, what I was able to do was put some extra time in during the weeks leading up to my trip to set my direct reports up with enough guidance that they would be able to handle almost any situation that came there way. Then worked closely with a few individuals on my team to handle anything that the rest couldn't. Gave them specific scenarios that would justify reaching out to me and prepared them that any response wouldn't come until later on that night or next morning.

Told the rest of the company that I would be knee deep in sand and incommunicado.

Crossed my fingers, and sure enough I actually had to reach out to my group to find out why everything was so silent. I think sometimes its our own insecurities as leaders that think we can't disconnect, when in reality if we can't its probably our own doing.

Disclaimer: there have absolutely been scenarios in the past that no preparation or forward thinking could of prevented some of the distractions that have happened during previous "vacations". This trip just happened to be one of those times that everything was handled and precautions taken actually worked and held the fort until I was able to return.

T&C is a great time!

Reactions: CamFan81

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston

Best wishes to you and your family.

Hopefully your mom kicks this thing soon!

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

Fingers crossed for a speedy and easy recovery for your mom...

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
I haven't taken a single vacation day or sick day since 2019.
lol.
last year when school was remote i used every one of my 5 weeks vacation. 4 personal days 3 weeks covid time and 16 sick days. lol.
all to watch an 8 year old learn zip on zoom.lol.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I haven't taken a single vacation day or sick day since 2019.

I use my vacation for sure, but I don't take sick days ever. Last year I only took one sick day and on that day I still drove to the office to pick up a computer to get setup for work from home while I was quarantined.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
My brother booked a hotel room down the street from my apartment for when they arrive next week. He got a message from the hotel saying they aren't accepting bookings for anyone who lives within a 30-mile radius of the hotel, and they would be checking ID'S. It doesn't affect him since he lives several hundred miles away, but I guess they don't want to turn into a medical ward for people quarantining due to Covid.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
I’m supposed to be on vacation next week as I drive out west with mom and like clockwork I get an email about needing to hire a bunch of part time people ASAP.

Now I have to bring my laptop with me and do my best to sign on and do work when we stop for the night.

Every time I attempt to go on vacation suddenly they decide to do something that they need me to help with. I know it is killing them that they can’t ask me to move my vacation again like they did last year.

For once can they just respect my time off like they do everyone else’s? No one bothers my colleagues but when I or our recruiter try to take time off it is this catastrophic event.

Yes I plan to say something to my boss, whom I have a great relationship with. I’m tired of bending over backwards for people but not having them reciprocate. They’ve known for 2 months that I was taking this time off and why I’m taking it off.
Tell them to kick rocks.

They approved your vacation well in advance.

Ozamataz Buckshank

Oct 7, 2010
Massachusetts
I’m supposed to be on vacation next week as I drive out west with mom and like clockwork I get an email about needing to hire a bunch of part time people ASAP.

Now I have to bring my laptop with me and do my best to sign on and do work when we stop for the night.

Every time I attempt to go on vacation suddenly they decide to do something that they need me to help with. I know it is killing them that they can’t ask me to move my vacation again like they did last year.

For once can they just respect my time off like they do everyone else’s? No one bothers my colleagues but when I or our recruiter try to take time off it is this catastrophic event.

Yes I plan to say something to my boss, whom I have a great relationship with. I’m tired of bending over backwards for people but not having them reciprocate. They’ve known for 2 months that I was taking this time off and why I’m taking it off.

Just say you won't have access to the internet.

Reactions: Alicat

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
Well I am sitting at Logan awaiting my daughter's flight to land. She is coming in for a friend's baby shower.

It is early.

Ha ha! When I saw that yours was the most recent post in this thread, I just figured you were still getting up at 5:30 post-retirement.

Enjoy your visit!

Reactions: Ladyfan

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006

As they say: "the graveyard is full of indispensable people."

It's a common fallacy for employees, managers and owners to image their company will fall apart without them. Others adapt and grow into the roles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad